[comp.dcom.modems] UNIX PC modem autobaud detect by uugetty

bob@rush.cts.com (Bob "Rush" Ames) (04/26/88)

I've been trying to get my 2400 Baud external modem to work on
my 3B1.  It dials out OK, but when answering the phone, I can't
seem to figure out how to get my uugetty to change baud rate from
2400 to 1200.  I don't wish to be stuck with no 1200 dial-ins.
Since most unix-pcs are 1200 only, I've been teeing my phone line
so I can answer using OBM at 1200 and dial out at 2400/1200 on the
external only.  Can anyone help with external modem settings so
I can use it to both dial out *and* in?

Bob Ames

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, ucsd, nosc}!crash!rush!bob INET: bob@rush.cts.com

andys@genesis.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) (04/27/88)

In article <716@rush.cts.com> bob@rush.cts.com (Bob "Rush" Ames) writes:
>I've been trying to get my 2400 Baud external modem to work on
>my 3B1.  It dials out OK, but when answering the phone, I can't
>seem to figure out how to get my uugetty to change baud rate from
>2400 to 1200.  I don't wish to be stuck with no 1200 dial-ins.

Use the chaining mechanism in /etc/gettydefs.  The last word in a
gettydefs entry is the entry to start over with if getty (or
uugetty) receives a null or a framing error.  I recall that there
are bugs in the 3B1 tty driver that make it impossible/difficult to
step up in baud rate.  However if you answer at 2400 and someone
dials in at 1200 and hits a carriage return, the driver and getty
will do the right stuff.  Do it like this:

2400name#getty parameters.....#1200name
1200name#getty parameters.....#2400name

then in /etc/inittab spawn uugetty using 2400name.  On a hardwired
line on my 3B1 I do this successfully with 19200 and 9600.  As I said,
you have to start at the higher speed on the 3B1.  On other boxes
(no not the 7300) you can answer at any speed and get to where you
want to be.
--
andy sherman / at&t bell laboratories (medical diagnostic systems)
room 2h-097 / 480 red hill road / middletown, nj 07748

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (04/30/88)

In article <716@rush.cts.com> bob@rush.cts.com (Bob "Rush" Ames) writes:
>I've been trying to get my 2400 Baud external modem to work on
>my 3B1.  It dials out OK, but when answering the phone, I can't
>seem to figure out how to get my uugetty to change baud rate from
>2400 to 1200.

As Ken Brassler noted, there is definitely a bug in the 3.51 tty000 driver
that eats the very null uugetty needs to tell it to change baud rates.  You
may or may not have your switch settings right, but that's probably not the
problem.  I haven't gotten the Fixdisk, but I gather from unix-pc traffic
that the Fixdisk for 3.51 fixes this.

You might be able to toggle from 2400 -> 1200 with luck if your gettydefs entry
is exactly right -- be sure you're stripping parity.  It seems to me that in
trying to nail down the tty000 bug I determined that if the talker is at 1200
and the listener is at 2400, an \r sent by the talker will be heard as two
characters by the listener, one of which just happens, by the luck of the draw,
to be 0x80.  If your uugetty is stripping parity correctly \r should cause it
to toggle from 2400 -> 1200.  But once you land at 1200 you're stuck without
the driver fix.

I reported the tty000 problem to the hotline, and they sent me a new kernel,
months before the fixdisk came out.  I've been running it quite happily ever
since.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \