[comp.dcom.modems] TELEBIT modems and UUGETTY

mark@cblpf.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (04/12/88)

I have a single phone line and a TELEBIT Trailblazer modem.  I would
like to upgrade the existing 1200 BPS internal modem on the UNIX PC
to use the Trailblazer.

Since it's a single phone line, I must use uugetty with HDB UUCP
to allow both dialin and dialout on the same port.  This works fine
with the internal modem, and with the AT&T 4024, but the TELEBIT uses
the Hayes command set, and the Hayes codes and uugetty don't get along.

If I option the modem to report result codes, then every time somebody
dials in, the modem says RING, uugetty tries to log the user in as RING,
and the modem and computer start sucking up CPU time talking to each other.

If I option the modem to report NO access codes, then when it dials out,
if it succeeds or fails, there is no way for the computer to detect this,
since the modem has become silent.  This means you're dialing blind, and
debugging failures becomes very hard.

Has anyone solved this problem, especially for the Telebit?

	Mark

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (04/13/88)

In article <1133@cblpf.ATT.COM>, mark@cblpf.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
> I have a single phone line and a TELEBIT Trailblazer modem.  I would
> like to upgrade the existing 1200 BPS internal modem on the UNIX PC
> to use the Trailblazer.
>
> [wants to go uugetty in+out, wants to set result codes so
> the modem and getty don't get into a shouting match with
> "RING" looking like a login id]

On a TrailBlazer, ATQ6 sets "partial quiet" mode, turning off
RING and other codes for incomign calls.  See them anual on page
4-8 and 4-9.  It must have been done just for uugetty -- it is
wonderful.

--
Steve Friedl   V-Systems, Inc.   "Yes, I'm jeff@unh's brother"
friedl@vsi.com  {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl  attmail!vsi!friedl

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (04/13/88)

In article <1133@cblpf.ATT.COM> mark@cblpf.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
>I have a single phone line and a TELEBIT Trailblazer modem.  I would
>like to upgrade the existing 1200 BPS internal modem on the UNIX PC
>to use the Trailblazer.

>Since it's a single phone line, I must use uugetty with HDB UUCP
>to allow both dialin and dialout on the same port.
>If I option the modem to report result codes, then every time somebody
>dials in, the modem says RING, uugetty tries to log the user in as RING,
>and the modem and computer start sucking up CPU time talking to each other.

>If I option the modem to report NO access codes, then when it dials out,
>if it succeeds or fails, there is no way for the computer to detect this,
>since the modem has become silent.  This means you're dialing blind, and
>debugging failures becomes very hard.

>Has anyone solved this problem, especially for the Telebit?

There is a simple solution to this problem.

What you want is no codes for login and codes for dial out.

So set the modem to default to no codes.
Then is the dial out string for the number change the mode to
send result strings for that call only.  This is done by setting
the modem to reset on each call to the EEPROM values.

If you cannot put the codes directly in the dialers file, use a
dial prefix that includes the codes.  I will not belabor how
to use dial prefixes for this as this has been discussed just
recently on the net here and in comp.dcom.modems

Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bellcore,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	FAX:   (215) 938-0235

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (04/14/88)

yah, it's fairly simple really

you configure the modem to be very very quiet all the time.

then in your hayes dialer you have it send commands to the modem
to turn on result codes and the like

you also enable the thing which does an ATZ equivalent on carrier drop.
I forget which register that is

also if possible have an ATZ sent in the hyscls() routine (or equivalent)

This procedure works at least with MultiTech 224's and Telebit Trailblazers.

having it ATZ will force it to go back to being quiet.
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (04/14/88)

In article <1133@cblpf.ATT.COM>, mark@cblpf.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
> Since it's a single phone line, I must use uugetty with HDB UUCP
> to allow both dialin and dialout on the same port.  This works fine
> with the internal modem, and with the AT&T 4024, but the TELEBIT uses
> the Hayes command set, and the Hayes codes and uugetty don't get along.

We routinely use Hayes-compatible modems with HDB uucp on a
PC6300PLUS here at westmark.  The version of uugetty that is
supplied with this system supports the command line option -d as:

	 00:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -d8 -t 60 tty1 2400
	                                       ^^^

in our inittab file.  The -d8 causes uugetty to wait 8 seconds
before listening to the line, after an incoming call has arrived.
The RING message from the modem triggers this delay, and the delay
causes the RING message, and the CONNECT message that normally
follows it to be ignored.  After 8 seconds, we respond with login:
and incoming uucico dialers seem to be able to deal with that.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (04/14/88)

To use the same line for dialing in and out under HBD uugetty, try:

Set your modem to default to following the true carrier and not printing
messages by entering ATC2Q1&W or some such, and use something like the
following in your dialers file:

aj2412	=,--	"" \dATQ OK \EATDT\T CONNECT-ATZ

We've been using this for about 4 months without problems. The ATQ
turns on command responses and the -ATZ will reset the modem if you
can't connect (otherwise when someone calls in the modem will still be
set in 'print response' mode and you will get the login problems).

Hope this helps.

--
Morgan Jones - Bramalea Software Inc.        morgan@brambo.UUCP
      ...!{uunet!mnetor!lsuc!ncrcan, utgpu!telly}!brambo!morgan

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (04/15/88)

In article <1133@cblpf.ATT.COM>, mark@cblpf.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
> If I option the modem to report result codes, then every time somebody
> dials in, the modem says RING, uugetty tries to log the user in as RING,
> and the modem and computer start sucking up CPU time talking to each other.

We have optioned our modems to give numeric responses and it has
made life easier for us.  Uugetty (with the "-r") flag needs a
couple of CRs before it wakes up, and it seems that the single
digit response (followed by CR) doesn't give it trouble.  In
the rare event that uugetty *does* read the digit, it won't
go into crazy ucase mode.
--

jac@penguin.UUCP (James Carter) (04/15/88)

In article <1133@cblpf.ATT.COM>, mark@cblpf.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
> I have a single phone line and a TELEBIT Trailblazer modem.  I would
> like to upgrade the existing 1200 BPS internal modem on the UNIX PC
> to use the Trailblazer.
>
> Since it's a single phone line, I must use uugetty with HDB UUCP
> to allow both dialin and dialout on the same port.

The same problem exists with the MultiTech, 224EH series. I thought that
the level 5 MNP had something to do with it, but have since found that it
doesn't. I noticed that when the modem & cpu start "yelling" at each other,
I can sometimes put a stop to it by dropping the CTS signal from the 3B1.
This is connected to the RTS on the modem. This doesn't always work though.

As with your telebit, the 224EH uses the Hayes command set. I set up the
Devices file to show that tty001 was a hayes protocol, but that only handles
the outbound traffic. I am boggled at this point.

	Fast Enough  - Never Is!	| James A. (JC) Carter
	Big Enough   - Never Is!	| Penguin Business Systems, Inc.
	Cheap Enough - Never Is!	| ..!rutgers!pbox!romed!penguin!jac

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (04/29/88)

This is our dialer entry.

aj2412	=,--	"" \dATQ OK \EATDT\T CONNECT-ATZ

The modem is set atq1 and is also set to do an ATZ upon carrier drop.
The CONNECT-ATZ is necessary because if you try to dial out and the
line is busy, messaging is turned on but the modem is never reset
because the carrier doesn't drop (it never goes up).

--

roe@mult.UUCP (R. Peterson) (04/29/88)

From article <342@dsinc.UUCP>, by syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein):
> In article <1133@cblpf.ATT.COM> mark@cblpf.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
>
>>Since it's a single phone line, I must use uugetty with HDB UUCP
>>to allow both dialin and dialout on the same port.
>>If I option the modem to report result codes, then every time somebody
>>dials in, the modem says RING, uugetty tries to log the user in as RING,
>>and the modem and computer start sucking up CPU time talking to each other.
>
>>If I option the modem to report NO access codes, then when it dials out,
>>if it succeeds or fails, there is no way for the computer to detect this,
>>since the modem has become silent.  This means you're dialing blind, and
>>debugging failures becomes very hard.
>
> There is a simple solution to this problem.
>
> What you want is no codes for login and codes for dial out.
> So set the modem to default to no codes.
> Then is the dial out string for the number change the mode to
> send result strings for that call only.  This is done by setting
> the modem to reset on each call to the EEPROM values.

I'm a bit behind in my news, so forgive me if someone has already posted
the obvious solution for this one:

The telebit(genius modem that is it) has a mode that sends NO result codes
on incoming calls, and all result codes on outgoing.  No messing with
dialler scripts, or other such hackery.

just set:
ATQ6&W
  or
ATQ7&W

depending on whether you want codes sent to the remote.
(REF: page 4-9 of rev A manual - amazing what reading a manual
can do)
Actually, either of the 'partial' quiet modes will probably work.

					Roe Peterson
					...ihnp4!philabs!micomvax!mult!roe

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (05/02/88)

In article <277@mult.UUCP> roe@mult.UUCP (R. Peterson) writes:
...The telebit(genius modem that is it) has a mode that sends NO result codes
...on incoming calls, and all result codes on outgoing.  No messing with
...dialler scripts, or other such hackery.
...just set:
...ATQ6&W
...  or
...ATQ7&W
...depending on whether you want codes sent to the remote.
...(REF: page 4-9 of rev A manual - amazing what reading a manual
...can do)

Of course, there's no substitute for real life experience.  Despite what
it says in the manual, the 'Blazer Plus with 4.00 ROMs will go into a
"deadly getty embrace" even though allof its registers are set to the
values posted by Telebit!  And that includes Q6.  I know, I know: "it
SHOULD work the way it says in the manual"!