[comp.dcom.modems] trailblazers and terminals

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (04/29/88)

hi -- i'm still trying to justify the extra cost of a trailblazer modem as
opposed to a standard 2400 MNP5 modem...  my current question is:

how does the trailblazer do when used as a modem with a terminal -- talking
to another trailblazer???  will my terminal's screen be updated all that
much faster than with a typical 2400 modem?  if i am just displaying
one screenful of data at a time (as with rn)...

> how does the trailblazer do when used as a modem with a terminal -- talking
> to another trailblazer???

Just great.

> will my terminal's screen be updated all that
> much faster than with a typical 2400 modem? ...

Yes.

There are two kinds of modems in the world:  cheap ones (some of which have
large price tags) and Trailblazers.  I'm spoiled; I'm never going back.
--
NASA is to spaceflight as            |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
the Post Office is to mail.          | {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (05/05/88)

henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> how does the trailblazer do when used as a modem with a terminal -- talking
>> to another trailblazer???
>
>Just great.

Let me echo Henry's comments.  My time is expensive (so, don't ask
why I waste it on Usenet), and I spend a lot of time on email and
netnews.  I also work at home 2 days a week.  For over a year I've
been using a pair of Racal-Vadic 9600VP's, which made a *big* difference
to my productivity over 1200 baud.  But we've had the Trailblazers
for five days, and they put the 9600VP to shame.  Aside from
the almost-doubling of output speed, the character echo turnaround
is vastly better (the delay is just noticeable rather than really
annoying), and the delay before a screenful starts arriving has
vanished, though it starts a bit slow and builds up.  It's almost as
good as being downtown.

[Anyone want a couple of 9600VP's that cost us (cough) almost C$4K?]

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
--
{ uunet!mnetor  pyramid!utai  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (05/06/88)

oh well.  i wish i could afford a trailblazer, even at their 'deal' prices.
i ended up buying a supra 2400 baud hayes clone for $150 -- another usenet
referral...  i hope to buy a trailblazer in the future and perhaps turn
my machine into a usenet node...

thanks for the help, folks!