[comp.dcom.modems] Dial on DTR high

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (05/04/88)

I'm looking for an autodial modem that can be configured to dial a preset
number when DTR goes high.  For assorted reasons, we do not particularly
want to modify our host software to handle ``chat scripts'' or the like;
we'd prefer that it simply opened the device, and started talking when
CD came back from the modem.  (Note:  I do not want CD from the modem until
it's actually talking to the far end.)  I need speeds of at least 2400 bps,
preferably faster, and I need some sort of error correction (MNP will suffice).

Thanx in advance; please mail any suggestions to me.

		--Steve Bellovin
		{ucbvax,ihnp4,most of BTL}!ulysses!smb
		smb@ulysses.att.com

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (05/05/88)

Thanx to everyone who answered; the near-unanimous recommendation
was for the Trailblazer.

		--Steve Bellovin

faunt@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM (Doug Faunt) (05/06/88)

>Thanx to everyone who answered; the near-unanimous recommendation
>was for the Trailblazer.

In this group, TB's are the answer for everything!!! 8-}
(I think the group mind is correct in this, BTW).

Bill_Newkirk@rubbs1.UUCP (Bill Newkirk) (05/06/88)

Trailblazer Plus will do it.  Per their doc's (rev A, rom=4.0),:
   "The S104 register is used to enable automatic dialilng via the
    DTR signal from the local DTE."
Setting 104 to 1 "enables automatic dialing via an off to on transition on the DTR control signal line.  When DTR is asserted, the modem will go off-hook and dial the first number in the Number Directory."

Error correcting and 19.2kbps.  Recommended.

In article <489@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM> faunt@spar.UUCP (Doug Faunt (phone (415) 496-4727)) writes:
> >Thanx to everyone who answered; the near-unanimous recommendation
> >was for the Trailblazer.
>
> In this group, TB's are the answer for everything!!! 8-}
> (I think the group mind is correct in this, BTW).

As one of the Trailblazer supporters, frankly, for reading news remotely
I think I'd prefer the Courier HST - for most interactive applications,
the Trailblazer is great, but for things like rn and vi where a single
character is supposed to promote action, the packet delay is noticable
and irritating.  You also notice the pause and go when the end of the
output doesn't fill a packet and the packet has to time out before being
transmitted.

While I'm not about to give up my Trailblazer(s)  on account of these
little quirks, however it would be interesting if there was a way to lock
them into "short packet" interactive mode and/or provide a HST compatible mode.

Generally when people ask which modem they should get, I query what
the want to use it for.  Unix/uucp and mostly file transfer applications
are hands down for the Trailblazer.  Simple interactive use and BBS
access might go better with the HST.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

steveg@ritcsh.UUCP (in stereo where available) (05/06/88)

I have been using MultiTech 224E modems for a while now, and they have
one feature I have not really used even though I tested it.

Some of the programmers in my department do use the DTR dialing feature
so that when they turn on their terminal the modem starts dialing the
RIT dial in numbers.

The MT224E modems support optional class 5 MNP error correction and
data compression.

The feature you are looking for is called DTR dialing and when this is
turned on and stored, the modem will dial the number in slot "0" of
it's memory when ever it see's DTR go from a low to a high state.

Dialing can be aborted if you wish not to have it autodial in some
cases.

You should be able to find the MultiTech modems in various catalogs are
they are becomming quite popular now.

I have been getting real good prices from our local supplier of these modems
even though their list price is high.

Steve Good

PS by the way I did try to reply via mail, but mail was rejected.  I had
used the "r" command in "rn" I figured this info may be of use to others
so I am posting it now.

--
   ___      ___      ___    Steve Good      ...uunet!ccicpg!cci632!ritcsh!steveg
|@/o o\@| @/- -\@  @/o o\@  Network Administrator        BITNET%"SNGDCO@RITVAXD"
| \ o / |  / o \    \/-\/   Rochester Institute of Technology      (716)475-2702
 \ --- /  | --- |   /---\ <-THREE MONKEYS INCORPERATED