[comp.dcom.modems] Suggestions for an inexpensive 1200

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (05/23/88)

Recently, there was discussion on comp.sys.mac about Practical
Peripherals and their 2400 baud modem.  The result was 8 separate
endorsements, and mention of the "Hayes compatibility guaranteed, or
your money back".

Just one person complained that the modem was a pain for BBS sysops
(in answer mode).  He didn't say you couldn't get it to work, just
that 80% of the traffic on Opus sysop Echo on Fidonet came from people
encountering difficulty using this modem for a BBS.

kkim@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (05/26/88)

> /* Written  6:27 pm  May 23, 1988 by kls@ditka.UUCP in uiucdcsm:comp.dcom.modems */
> We bought 3 of these modems for fairly heavy uucp/dial-up use
> because they were cheap.  When they worked, they were fine, but
> all three failed within a month.

There is a 5-year warranty.  Did you send them for repair/replacement?
If so, what is the result?

Kyongsok Kim

Dept. of C.S.; Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Arpa Internet/CSnet: kkim@a.cs.uiuc.edu
uucp      : ... {seismo, ihnp4, pur-ee}!uiucdcs!kkim

rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) (05/27/88)

In article <78700002@uiucdcsp>, gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
  (about the Practical 2400 modem)
> Just one person complained that the modem was a pain for BBS sysops
> (in answer mode).  He didn't say you couldn't get it to work, just
> that 80% of the traffic on Opus sysop Echo on Fidonet came from people
> encountering difficulty using this modem for a BBS.

The modem resets itself to the speed of the last caller.  Unless you
set &D2 and drop DTR between calls (&D2 resets the modem on DTR low) or
your software re-initializes the modem between calls, you will have
some problems.  We have these problems with using them on a Unix
machine (AT&T 3B1) that doesn't drop DTR between logins.