[comp.dcom.modems] Ok what modems should people avoid?

steveg@ritcsh.UUCP (in stereo where available) (05/16/88)

When asked for a modem to recomend we all jump on the wagon and raise a
flag for those modems we hold dear to our harts.  Those that have the
features we like and never seem to break down.

Well it even seem alot of us try to defend our modems.  We lets face it
there are quite a few very good to excellent modems out in the market.

But maybe we should put together a list of modems with REAL problems.
Don't add modem to the list just because when you compared two you found
one better than the other.  I am looking for a list of SICK PUPPY MODEMS.
Yes I want to know what modems to avoid with a TEN FOOT POLE!.

If people will respond via E-mail, I will compile the answers and post
a composit response.

It would be a good idea to explain why the modem deserves to be put
in the set of "ONLY IF IT WAS THE LAST MODEM ON EARTH".

My reasons for wanting to compile this list are selfish partly.  I will
get complaints from users from time to time who have troulbel staying
connected to our dial in modems.  Meanwhile the majority of users with
various modem seem to work ok.  So part of this list will hopefully show
what modems may have troulbe working with other venders, or what modems
don't handle noise lines well...

Disclaimner:  I am doing this on my own.  No support or anything else
is portraid by RIT (my work place).   Hey what can I say, if a vender has
a pore modem they should not be marketing it (fertilizer would be a better
choice).

--
   ___      ___     ___   Steve Good       ...uunet!ccicpg!cci632!ritcsh!steveg
|@/o o\@| @/- -\@ @/o o\@ Network Administrator         BITNET%"SNGDCO@RITVAXD"
| \ o / |  / o \   \/-\/  Rochester Institute of Technology       (716)475-2702
 \ --- /  | --- |  /---\  "I hear nothing, I see nothing, I say nothing" Shultz

> ... "ONLY IF IT WAS THE LAST MODEM ON EARTH".

But if it's the last modem on Earth there's nobody to talk to so it
doesn't matter...  :-)
--
NASA is to spaceflight as            |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
the Post Office is to mail.          | {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry

len@netsys.UUCP (Len Rose) (05/20/88)

From personal experience with two of these modems..

FASTCOMM TURBO (19.2K) ..
They don't work with any known protocol (can't count ymodem/g
since they removed the error correction) ..

I understand that they finally got xmodem working on them,
but you have to pay for their rom upgrade..

The MF tones are slightly off frequency,making it difficult
to access certain pbx systems.

One of our modems started emitting so much spurious noise in
the RF spectrum that we had to stop using it..

So much for Fastcomm..

--
Len Rose - len@ames.arc.nasa.gov
 or {ames,decuac,ihnp4}!netsys!len

coffin@xroads.UUCP (Chris Coffin) (05/21/88)

When we were first putting up Crossroads, we had several
Paradyne modems. (not sure of the model number, they are blue in
color)

These modems are totally worthless. They don't handle CD
correctly. (CD is ALWAYS asserted, with no way to enable it to
reflect the true state of carrier) This makes them unsuitable
for dial-up use, as the tty driver derives SIGHUP from the CD
signal.

Baud rate switching can only be done via a switch on the modem.

The command set of these modems uses a % (percent character). As
a result, they eat percent signs. this makes up/downloadeng,
uucp transfers, etc through these modems impossible.

We ended up with a hayes 1200 and 2 USR Courier modems and are
very satisfied with them. AVOID PARADYNE MODEMS LIKE THE PLAGUE!

I know paradyne is on the net. Hopefully they will read this.

Chris

--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 \/   (602) 971-2240

mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) (06/01/88)

In article <488@xroads.UUCP> coffin@xroads.UUCP (Chris Coffin) writes:
>When we were first putting up Crossroads, we had several
>Paradyne modems. (not sure of the model number, they are blue in
>color)
>
>These modems are totally worthless. They don't handle CD correctly

I've been using a Paradyne FDX 2400 and an ARK 24K (same modem) for about
two years on a Tandy 6000.  They have worked well.  The only problem I've
had has been caused by cheap 2400 modems on the other end which seem to
have carrier frequencies outside the band the modems will accept.  The
modems use either the Hayes command set or their own; we use the latter.

Mike Squires Allegheny College Meadville, PA 16335 814 724 3360
uucp: ..!mandrill!ncoast!{mikes,peng!sir-alan!mikes} or ..!pitt!sir-alan!mikes
BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX) MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)