[comp.dcom.modems] HELP ME!!AA

JJ@cup.portal.com (05/24/88)

Poor College Student needs Your Help!!   :-(

Hi.  I just finished my junior year in college, and now I'm
faced with a major problem.  I can't afford to pay for my senior
year.  I've tried everything.  I can't get any more student loans,
I don't qualify for any more scholarships, and my parents are as
broke as am I.  So as you can see, I've got a major problem.  But
as far as I can see, there is only one solution, to go forward.
I've come along way, and there is no chance in hell that I'm going
to drop out now!  I'm not a quiter, and I'm not going to give up.

But here is why I'm telling you all this.  I want to ask a favor of every
one out here on the net.  If each of you would just send me a one
dollar bill, I will be able to finish college and go on with my life.
I'm sure a dollar is not much to any of you, but just think how it
could change a person's life.  I'd really like to encourage all of you
to help me out, I've no other place to go, no other doors to knock
on.  I'm counting on all of you to help me! (PLEASE!)
If you would like to help a poor boy out, please send $1 (you can
of course send more if you want!!  :-)

Jay-Jay's College Fund
PO BOX 5631
Lincoln, NE  68505

PS.  Please don't flame me for posting this to so many newsgroups,
I really am in dire need of help, and if any of you were as desparate
as I am, you just might resort to the same thing I am.  Also, please
don't tell me to get a job!  I already have one and work over 25 hrs
a week, plus get in all my classes, plus find time to study!  So hey,
please consider it!  It would really mean a lot to me.  Thank you!

NOTE: Any extra money I receive will go to a scholarship fund to help
others in the same situation.  :-)

syap@ur-tut (James Fitzwilliam) (05/25/88)

*
*Hi.  I just finished my junior year in college, and now I'm
*faced with a major problem.  I can't afford to pay for my senior
*year.  I've tried everything.  I can't get any more student loans,

[...]

*If you would like to help a poor boy out, please send $1 (you can
*of course send more if you want!!  :-)

[...address deleted...]

*PS.  Please don't flame me for posting this to so many newsgroups,
*I really am in dire need of help, and if any of you were as desparate

Were it not for the recent "Send a postcard to the little boy with
cancer" fiasco (I never did figure out whether it was on the level
or not, with so many arguments in both directions) I could almost
believe this -- he sounds serious.  Since I just got out of a $14K/yr
school via luck, financial aid and generous parents I can understand
his position.

However, several thousand people will have to believe him enough to
send money, or he'll still be stuck -- so why should I risk the
possibility of MY money being no help?

Sir Jay-Jay:
If you're serious, give us the name of your college and the phone number
of your Registrar's Office so we can verify you exist, and I might even
consider helping out.  If you're trying to be funny I respectfully
suggest you go soak your head.  [  1/2  (:  ]

					James

PS - Possible topic for discussion in either case -- is there such a
     thing as 'net fraud,' illegal in the same way as mail fraud??

domain: syap@tut.cc.rochester.edu
  path: rochester!ur-tut!syap             "Piano is my forte"  (-:
 GEnie: FITZWILLIAM

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/25/88)

In article <2115@ur-tut.UUCP>, syap@ur-tut (James Fitzwilliam) writes:
> In article <5807@cup.portal.com> JJ@cup.portal.com writes:
> *Poor College Student needs Your Help!!   :-(
> *
> *Hi.  I just finished my junior year in college, and now I'm
> *faced with a major problem.  I can't afford to pay for my senior
> *year.  I've tried everything.  I can't get any more student loans,
>
> *If you would like to help a poor boy out, please send $1 (you can
> *of course send more if you want!!  :-)
>
> *PS.  Please don't flame me for posting this to so many newsgroups,
> *I really am in dire need of help, and if any of you were as desparate

> Were it not for the recent "Send a postcard to the little boy with
> cancer" fiasco (I never did figure out whether it was on the level
> or not, with so many arguments in both directions) I could almost
> believe this -- he sounds serious.  Since I just got out of a $14K/yr
> school via luck, financial aid and generous parents I can understand
> his position.

I almost wrote down the address, fished a dollar out of my pocket, and
mailed it off (having had much the same experience of being a poor college
student at the end of my rope financially) -- until I started to think
about it carefully.  People don't write checks for $1 -- they send cash.
(Untraceable, and no way to prove who got it -- first clue).  We aren't
given the full name of the poor college student anywhere in the posting
-- second clue.  The address is a P.O. box, no street address -- third clue.

I will be charitable, and hope this was intended as humor, or perhaps
an experiment in psychology at the University of Nebraska.

Clayton E. Cramer

ww@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Wolfman) (05/27/88)

   Doesn't it strike anyone strange that 'Jay-Jay' can afford to pay
Portal communications for using Portal every month, and use that for
usenet access, when he is going to college and should have a link to
the usenet there?  People like this should be hunted down and tortured
slowly.  I too have serious financial woes brought about by the expense
of college.  All it takes is a little innovation and work to find a
legitimate means to pay for college.  I personally write Shareware,
and this helps out tremendously.  I do not consider begging innovative
and from the looks of it this 'Jay-jay' seems to be trying to pull a
fast one over on those of us who have generous hearts.  If 'Jay-Jay' is
not trying to pull a fast one, then he has my sympathies, but my
suggestion is not to beg, but to do something worthwhile.  Don't spend
your money on luxuries like Portal and then expect someone to help you
out because you don't have the money to pay for something.  Let's be
real here, learn some responsibility 'Jay-Jay', and that will be your
ticket to finishing college. By the way, can someone out there
send me money to pay for a porsche, a small mansion, a beachfront condo,
and a small jet?  Or how about just telling me to get off my can and
make a good enough GPA to get a scholarship....  ;-)
..
Wayne Wolf
(another 'in-debt' and very sarcastic college student)

David_W_Tamkin@cup.portal.com (05/31/88)

In article 15759@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU Wolfman assumes that JJ has access
to the net at his college.

I do not defend JJ's tactics.  They offend me and give Portal a bad name.
At least, Wolfman, you recognized that Portal is a site that retails net
access (as well as its internal offerings); one trouble I have on the net
is that many people expect my equipment and facilities to be identical to
theirs.

The real point, I believe, is that if JJ is paying Portal their $10 per
month and P C Purs_it their $25 per month, if he really were desperate
for funds he could give both up.  The net itself is a luxury.

My point of contention with Wolfman is this:

=

   Doesn't it strike anyone strange that 'Jay-Jay' can afford to pay
Portal communications for using Portal every month, and use that for
usenet access, when he is going to college and should have a link to
the usenet there?

=

Not all campuses have sites.  Not all students of the campuses with sites
have access.  JJ can live without the Usenet and the rest of what Portal
provides, including the higher electric bills and perhaps telephone bills
that leisure-time telecommunicating engenders.  JJ can also live without
access to anything that requires PCP.  He/She could even go so far as to
sell the computer system to raise funds.

I'm sure Wolfman didn't intend to imply that Portal was dispensable for
JJ solely because alternative access to the net existed; net access itself
is dispensable.  But Wolfman did seem to think that net access is available
to all students at all institutes of higher education.

imcc@cs.strath.ac.uk (Ian McCord) (06/03/88)

From article <5807@cup.portal.com>, by JJ@cup.portal.com:
> Poor College Student needs Your Help!!   :-(
>
> Hi.  I just finished my junior year in college, and now I'm
> faced with a major problem.  I can't afford to pay for my senior
> year.  I've tried everything.  I can't get any more student loans,
> I don't qualify for any more scholarships, and my parents are as
> broke as am I.  So as you can see, I've got a major problem.  But
> as far as I can see, there is only one solution, to go forward.
> I've come along way, and there is no chance in hell that I'm going
> to drop out now!  I'm not a quiter, and I'm not going to give up.
>etc etc etc

I suppose working for a living is out. < no smiley >
From later postings it seems that this is a hoax.
The main thing it's got going for it is that its so wide spread group wise
Maybee there should be a generic hoax warning group so that people don't
have to find every instance of the above. I personally find it iritating
that so mutch bandwidth is taken up by the initial posting . The replies
are excussed on the grounds that ' JJ's ' intent was that all instances of
his appeal could not be covered. My question is does it cost more to cross-
post than to post to a single group.