[comp.dcom.modems] Request UUCP-Microcom AX/2400 settings

ereed@leadsv.UUCP (Ed Reed) (06/06/88)

Been trying to establish a UUCP connection from a working UUCP site
at 1200 baud without MNP to a SUN 3/50 with a Microcom AX/2400 baud modem.
Success is only at login as the flowing typescript session illustrates.

===== Script session edited to shorten
login:got: that
send "Upoptzc"
wanted "word:"
 Upoptzc
Password:got: that
send "%ppqxtey)"
root yardena (6/3-21:14-467) SUCCEEDED (call to yardena )
imsg looking for SYNC<
\20>
imsg input<Shere\0
Using \0 as End of message char
>got 5 characters
omsg <Spoptzc -Q0 -x9>
imsg looking for SYNC<root yardena (6/3-21:14-467) TIMEOUT (yardena)
==== script done

I assume that the issue here may be Microcom modem settings.
If you are receiving UUCP with a Microcom AX/2400,
I'd sure appreciate hearing of your modem set up parameters.

Thanks in advance.

    Ed
    hplabs!pyramid!leadsv!ereed

guardian@otishq.UUCP (Harry Skelton) (06/06/88)

[ ** munch, munch, munch ** ]

In article <3233@leadsv.UUCP>, ereed@leadsv.UUCP (Ed Reed) writes:

> Been trying to establish a UUCP connection from a working UUCP site
> at 1200 baud without MNP to a SUN 3/50 with a Microcom AX/2400 baud modem.
> Success is only at login as the flowing typescript session illustrates.

[ script info here deleted ]

> I assume that the issue here may be Microcom modem settings.
> If you are receiving UUCP with a Microcom AX/2400,
> I'd sure appreciate hearing of your modem set up parameters.
> Thanks in advance.
>     Ed   hplabs!pyramid!leadsv!ereed

I am assuming that you have a generic dialer (hayes set).  You will need to
force the data compression off along with MNP.  This can be done with a
\N0 (set the MNP off - regular 1200/2400 mode) \C0 (don't buffer data ).

Even though you may wish to write this to memory with a '&W', I would not
count my bits before you transmit.  The Microcom has a weird way of doing
things and not all settings are stored (so much for this modem!).

We use the Microcom (not our idea - long story) and found that there are
many versions of the modems even if they are "the same".  Check your
serial number against other  Microcom modems and see if there are problems
your modem may have.  Call Microcom to ask how many versions of the modem
you have exist and if there are any upgrades/downgrades (yeah.  downgrades)
that you can get for your modem.

Have any problems...My address is below:
        |_____|            /_/  "Hello Computer!"