[comp.dcom.modems] BYTE high speed modem article

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (06/07/88)

In article <6854@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> lim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu
(Kian-Tat Lim) writes:
>They ran all the modems at 9600 as that was the maximum rated I/O speed for
>some of them.

That is a terrible reason.  By that reasoning, they should have run them
at 300 bps, because there are some modems with 300 bps as their top speed.
If you buy a modem that can run >9600 bps, you will probably run it >9600
bps.

Now, that most communications programs cannot keep up at 9600, much
less 19200, bps *is* a valid reason ... but then they should have gone
with the lowest common denominator, which is probably around 4800 bps
(although I have seen systems that struggled with *that* rate).  What
they *really* should have done, though, was to run each at all supported
speeds, and listed each *at each speed*.