[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit Plus modems

guardian@otishq.UUCP (Harry Skelton) (06/05/88)

In article <9548@e.ms.uky.edu>, david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
> In a recent Communications Week there was a report of a similar
> technology -- data compression being used to get 38kbaud throughput
> out of a 9600 baud class modem.  It wasn't the Telcor technology
> being used in the compression.  PLUS, it was a *new* modem from
> Telebit, the T2000 I think.  From the article it seemed to be geared
> mainly for use between IBM mainframes.  There was also a quote
> from somebody wondering why someone would *want* all that bandwidth.
> If I had him in the same room I'd tell him a few reasons -- like
> NFS access to school for instance.  Yeah, that's the ticket :-)

I have received the information on the new telebits and it is awsome!  I think
this modem will put any idea for ISDN to sleep.  The thought of paying through
the nose over a year for ISDN for my machine is not, in my view, a good idea
since a $1300.00 modem can do what I need it to do for me.  As I understand
it, ISDN won't buy me 10megbit throughput but it is to help speed things up
with an additional whistle of having multible data links on one line.

I'd rather keep my old phone system and run 38K than to pay $$$$$$ for
ISDN tech., the boards to run it with, and the $$$ for phone service to
support it EVERY MONTH!

A little note: the new Telebit Plus will support Xmodem, Nmodem, Ymodem,
and a handfull of others (for those who still live in MS-DOS! (buy the
way, a PD-DOS (compatable) is about to be released...news at 11)).

Call for the info on the Telebit Plus. All the special offers are about to
end soon.

> I'm not sure if I see the need for 38kbaud modems when ISDN is
> "just around the corner" ...

Don't count on it!

 _     _                                           ___
|__|_||_||__  ||__|_|/_____// __//____//____//____/ ..!daitc!otishq!highspeed
        |_____|            /_/  "Hello Computer!"

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (06/09/88)

In article <9575@e.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>In article <113@otishq.UUCP> guardian@otishq.UUCP (Harry Skelton) writes:
>>I'd rather keep my old phone system and run 38K than to pay $$$$$$ for
>>ISDN tech., the boards to run it with, and the $$$ for phone service to
>>support it EVERY MONTH!
>I don't know what sort of charges they were intending for local use
>inside a town/lata ... initially I suppose the long distance charges
>would be fairly expensive.  But that's only initally, once it develops
>and they're accustomed to doing it, etc, the price'll come down

Some of the BOC's are offering a basic rate interface service, the so-called
2B+D.  One of these is Illinois Bell.  I've been told that their BRI cost
is approximately 1.3 times the Centrex service.  With Centrex, you can
run 56K data, with BRI you can run 2*64K data, which is obviously a good
deal.  The comparison was made against Centrex because BRI is analogous
to it.  A line is run to you, and all the switching is done at the central
office.

AT&T has a tariff for the (23B+D) primary rate interface service, which
goes into effect later this year.  I don't know any of the pricing details.
--
Chip Rosenthal /// chip@vector.UUCP /// Dallas Semiconductor /// 214-450-0400
{uunet!warble,sun!texsun!rpp386,killer}!vector!chip