[comp.dcom.modems] Limiting modems to local calls

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (06/09/88)

I'd like to limit outgoing calls from a modem to local ones.  Are there
modems or add on boxes that do this?  I tried the telephone company, but
they claim that there is no way to prevent LD calls.

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (06/12/88)

In article <4539@b-tech.UUCP>, zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> I'd like to limit outgoing calls from a modem to local ones.  Are there
> modems or add on boxes that do this?  I tried the telephone company, but
> they claim that there is no way to prevent LD calls.

There are after-market toll-restrictors (sometimes called
toll-diverters) that go between the C.O. line and your voice
terminal equipment (including auto-dialing modems).  One such device
is called Telephone Sentinel.  It is manufactured by
Telecommunications Technology Corporation, 6663 Old Dominion Drive,
McLean, VA  22101.  This is a little plastic box with male and
female modular jacks.  You program it with a combination of internal
dip switches and touch-tone commands from an attached telephone set.
You can block 1+, selected area codes, selected exchange prefixes,
or selected telephone numbers.  (Not an unlimited number of each,
but it has a fair amount of memory.)  It is powered by an internal
ni-cad battery which it can re-charge from the phone line, in some
cases.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney

klg@njsmu.UUCP (Kenneth Goodwin) (06/13/88)

In article <4539@b-tech.UUCP>, zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> I'd like to limit outgoing calls from a modem to local ones.  Are there
> modems or add on boxes that do this?

If you have UUCP source code, I have got a few subroutines that do just
that, determine accurately if a number is within your Local Calling Area
or even your Regional calling area. And they should be fairly (extremely)
easy to install. They are part of a ACU optimization package that
allows uucp to determine which dialout to use in order to minimize
costs. If you have several modems each on their own phone line with
their own message units, the code will round robin among them
until all message units are used up and then start using the cheapest
lines. I wrote this package for uucp in order to minimize netnews costs.
But then discovered it becomes obsolete if you place all your phone lines
under one billing number. Not a pleasant discovery, but the code is
still used since my uucp is now device entry rather than system entry
driven. I will post the code to the appropriate newsgroup (ie comp.sources)
if there is enough interest, otherwise I will arrange to send it direct
to you. THE ONLY Hitch is that you MUST have UUCP source in order to use
it.

Ken Goodwin
NJ State Medical Underwriters, Inc.
princeton!njsmu!klg

mark@clout.Jhereg.MN.ORG (Mark H. Colburn) (06/14/88)

In article <215@westmark.UUCP> dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
>In article <4539@b-tech.UUCP>, zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>> I'd like to limit outgoing calls from a modem to local ones.  Are there
>> modems or add on boxes that do this?  I tried the telephone company, but
>> they claim that there is no way to prevent LD calls.
>
>There are after-market toll-restrictors (sometimes called
>toll-diverters) that go between the C.O. line and your voice
>terminal equipment (including auto-dialing modems).  One such device
>is called Telephone Sentinel.

There is actually a much easier and cheaper way than all of this if you
don't wish to have ANY long distance calls on that particular line.
(this assumes that you have a dedicated line for your modem).

Just call your current long distance provider and cancel long distance
service for that line.  If you do this then you will not be able to
make ANY long distance calls over that particular line, except for 1-800
numbers.

You will still be able to receive long distance calls from anywhere on
the line.  This is much less expensive than toll-restrictors...

This may be an option for you...

--
Mark H. Colburn           mark@jhereg.chi.il.us
			  mark@jhereg.mn.org

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (06/14/88)

In article <272@clout.Jhereg.MN.ORG> mark@clout.Jhereg.MN.ORG (Mark H. Colburn) writes:

>Just call your current long distance provider and cancel long distance
>service for that line.  If you do this then you will not be able to

The problem with this is that apparently the shorter LD calls (ie, the
same area code, but another city) don't go through the LD provider.
The phone company basically told me that they can't provide a
restriction on all LD calls.  You also have to be concerned about
someone calling the operator and asking for a connection, but this
doesn't apply to a modem using the line.

--

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (06/14/88)

In article <272@clout.Jhereg.MN.ORG> mark@clout.Jhereg.MN.ORG (Mark H. Colburn) writes:
>Just call your current long distance provider and cancel long distance
>service for that line.  If you do this then you will not be able to
>make ANY long distance calls over that particular line, except for 1-800
>numbers.

This will only remove your "dial 1+" (i.e., default) long-distance carrier.
You will still be able to make any long distance call by dialing with a
10xxx prefix.

--Pat.

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (06/15/88)

>Just call your current long distance provider and cancel long distance
>service for that line.  If you do this then you will not be able to
>make ANY long distance calls over that particular line, except for 1-800
>numbers.

This is nonsense, for two reasons.  Reason #1, You can call places within the
LATA without needing a Long Distance Carrier.  As a matter of fact, in New
Jersey, it is not possible to tell by how you dial that you are making a toll
call (i.e. you can just dial 7 digits and it ends up costing you).

Reason #2.  Cancelling your default long distance carrier doesn't prohibit you
from making long distance calls.  You just need to use 10+ dialing.

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (06/15/88)

In article <5853@aw.sei.cmu.edu>, pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) writes:
> In article <272@clout.Jhereg.MN.ORG> mark@clout.Jhereg.MN.ORG (Mark H. Colburn) writes:
> >Just call your current long distance provider and cancel long distance
> >service for that line.  If you do this then you will not be able to
> >make ANY long distance calls over that particular line, except for 1-800
> >numbers.
>
> This will only remove your "dial 1+" (i.e., default) long-distance carrier.
> You will still be able to make any long distance call by dialing with a
> 10xxx prefix.
>
> --Pat.

It depends upon what is meant by "long distance".  Cancelling your
inter-lata toll carrier subscription, as Pat tells us, doesn't
prevent your modem from calling 10xxx.  It also doesn't prevent
intra-lata toll calls, which are carried by your local telco,
regardless of your inter-lata carrier.

In some areas, your local telco can offer a class-of-service that
prevents any calls beyond your local calling area, regardless of
which carrier would otherwise handle them.  If this service is
available, it's probably the best answer.  If it isn't, a
toll-diverter can be used, but you have to update its memory
whenever a new prefix is added in your local calling area.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney
Warren, NJ USA
{rutgers | clyde | att | ihnp4}!westmark!dave

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (06/16/88)

Since Xenix gives me the source code for a dialer and calls one which I
provide, I just added code to check the UID when dialing starting with a
0 or 1. This is used by cu and uucico, and kermit can't get a line
unless root allows it. I haven't had a problem yet, although I got
burned badly enough on the first time to make me paranoid.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) (06/16/88)

In article <5853@aw.sei.cmu.edu> pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Pat Barron) writes:
<>In article <272@clout.Jhereg.MN.ORG> mark@clout.Jhereg.MN.ORG (Mark H. Colburn) writes:
<>>Just call your current long distance provider and cancel long distance
<>>service for that line.  If you do this then you will not be able to
<>>make ANY long distance calls over that particular line, except for 1-800
<>>numbers.
<>
<>This will only remove your "dial 1+" (i.e., default) long-distance carrier.
<>You will still be able to make any long distance call by dialing with a
<>10xxx prefix.

You're both wrong, at least partially.  This will only remove your ability
to make inter-LATA long-distance calls.  It won't affect intra-LATA calls.
I can call anywhere in the 617 (soon to be 617 & 508) area code without
using a long-distance carrier, since 617 is all one LATA.  In New England,
there is a one-to-one correspondence between area codes and LATAs;  that
will change in a few weeks when the 617 LATA splits into 617 and 508 area
codes.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.bsw.com          120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109