[comp.dcom.modems] INCOMM Modems

km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) (06/10/88)

Does anyone have any experience with the INCOMM Turbo 2400
with MNP (external). I see it advertised for $239, which is
as little as I've seen an external MNP modem sold for. Also
they advertise that they will be upgradeable to 4800 and
9600 baud. (Recently I've seen the 4800 baud version advertised
for $339, though I don't know how much the upgrade is).
--
Ken Mandelberg      |  {decvax,sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!km  UUCP
Emory University    |  km@emory                             BITNET

mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) (06/18/88)

In article <2959@emory.uucp> km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Does anyone have any experience with the INCOMM Turbo 2400
>with MNP (external). I see it advertised for $239, which is

I purchased one of the non-MNP InComm 2400 modems and used it as a
dial-out modem on a Tandy 6000 for over one year.  The one we got
required adding a resistor in series with the 5V regulator to cut the
dissipation to a level where the 5V did not shut off; once done it
worked without problems for about a year.  It then began causing more and
more errors in uucp links and was replaced with a ARK 24K.  The person who
wound up with the modem, however, reports that he is using it without
significant problems - shorter duty cycle?

Mike Squires Allegheny College Meadville, PA 16335 814 724 3360
uucp: ..!mandrill!ncoast!{mikes,peng!sir-alan!mikes} or ..!pitt!sir-alan!mikes
BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX) MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)