[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit Requests Information

modems@telebit.UUCP (Modem Mail Account) (03/10/88)

We here at Telebit are very interested in the USENET community at large,
and would like to hear what features and functionality you'd like to see
in modems, particularly for the Unix environment. If any of you have any
specific ideas on features that you'd find useful, please mail to me at
the address below. We want to address the market as optimally as possible,
and this is one way to find out what YOU want. Please be as brief as
possible in your responses, so I can group and summarize them. I am
primarily interested in modem features, but other comments are useful
as well.

Thanks for your continuing kind words about our product, and keep watching
for more interesting developments later this year!

Regards,

Richard Siegel                           Phone:                   (408) 996-2644
Senior Systems Engineer                  UUCP:  {uunet,ames,hoptoad}!telebit!rls
Telebit Corporation                      ARPA:  telebit!rls@ames.ARPA

            "When the going gets tough, the weird turn pro"...HST

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (03/11/88)

In article <265@telebit.UUCP> modems@telebit.UUCP (Modem Mail Account) writes:
>in modems, particularly for the Unix environment. If any of you have any
>specific ideas on features that you'd find useful, please mail to me at

How about support for V.29 9600/4800/2400 modes to support G3 Fax.

Given the ever increasing number of G3 Faxes in the world, and the implicit
problems of running fax software under something like PC-DOS I think that
being able to dial up a fax machine from my Unix box would be quite useful.

Most Unix boxes (>= 80386) have enough processing power to drive the modem
at full speed and do required conversions without bogging the system down.

I don't think most people have enough use to want to dedicate a the money
and a a port to a Fax only external modem (and I havn't even heard of an
external fax modem, just IBM PC cards!).

So having a Fax mode in the Trailblazer would give us a whole new set of
capabilities at a fairly low cost. Telebit could even make a bit of money on
the deal by charging a couple hundred bucks for a driver etc to make it
usable.

A mail to fax gateway is pretty trivial given the required hardware and
appropriate driver.

Imagine being able to address mail to a fax address. Now you can include
your lawyer or accountant on your distribution lists. Or if you need to send
a memo to someone in your organization who isn't online there is no need to
print it, just mail to the fax machine and the Fax person will tear it off
and deliver it. Or for placing an order at a mail order house, just mail it
to their fax, with a CC to your accounting department.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

jerry@oliveb.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) (03/12/88)

In article <265@telebit.UUCP> modems@telebit.UUCP (Modem Mail Account) writes:
>We here at Telebit are very interested in the USENET community at large,
>and would like to hear what features and functionality you'd like to see
>in modems, particularly for the Unix environment. If any of you have any

I think a PEP modem for 4 wire leased line use would be nice.  Given
separate transmit and receive pairs it should run in true full duplex
mode.  Higher speed lines are usually configured for synchronous
operation so the interface should be synchronous or have that option.
Better yet, how about separate async and sync interfaces.  That way you
could still configure the modem using an async terminal.

I realize that there are leased line modems capable of speeds as fast as
PEP mode but they don't offer the same features.  If the line quality
deteriorates they fall back in huge increments.  They do not provide an
error free packetized link;  the data communications hardware/software
has to deal with the errors.  I doubt they are as forgiving of line
problems.  Finally, they are expensive.

The idea of a PEP based modem sliding its synchronous interface clock
rate up and down to maximize thruput for the current line quality
appeals to me.  (Look ma, no flow control!)

				Jerry Aguirre

ojala@clinet.FI (Petri Ojala) (03/17/88)

In article <265@telebit.UUCP> modems@telebit.UUCP (Modem Mail Account) writes:
>We here at Telebit are very interested in the USENET community at large,
>and would like to hear what features and functionality you'd like to see
>in modems, particularly for the Unix environment. If any of you have any
>specific ideas on features that you'd find useful, please mail to me at

One nice feature would be upgrade to CCITT v.32.  Currently TrailBlazer
is quite a nice modem, but in some areas (like here in Finland, where v.32
is currently the mostly used high speed protocol) it happens so that non-PEP
modem will be used, and in that case it would be nice to have also CCITT
recommendations in TrailBlazer modems, like V.32.

TrailBlazer Plus with PEP and v.32, I'd love that..

Petri Ojala                    FidoNET:      515/90, 504/90
                               UUCP:         ...!mcvax!santra!clinet!ojala
  "The one and only.."         Internet:     ojala@clinet.fi

> One nice feature would be upgrade to CCITT v.32....

I have been told -- this is thirdhand, so it may not be entirely right --
that Telebit is basically waiting for the market to settle on a single
CCITT standard for 9600-baud modems, at which point a ROM upgrade will
add it to the Trailblazers.
--
"Noalias must go.  This is           |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
non-negotiable."  --DMR              | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (03/25/88)

In article <1988Mar24.210415.4176@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
|> One nice feature would be upgrade to CCITT v.32....
|
|I have been told -- this is thirdhand, so it may not be entirely right --
|that Telebit is basically waiting for the market to settle on a single
|CCITT standard for 9600-baud modems, at which point a ROM upgrade will
|add it to the Trailblazers.

When I called Telebit (before buying four modems), I asked the same
question, and was given the same answer: a ROM upgrade will do the trick.
--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (03/27/88)

There is one 9600 baud standard out there that it would be very nice to
see the Telebit support, and that's Group III FAX.

They claim the hardware is super-general, let's see if they can do that
in software.  I would order the upgrade, although we would all have to
write digitizing software for outgoing stuff.  For incoming stuff, we could
take Fax input and stuff it to our laser printers, hi-res dot matrix printers
or even graphics displays.

I would order that.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

rls@telebit.UUCP (Richard Siegel) (06/20/88)

Pardon the wide posting, but since so many of you are using the Telebit
TrailBlazer Plus, this may be the best way to ensure that you see this.

Basically, Telebit is making some decisions about what new features to
incorporate into the TrailBlazer Plus (and future) modems. I would like
email describing (briefly!!!) what new features you'd like to see in our
modems.

To get you started, here are some ideas that other people have already
suggested. You may place votes for these, or add new features of your own.

	NEW MODEM FEATURE IDEAS....

	1. Fix Autobaud to work every time
	2. Full Hayes command set (identical)
	3. TCP/SLIP Support in the modem
	4. V.32 compatability (along with PEP)
	5. Higher Level MNP support (in slow speed modes), Level ?
	6. 4-wire Leased line support
	7. Group III Fax support
	8. Synchronous to Async Conversion

Remember, we ARE listening, so this is your chance to help define the next
generation of Telebit products! Respond to me via email, please.

Regards,

Richard Siegel           Phone:                       (415) 969-3800
Product Manager          UUCP:  {sun,uunet,ames,hoptoad}!telebit!rls
Telebit Corporation      ARPA:  telebit!rls@ames.ARPA