[comp.dcom.modems] 9600 bps modem observations - USR HST and TrailBlazer

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (06/12/88)

I downloaded about 20 files from a local BBS which has a USR HST 9600
modem, using DSZ (the MSDOS zmodem program) on both ends.  The
throughput is quite impressive, running between 940 and 1040 cps.  No
compression was done in the modems because the files were already
compressed using the MSDOS ARC program.

This is very impressive performance and equals what I got when I
borrowed the TrailBlazer for a few weeks (ROM ver. 4.0) and downloaded
some files from Chuck Forsberg's (zmodem author) BBS using the same
protocol.

In all cases noted above both ends used an interface speed of 19200 in
order to fill the modem communications buffer as quickly as possible.
Dropping the interface speed to 9600 resulted in a reduction of
throughput - dropping to 450-650 cps.  It's very evident that these
packetized modems *must* be driven at higher than their transmission
speed in order to get the optimum throughput.

I just got word yesterday that USR is coming out with an update for
the HST to increase the reverse channel to 450 bps.  That might not
sound like much compared to 300, but should improve the interactive
terminal session response considerably.

While attending the Trenton Computer Festival I learned that almost
90% of the BBSs in the country that are using 9600 bps are using the
USR HST.  This is across-the-board for all types of microcomputer BBS
systems, not just the IBMPC.

While it is true that the TrailBlazer is becoming the defacto standard
for Usenet hosts, I think the reason for this is the uucp-spoofing.
In the real world of DDN host interactive terminal usage I feel that
the HST would be a far better choice for dial-in ports which are not
normally used for dialing out because the host is connected to the
network for communication with other hosts.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M and MSDOS archives at SIMTEL20.ARPA [26.0.0.74]
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie: W8SDZ
RCP/M Royal Oak: 313-759-6569 - 300, 1200, 2400 (V.22bis) or 9600 (USR HST)

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (06/16/88)

In article <KPETERSEN.12405887236.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARPA>, W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) writes:
> I downloaded about 20 files from a local BBS which has a USR HST 9600
> modem, using DSZ (the MSDOS zmodem program) on both ends.  The
> throughput is quite impressive, running between 940 and 1040 cps.  No
> compression was done in the modems because the files were already
> compressed using the MSDOS ARC program.
>
> This is very impressive performance and equals what I got when I
> borrowed the TrailBlazer for a few weeks (ROM ver. 4.0) and downloaded
> some files from Chuck Forsberg's (zmodem author) BBS using the same
> protocol.

   I know.  I have had an HST for over 6 months and I love the thing!  I used
to have a 212 Apple Cat on an Apple //e, (1200 Baud) and that was a hell of an
improvement over my 300 Baud cat back in 1983... At any rate, the HST really
does wonders for your long distatnce phone bills, and you can't beat the price.
Its around $600 mail order right now...

> I just got word yesterday that USR is coming out with an update for
> the HST to increase the reverse channel to 450 bps.

    Nice...Should speed things up a little bit

> While attending the Trenton Computer Festival I learned that almost
> 90% of the BBSs in the country that are using 9600 bps are using the
> HST...

    Thanks to their sysop support program!

Also, I would like to add that when I got my HST, A LOT of sceptics were
saying, "There's no standard, so don't buy one yet".... I bought it anyways
and it has paid itself off in phone bills over the past 6 months.  And due
the large share of the market that USR got with their sysop support program,
I can't see these modems dying out over night...

Later -Dan Vachon-    !ucbvax!inhp4!drutx!dvac

oliver@cup.portal.com (06/19/88)

>90% of the BBS are run on USR HST's.....
From my contact with the BBS community and Fido/Opus systems...it seems that
most of us are Telebit or 2400....
I probably will be corrected..but this has been my observation..

parkert@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (tom parker) (06/21/88)

In article <6653@cup.portal.com> oliver@cup.portal.com writes:
>>90% of the BBS are run on USR HST's.....
>From my contact with the BBS community and Fido/Opus systems...it seems that
>most of us are Telebit or 2400....
>I probably will be corrected..but this has been my observation..

  Most are 2400 or Telebit?  Throwing apples & oranges in one basket are we?
Well, my guess is that the majority of modems used in fidonet are 2400 baud.
Of the 9600 baud modems, I'd take a guess at 75% being HST, and 25% TB.  The
sad reality is that you get the brand that'll do you the most good.  I get most
of my echomail from an HST, therefore I will not be getting a Trailblazer no
matter how well it kicks the HST.:-(
   Tom Parker, Fidonet 152/202