[comp.dcom.modems] Dialers file help needed

cfj@well.UUCP (07/13/88)

A colleague is trying to use his modem, a Concord Data Systems CDS224
2400 baud,with SCO Xenix.  If anyone can  share a working
Dialers file entry for this modem it will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

--

    Charles Judson           ...!pacbell!nonvon!cfj

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (07/14/88)

In article <6515@well.UUCP> cfj@well.UUCP (Charles Judson) writes:

>A colleague is trying to use his modem, a Concord Data Systems CDS224
>2400 baud,with SCO Xenix.  If anyone can  share a working
>Dialers file entry for this modem it will be much appreciated.

It might be easier to take a cue from SCO and rewrite the dial program
for that modem.  That's what they did for the Telebit Trailblazer and
that's what I did to enable retries on BUSY or NO ANSWER.  It's a bit
brute force but you are guaranteed that the modem gets treated like it
expects to.  You also have the flexibility to open the port for dialing
any way you like (to take care of modem controls, etc.).

This even sounds worse than the first suggestion but you might want to
wait until next month when they ship the next release which will have
HoneyDanBer in it.  Personally, I'd pay the update fee for HDB alone,
much less the other things that will be in it (like a real init, etc.).

Sorry for two brute force suggestions but they might save some headaches
and they will each give you more predictably results.

REASON:  He needs to do something, perhaps nothing or something fundamental
         will help.
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att-cb | ihnp4!tness7 }!ssbn!bill