[comp.dcom.modems] CCC2400 Modem

jantypas@ucrmath.UUCP (John Antypas) (07/26/88)

Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems
Subject: CCC2400 modems
Expires:
>modem. It uses the T.I. chip set, provides auto baud, auto answer/orig
>(jumperable to suppress answer), COM1-4, all Hayes S- and X-registers,
>automatic adaptive line conditioning, etc, etc....
>
>The manufacturer (no distributors - drop-ship only) is:
>CompuCom Corp
>(408) 732-4500
>(800) ACT-ON-IT
>
>The modem is the CCC2400.
>
>They will take phone orders with plastic,
>or other arrangements.

Let me second this endorsement by another Usenetter!  I ordered mine and am
VERY happy with not only the modem but the company.  The modem was indeed $95
+s/h.  Because they were backordered they shipped it 2cd day air at the price
of ground.  The modem looks like a standard external modem with all serial
lines available.  COM1-4 etc.  2 Year Warrenty.   (There is talk about going to five years.)

I suppose for equal time I should have a complaint.  OK -- here goes.
The 800 number doesn't work for CA. so I had to call 408 myself.
The nerve of these people! :-)
--
John Antypas -- Soft21 --21st Century Software:
UUCP: {crash, garp, killer, pyramid, reed, ucsd!ucrmath}!soft21!jantypas

jantypas@ucrmath.UUCP (John Antypas) (08/02/88)

Well it arrived.  Let me again thank California Communications Corp. for the
help and support they provide.  The modem was ordered on July 22 and shipped
the 29th.  (They said it would be a week late.)  For this reason, they
shipped it via UPS Blue Label at no extra cost.  It arrived today as scheduled
for $99 + S/H.  As a former USR Courier 2400 owner here's how it stacks up:
(Courier 2400 is the NON-MNP Unit.)

				Couirer		CCC2400
Price				 ~$170-$200	$99	 (Both internal)
Warrenty			2 Years		2 Years
Hayes Comp.			Superset	Superset (Looks like Courier)
Software			*none		Boyan Shareware
Size				Full slot	Half Slot
Support				Poor and costly	EXCELLENT
(in my personal view.)

I have not tried the new Courier 2400E or the HST and I'm sure they're
wonderful units, but my Courier was overheating in this 100 degree weather
we've been having and I was tired of resetting the modem power every morning
after it failed all through the night.  I'd call USR (at my expense and be
told "$80 + S/H to look at it.  Parts extra."  I suppose for a $200 modem this
is reasonable, but when I saw the ad (thanks Usenet :-) for $99 CCC2400
I checked it out.

The CCC has the Courier command set with the exception that it allows up to
X4 as opposed to X6 even though the X4 is functionally equal to the Couriers
X6.  The manual is a first draft and needs help, but they admit this and I
will be sent the new manual when it is typeset.

The Boyan program might be called Superkermit.  It is a shareware terminal
program for the PC which looks pretty nice.  (Xmodem, Ymodem, Zmodem, Kermit,
ASCII file support)  I might even keep it and pay the $35.

I bought the modem for Unix (Uport 286 Sys V/AT 2.3.1) and was not presented
with any major problems using it.  None the less, there were some puzzles so
here is the Unix solution for it (286 Uport I'm afraid -- I don't have Xenix
to test it on.)

I had serial lines on COM1 and COM2 already.  The modem is selectable via
jumpers (very easy to change) for COM1-COM4.  I chose COM3 and tried to
use it after saying:

	ttypatch -t2 -i5 -a1000 -m12

(I had used the linkkit to move interupt vector 37 to the asy driver from
the the lp driver as I only had one printer anyway.  Now I could use 3 serial
ports.)

No go.  Calling 1-800-ACT-ON-IT connected with James Freeman who informed
me that the modem was hardwired (they're fixing this...) for:

	COM1,3	-- Int #4	COM2,4	-- Int #3.

Adjusting the serial cards to use other interupts and replacing the cards
fixed this problem.  The next trick was teaching UUCP to initialize the
modem properly.  My init string is:

	AT X4 Q0 V1 S11=40 &D2

[Set modem full capability, verbose, fast touch tone, DTR drop = reset]
It worked first time.

This is not an ad so much as a quick and dirty blurb about a rather unknown
modem.  I was not entirely comfortable at first with the idea of buying a
2400 baud modem mail order as I've seen other people's mistakes, but
I can say now that this was quite a good buy.

The statements in this blurb are my personal views and do not represent
the views of the University of California, Microport Unix Inc. or California
Communications Corp -- but I suspect that CCC isn't upset with them and that
the other two entities don't really care. -- and it really is NICE to have
a working modem again!