[comp.dcom.modems] Everex problem

fleming@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (07/26/88)

     I've found out too late that the Everex 2400 baud modem is garbage.  It
     comes with a speaker phone, but it doesn't work for data communications.
     The CD light comes on at power up, and as soon as a connection is made,
     the message PHONE OFF-HOOK appears on the screen.  The modem then dis-
     connects the session.  'Tis quite frustrating.

     Does this sound like something I am doing wrong?  I'm using ProComm
     and there are tons of soft switches I could have set wrong.

     Why o why does our computer store only carry Everex???  :-(

     declan

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (07/27/88)

In article <11100001@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> fleming@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>     I've found out too late that the Everex 2400 baud modem is garbage.  It

I think this is a little extreme.  Have you *read* the instruction manual
carefully?  It's pretty thorough.  Have you checked your cables and software
with another modem?

>     The CD light comes on at power up, and as soon as a connection is made,
>     the message PHONE OFF-HOOK appears on the screen.  The modem then dis-
>     connects the session.

Look in your manual - one of the DIP switches FORCES CD high - it is obviously
set on if your CD light glows at power-up.  Some computers require this since
they don't handle CD properly.

There's also another switch which will force DTR (data terminal ready) high.
Again, if your computer doesn't handle DTR properly, you may have to "fool"
the modem into thinking it was asserted.

>     Does this sound like something I am doing wrong?

Yes.

>     there are tons of soft switches I could have set wrong.

Of course, most functions can be controlled by software, but
I'd check my *hardware* switches first.  It's possible that your cable or
port settings aren't letting your computer know that the connection was
established.  Check your setup with another Hayes-compatible
modem if possible to verify that the problem really is in the Everex.
Of course, you may be having line noise problems also.

I have an Everex EMAC MD2400+ external modem.  Just got it recently and
haven't used it very much yet, but it appears to be very Hayes compatible.
The complaints I've heard have been about specific features, and not general
"it's junk and doesn't work at all".  I have gotten pretty good results so
far, especially with MNP enabled.  I've never experienced the problem you
describe...

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::  Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director   :: System Operator, "The CallBoard"
:: Department of Theatre, SUNY Oswego  :: - Serving the performing arts -
:: Internet: ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU :: (315) 947-6414, 300/1200 baud, 8N1
::        Voice: (315) 341-2138        :: UUCP ...sunybcs!oswego!cboard!ostroff
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

tadguy@amon-re.cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (07/27/88)

In article <11100001@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> fleming@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>     I've found out too late that the Everex 2400 baud modem is garbage.

From your message you didn't state if your opinion comes from the use
of one modem, or if you have tried several and they all perform as you
describe.

We have been using Everex Evercom 2400s here for 7 months and haven't
had any problems with them.  None at all.

This blows away our Prometheus 2400Gs which tend to get locked up
after a power flux (some of our old Hayes modems have this problem as
well), plus all our Evercoms worked when they arrived (the Prometheus
2400Gs had a 50% DOA).

Overall I am very pleased with these modems and would buy them again.

	...tad

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (07/27/88)

> Look in your manual - one of the DIP switches FORCES CD high - it is
> obviously set on if your CD light glows at power-up.  Some computers
> require this since they don't handle CD properly.

Nope, some computers need this on Hayes style dial outs because they
DO handle CD properly.  The idea that you would want to talk to a non
connected modem through the data connection is entirely foriegn to
RS-232.

-Ron

michaele@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Michael Enkelis) (07/29/88)

The everex is good for most things, BUT NOT FOR UNIX DIALIN use!!

I have one, and if someone call at any speed other than 2400 baud
the modem will "lock" at 1200/300 baud and forget 2400 baud compleatly.

When I called support they said "oh yea, well we fixed that in the
MNP version, want to buy that now???".  I said forget it!!  At this
time i hardwired DTR inside the modem to the RESET pin of the 8031
control computer, and at least i can get 2400 baud back on hangup
but not without UNIX complaining about not being able to flush the
tty buffers (UNIX wait 2 second's after DTR activate, but the modem
takes 3 seconds to self-test after DTR is released.  I plan on adding
a one-shot to the reset from DTR signal)  Now if the would fix the
program in EPROM, that would be great, i would spend the $50 or so
they might charge for the new chip, but untill then FORGET useing
the everex for a answer modem.

--
 _ _ _                          __
' ) ) )      /          /)     /  `       /      /)	Michael Enkelis

rob@rtmvax.UUCP (Robert Talley) (07/30/88)

In article <5955@xanth.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>In article <11100001@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> fleming@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>     I've found out too late that the Everex 2400 baud modem is garbage.
>
>From your message you didn't state if your opinion comes from the use
>of one modem, or if you have tried several and they all perform as you
>describe.
>
>We have been using Everex Evercom 2400s here for 7 months and haven't
>had any problems with them.  None at all.

Well Tad, you don't state whether you are using the newer (MNP) Everex or
the old one. We ran two of these (the sans MNP versions) and had to sell
both of them for scrap. They just would not reset back to answer at 2400
once anyone called in at something lower.

Also, we were not enthralled with the tech support. The attitude then was
"Yeah, we know it does that, just turn it off then back on. No, we don't
have a fix for it, but we will be selling a new modem with MNP that does not
do this. Want to buy one? Exhange? nope sorry, no exhanges."

As far as I am concerned, this modem manufacturer just lost out. We wound up
replacing the modems and selling them them to sites that do dialout only.
From that aspect, yes, the Everex is well suited.

Rob
--
Robert Talley: RTmVax Semi-Public UNIX/USENET System Orlando, Florida
UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!rob

ronc@cerebus.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (08/01/88)

In article <1818@rtmvax.UUCP> rob@rtmvax.UUCP (Robert Talley) writes:
>Well Tad, you don't state whether you are using the newer (MNP) Everex or
>the old one. We ran two of these (the sans MNP versions) and had to sell
>both of them for scrap. They just would not reset back to answer at 2400
>once anyone called in at something lower.

We bought *six* of 'em!

As I pointed out earlier, this is not the only problem with the
pre-MNP Everex modems.  We just barely caught this problem in time
to stop a quantity buy.  When I related to management the problem(s)
with the Everex modems we had, and the solution, (don't buy any made
before Feb 28) it was decided to jettison the product in favor of the
USR Sportster.  Management decided that checking datecodes on incoming
modems was more than we as customers should reasonably be expected
to put up with.  The Sportster is $40 cheaper and doesn't exhibit the
problems of the Everex.

And so it goes.

				Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!cerebus!ronc

      Calling all Fujitsu Usenet sites!  Contact cerebus!ronc or
      ronc@fai.com to establish uucp connection.

goosh@cisunx.UUCP (Walter Perz) (08/02/88)

In article <875@cerebus.UUCP> ronc@cerebus.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:

>to put up with.  The Sportster is $40 cheaper and doesn't exhibit the
>problems of the Everex.
>
>And so it goes.
>
>				Ron

Ron....

What are the list prices of those, and what level of MNP do they have?

Ive heard a lot of good things about the USR modem, and would appreciate
learning more about them..

Thanks
Walter Perz
Walter G. Perz                       goosh@cisunx.UUCP
University of Pittsburgh             goosh@pittvms.BITNET
"Let me get my baseball bat to show you how much I appreciate you !"-Watterson

tadguy@amon-re.cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (08/03/88)

In article <1818@rtmvax.UUCP> rob@rtmvax.UUCP (Robert Talley) writes:
>In article <5955@xanth.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>>We have been using Everex Evercom 2400s here for 7 months and haven't
>>had any problems with them.  None at all.
>
>Well Tad, you don't state whether you are using the newer (MNP) Everex or
>the old one. We ran two of these (the sans MNP versions) and had to sell
>both of them for scrap. They just would not reset back to answer at 2400
>once anyone called in at something lower.

I did notice that they didn't revert to 2400 bps after a 1200 or 300
connection, but I figured it was normal: our Prometheus 2400Gs do the
same thing.  I had long since added in a hack to getty to reset the
modem before waiting for carrier, so I didn't think much of it.

I guess I'll have to replace the "None at all" with "At least none
that our other 2400 bps modems didn't have."

	...tad

--
Tad Guy		<tadguy@cs.odu.edu>	Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA