[comp.dcom.modems] Direct modem line from USA to Franc

richards@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (08/03/88)

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:

> I think most modems nowadays are software-based (i.e. a CPU + an EPROM).
> Certainly the USRobotics HST and "desktalk ][" (actually an Incomm) are.
> Considering that Z80's sell for something like 40 cents in quantity, and
> EPROMs for a buck or so, it's probably a lot cheaper than hardwiring things,
> anyway.

While this is true, isn't the distinguishing feature of the Trailblazer
the presence of the digital signal processor?  That way, *via software*,
the modulation scheme can be altered.  You want QAM, you set up the DSP for
QAM (with software support I 'spose, I never have looked at what it takes to
control a DSP).  Same for PEP, phase-shift keying, or simply dual-tone
modulation methods.  (and whatever is used with V.32bis?) I don't know
if the modems mentioned are that versatile with their analog components.

-Paul