[comp.dcom.modems] ZOOM 2400 Baud Modem Mail Offer

jcl@uw-apl.UUCP (Jim Luby) (08/05/88)

I received a mail offer on August 3, 1988 from a company called
ZOOM in Boston for a 2400 baud, Hayes-compatible modem with accompanying
communication software for $169.  Has anyone out there used this modem
and if so are you satisfied?  Thanks for any help in this regard.
                                 Jim Luby
                                 Applied Physics Lab
                                 University of Washington

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (08/05/88)

Zoom has a good reputation around here...  i don't know about their
2400 baud modems, but i assume they are fine too.  a 2400 baud modem
just isn't that hard a product to make !  $169 is a decent price for
an external 2400 modem, as well.

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (08/05/88)

In article <201@uw-apl.UUCP> jcl@uw-apl.UUCP (Jim Luby) writes:

>I received a mail offer on August 3, 1988 from a company called
>ZOOM in Boston for a 2400 baud, Hayes-compatible modem with accompanying
>communication software for $169.  Has anyone out there used this modem
>and if so are you satisfied?  Thanks for any help in this regard.
>                                 Jim Luby

They do that from time to time, I don't know why they don't advertise
like everyone else and when I asked them they didn't know either.  These
are good modems.  I have four of them.

You may expect to see some anomalies if you use them with UNIX but
that doesn't affect you unless you have a "teapot" UNIX site.  If that
is the case, email me and we'll discuss it.  It's the best internal
DOS modem I've ever tried.  Everyone to whom I have recommended them
is still talking to me :-)  even the one fellow who needed his warranty.

You might want to pitch the software (once you set the clock) but the
modem is itchy-ban A nomba one.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,rutgers,sun!daver,uunet!bigtex}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

mrchards@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (08/06/88)

I am currently using just such a modem, obtained for the $169 price.
It seems to work well.  My only modem-related problem is that I can't seem
to upload at 2400 baud.  I can download at 2400 baud and upload at 1200
baud with no problem.  I assume that this is a modem problem, but do not know
for sure.

bdale@hpcsla.HP.COM (Bdale Garbee) (08/06/88)

I have one on my Unix system.  Got it from Midwest Micro Peripherals a couple
of weeks ago for a few bucks less than the price you mentioned.

It works fine, except that the default is to not reset on DTR drop, which
meant that I ended up modifying my 4.3bsd getty to reset the modem and then
send the command to enable reset on DTR loss... they have a jumper that turns
the autoanswer-on default on and off, tis a shame they weren't smart enough
to toggle the DTR mode based on that switch...

There are no other jumpers or switches.

For the price, go for it.  If you won't/can't twiddle your software, and need
a good autoanswer for a unix system, go with something more like a Courier,
IE: with lots of config switches...

Bdale

dave@psbbs.UUCP (Dave Binette) (08/12/88)

The ZOOM 2400 Baud modems are Decent modems.
At least 3 models of the 2400 exist.
A half card PC internal which supports COM1-4
An external model which is wall mountable.
And a full size internal version that has far too many options to
describe here.
Some of the nice features of the big-board model are automatic DTMF
tone recognition, a built in bbs, voice recording and playback
Real-time clock built in.

Ive used the half-card version on my DOS BBS with excellent results.
Approx 34% of my callers use 2400 Baud.

I recently tried it on the XENIX box and it worked well for dial-out.
Dial in worked ok too when I used the non-modem tty.
(no auto logoff an disconnect).
Almost certainly I didn't have it configured properly because when I
used the modem port  (TTY1A rather than TTY1a), the modem would connect
OK but the system would send a message to the console saying...
"garbage or loose cable on port9, shutting port down" or similar
Then XENIX would disconnect me.

Anybody know why this happens?

Oh other nice things about ZOOM modems is that they use the
Fast UART chip (not the flakey 8250A which misses interrupts)
They all have adaptive equalization.