[comp.dcom.modems] Direct modem line from USA to France?

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (07/24/88)

I would like to hear of any experiences anyone may have had with direct dial
modem connections between the USA and France.  The company I work for has a
prospective customer in France, and if we do the installation it will require
a reliable modem connection -- the expense of sending someone over there if
things go wrong is just too much.  All of our systems go out the door with
modems, and we insist on a dedicated line.  The modems we are spec'ing are
Multitech 2400 internal modems.  I'm not sure just which MNP level they
support, but I believe it's Class 5.  (If it's only Class 4 I'm sure an
upgrade ROM to Class 5 is available.)  I've never played with setting up these
modems for MNP mode, but I'd assume it would help a lot.  How dirty are the
lines to France?  I would think with the ability to go MNP we shouldn't have
too much trouble.  The most frequent use of the modem will be for interactive
terminal sessions, but we'd be doing some file transfer too.

I'd appreciate hearing about any war stories.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (07/24/88)

In article <297@amanue.UUCP>, jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:

> ...The modems we are spec'ing are
> Multitech 2400 internal modems...

Check with Multitech or with the PTT in France.  You may find that
it is not legal to connect these devices to the public switched
network there.  My literature from Multitech mentions only FCC part
15 and part 68.  It doesn't mention any type-acceptance data for any
other country.

I have been involved recently in the development of a computer
peripheral that plugs into an XT-buss slot like an internal modem,
and connects to a telephone line through a standard modular jack.
The device was tested and accepted as complying with FCC part 15
(radio-frequency emissions) and part 68 (network interconnection)
and can therefore be sold in the U.S.A.  It is not legal for use in
Canada, however.  It fails to meed the equivalent Canadian
requirements.  We have not tried any other countries, but it's an
issue you ought to consider.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney

David@cup.portal.com (07/25/88)

I'd recommend against using a V.22bis modem for international calls.  The main
reasons are that it isn't very fast (comparatively speaking) and is very
susceptible to line noise.  Look at V.32 modems instead.  Although they are
about 10x in price, they give you 4x the speed to reduce the cost of the
calls, as well as being less susceptible to noise.  So, you spend more up
front, but you get it back many-fold over the course of time.

David@cup.portal.com

peter@athena.mit.edu (Peter J Desnoyers) (07/27/88)

You might want to invest in a pair of good V.32 modems - any decent
manufacturer should have them approved by European PTT's, and they are
very resistant to errors. (The modulation scheme uses forward error
correction) The problem is the price - $1500 to $4000. Real 9600bps is
a plus, although I wouldn't pay for it out of my own pocket.

In my biased opinion (I co-oped at Codex) the Codex V.32 is probably
the best, but perhaps not worth the money. I'm sure it's approved in
France. The UDS box performs almost as well, and was going for $1500 a
while ago. I don't know if it is approved in France.

				Peter Desnoyers

In article <7651@cup.portal.com> David@cup.portal.com writes:
>I'd recommend against using a V.22bis modem for international calls...
>... it isn't very fast ... and is very susceptible to line noise.  Look at
>V.32 modems instead.  ...10x in price... 4x the speed... less susceptible
>to noise...

Or Telebit Trailblazers, which are virtually immune to noise -- the only
effect is that the throughput drops off -- and are likewise fast.  The
UUNET folks say that Trailblazers will run 6kbaud on phone lines that are
virtually unusable for voice.  Their one wart is that they can be a bit
jerky for interactive work, although with the current firmware (4.00)
this is occasionally annoying rather than seriously troubling.

(Note that on the Trailblazer, unlike some of the V.nn modems, the drop
in throughput with poorer lines is gradual rather than going in huge jumps.)
--
MSDOS is not dead, it just     |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
smells that way.               | uunet!mnetor!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

fs-info@sbsvax.UUCP (Fachschaft Mathe/Info) (07/29/88)

In article <1988Jul27.195804.20970@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Or Telebit Trailblazers, which are virtually immune to noise -- the only
> effect is that the throughput drops off -- and are likewise fast.

At the CeBIT computer fair in Hannover I saw a connection from Germany to
Canada with Trailblazers. They achieved more than 17,000 bits/sec.

In Germany this is illegal. The maximum legal speed is 2,400 bits/sec, but only
with ZZF-approved modems ( the ZZF is our "FCC" ; a ZZF 2.4Kbd modem costs
about 2000 DM ). Most people here use unapproved(=illegal) modems. I think in
France its similiar.

                        ___                       UUCP : fs-info@sbsvax.uucp
  /\/>        /        /                     /    Phone: ++49-6805-8299
 /  / __  __`< o __   /-  __  __  _  __ o _ /_    Snail:        Hangweg 9
/  /_(_/_/(_/_(_/ (  <___//(_//(_(/_/(_(_(_/ (           D-6601 Buebingen
Z-Net : M.Emmerich@ums.zer                        Fido : 2:507/115

David@cup.portal.com (07/30/88)

henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) wrote:

>In article <7651@cup.portal.com> David@cup.portal.com writes:
>>I'd recommend against using a V.22bis modem for international calls...
>>... it isn't very fast ... and is very susceptible to line noise.  Look at
>>V.32 modems instead.  ...10x in price... 4x the speed... less susceptible
>>to noise...
>
>Or Telebit Trailblazers, which are virtually immune to noise -- the only
>effect is that the throughput drops off -- and are likewise fast.  The
>UUNET folks say that Trailblazers will run 6kbaud on phone lines that are
>virtually unusable for voice.

No doubt about it, the Trailblazer is a nice modem.

Having said that, I will now go on to say that it would take threats of
a rather personal nature to get me to buy one.  Why?  Because the
Trailblazer is quite definitely a non-standard product which only talks to
other Trailblazers (excepting at 1200bps or whatever).  When and if there
are a dozen vendors making modems that work with the Trailblazer at high
speed, then I'll buy it.

In my opinion, the only good reason to buy a non-standard product is if
you are able to toss it in the trash in a few years.  Because usually by
then it isn't supported by anyone, including the original vendor.

I know that there are a lot of trailblazers used to connect the USENET
sites, and that's fine for them, just not fine for me, because I hate
tossing stuff in the trash in a year or two.

David@cup.portal.com
David McCord
415/424-5644

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (07/31/88)

In article <7752@cup.portal.com> David@cup.portal.com writes:
> In my opinion, the only good reason to buy a non-standard product is if
> you are able to toss it in the trash in a few years.

	The original request was for info on unsupported modems to be used
for a specific trans-Atlantic point-to-point dial-up link.  Given the cost
of trans-Atlantic phone calls, the savings you realize by even slightly
better modems make it economical to buy the best you can now and toss them
in a year or two if the winds of change make them no longer the best choice.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (07/31/88)

In article <7752@cup.portal.com>, David@cup.portal.com wrote:
> [..] Because the
> Trailblazer is quite definitely a non-standard product which only talks to
> other Trailblazers (excepting at 1200bps or whatever).  When and if there
> are a dozen vendors making modems that work with the Trailblazer at high
> speed, then I'll buy it.

Ventel makes a PEP modem, and I understand there are others with PEP
products already on the market.

> I know that there are a lot of trailblazers used to connect the USENET
> sites, and that's fine for them, just not fine for me, because I hate
> tossing stuff in the trash in a year or two.

Standards are interesting things.  I have never had anyone ask for a
link with bigtex that couldn't talk to my TB+ at their fastest
supported data rate (one site with a Hayes 2400 has some difficulty
with PEP-tones-first).  I have never asked anyone for a link and found
that I couldn't talk to them at their highest supported data rate.

There may be V.32, Hayes V9600 and US Robotics HST modems out there,
but I haven't seen any sign of them around here.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!utastro!bigtex!james   "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) (08/01/88)

In article <7752@cup.portal.com> David@cup.portal.com writes:
>I know that there are a lot of trailblazers used to connect the USENET
>sites, and that's fine for them, just not fine for me, because I hate
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>tossing stuff in the trash in a year or two.

This is going to sound critical, but that's OLD AGE THINKING!  You're
swimmin' up stream, baby, and stifling the economy, too!

So maybe you can do without 19.2Kbps for a couple of years.  That's
fine, just wait, then.  But it's not the people that fight for a
place at the back of the line that make innovation happen!

The trend is unarguably towards shorter product lifespans; look at
your car for example!  To me the key thing to look at here is why
we think of this as "bad".  I, for one, spend a fair amount of time
consciously trying to force myself out of this mindset.  Something
to consider, anyway.

>David@cup.portal.com
>David McCord
>415/424-5644

- Jay (with an attitude) Bowden

rnv@motsj1.UUCP (Ron Voss) (08/02/88)

In article <576@sbsvax.UUCP>, fs-info@sbsvax.UUCP (Fachschaft Mathe/Info)
writes:
> At the CeBIT computer fair in Hannover I saw a connection from Germany to
> Canada with Trailblazers. They achieved more than 17,000 bits/sec.
>
> In Germany this is illegal. The maximum legal speed is 2,400 bits/sec, but
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> only
> with ZZF-approved modems ( the ZZF is our "FCC" ; a ZZF 2.4Kbd modem costs
> about 2000 DM ). Most people here use unapproved(=illegal) modems. I think in
> France its similiar.

In Germany everything is illegal which is not explicitly allowed.

Martin and all others involved in telecommunications in Germany should keep
constant pressure on Blackpenny to abolish these stifling laws.
There seems to be some progress:  The Deutsche Bundespost
indicates it will allow competition and will be more open-minded
about advances in technology.  It
must if Germany is to compete in international
telecommunications.
--
Ron Voss   Senior Systems Engineer
Motorola Microcomputer Division

david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (08/02/88)

> In article <7752@cup.portal.com>, David@cup.portal.com wrote:
> [..] Because the
> Trailblazer is quite definitely a non-standard product which only talks to
> other Trailblazers (excepting at 1200bps or whatever).  When and if there
> are a dozen vendors making modems that work with the Trailblazer at high
> speed, then I'll buy it.

One reason we bought a Telebit is that it is software-based.  When and
if the V.32 standard comes out, Telebit will simply sell upgrade ROMs at
a reasonable price.  If you have a hardware-based modem, you would have
to throw it out at that point.

The Telebit is also a de facto standard in the UNIX market at this point.
If you're a PC user and want the cheapest possible high-speed modem, maybe
something else makes sense -- but not if you're talking about UNIX.

Why buy anything? Just wait 5 years for ISDN. Then all you have to do is
get enough money to pay for the monthly connect charges...
--
David Fiedler {ames,attmail,hoptoad,pyramid,spl1,ucdavis}!infopro!david
USMail: InfoPro Systems, PO Box 220, Rescue CA 95672 Phone: 916/677-5870

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (08/02/88)

In article <7752@cup.portal.com> David@cup.portal.com writes:
>henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) wrote:

[Suggestion that V.22 modems are "too slow", to use V.32 modems
 instead, with a followup from Henry suggesting Trailblazers ...]

>No doubt about it, the Trailblazer is a nice modem.
>
>Having said that, I will now go on to say that it would take threats of
>a rather personal nature to get me to buy one.  Why?  Because the
>Trailblazer is quite definitely a non-standard product which only talks to
>other Trailblazers (excepting at 1200bps or whatever).  When and if there
>are a dozen vendors making modems that work with the Trailblazer at high
>speed, then I'll buy it.

Telebit is working on this.  There is at least one other manufacturer
which is building PEP modems (Ventel) and at least two manufacturers
have been liscensed for PEP (I forget who the other manufacturer was).
Also the standards organization is considering adopting PEP as an
option to the V.32 standard.  So, there will be some competition
in the PEP field, and it will likely be accepted as a standard.

In addition, look for Trailblazers to aquire V.32 capabilities, among
other things.  Someone at Telebit recently put out a survey asking us
for features we'd like to have.  This included V.32, FAX, SLIP, etc.
V.32 came out very highly recommended ...

Last fall when we ordered our Trailablazers for here I had no compunctions
about it.  There were reservations, but only to the extent that the
product and/or company might not "survive" long enough to get to a
point where they can add in V.32 & etc.  Not that they would never
add in V.32 & etc.  I have also gone on and ordered one for myself
(I got *real* spoiled when I tested the modems from home).

>In my opinion, the only good reason to buy a non-standard product is if
>you are able to toss it in the trash in a few years.  Because usually by
>then it isn't supported by anyone, including the original vendor.

Good policy.  I own a Sanyo Beta HI-FI VCR.  I know from experience
what it is like to own unsupported stuff.  Trailblazers aren't likely
to fall into that category however.

--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

In article <1815@loral.UUCP> jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) writes:
>In article <7752@cup.portal.com> David@cup.portal.com writes:
>>I know that there are a lot of trailblazers used to connect the USENET
>>sites, and that's fine for them, just not fine for me, because I hate
>                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>tossing stuff in the trash in a year or two.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>This is going to sound critical, but that's OLD AGE THINKING!  You're
>swimmin' up stream, baby, and stifling the economy, too!
>The trend is unarguably towards shorter product lifespans; look at
>your car for example!  To me the key thing to look at here is why
>we think of this as "bad".  I, for one, spend a fair amount of time
>consciously trying to force myself out of this mindset.  Something
>to consider, anyway.

weee-eeell..

This is really straying from the beaten subject ... but I really hate
this trend towards throwaway products.

I really like being able to buy something and use it for 10 years or longer.

Especially with something which so intensively uses raw materials like
iron & copper, as a car does.  To take some raw materials and cast them
into some form takes time, energy and effort.  Time is fairly cheap
(depending on who is spending the time) but energy and effort is not
cheap.  (especially energy ... we need to be figuring out how to preserve
energy rather than throwing it away).

I equate throwing things away with throwing away the stuff which went into
making the things.

I spend a fair amount of time consciously trying to force myself out
of the throwaway mindset.  Something to consider, anyway.
--

rodd@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Dorman) (08/02/88)

>In Germany this is illegal. The maximum legal speed is 2,400 bits/sec ...

So what happens if you exceed 2400bps?
Does a cop on a megacycle pull you over?

					-- Rod --

Rod Dorman				{sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!rodd
Big Electric Cat Public Unix
	"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't"

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (08/02/88)

In article <55@infopro.UUCP>, david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) writes:
}One reason we bought a Telebit is that it is software-based.  When and
}if the V.32 standard comes out, Telebit will simply sell upgrade ROMs at
}a reasonable price.  If you have a hardware-based modem, you would have
}to throw it out at that point.

I think most modems nowadays are software-based (i.e. a CPU + an EPROM).
Certainly the USRobotics HST and "desktalk ][" (actually an Incomm) are.
Considering that Z80's sell for something like 40 cents in quantity, and
EPROMs for a buck or so, it's probably a lot cheaper than hardwiring things,
anyway.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) (08/03/88)

According to fs-info@sbsvax.UUCP (Fachschaft Mathe/Info):
>In Germany this is illegal. The maximum legal speed is 2,400 bits/sec...

Oh, that's rich.  There's no speed limit on the Autobahn, where people are
killed every week; but you can't move your data faster than 2,400 bps.

Lovely.

--
Chip Salzenberg                <chip@ateng.uu.net> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering                My employer may or may not agree with me.

domo@riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) (08/03/88)

In article <6435@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> peter@athena.mit.edu
	(Peter J Desnoyers) writes:
>You might want to invest in a pair of good V.32 modems - any decent
>manufacturer should have them approved by European PTT's, and they are
>very resistant to errors. (The modulation scheme uses forward error
>correction) The problem is the price - $1500 to $4000. Real 9600bps is
>a plus, although I wouldn't pay for it out of my own pocket.

Byte, June 1988, carries a comprehensive review of thirteen high-speed
modems which can operate over the public telephone network.  And, yes, the
true V.32 products (as opposed to cut-down V.32, the older V.29, or
proprietary) came out with the highest throughput in a random data test.
Of the two full V.32 models tested, Telenetics 9600E/V.32 averaged 8995
bps on a clean connection, but failed completely on a simulated marginal
connection; the Concord 296 Trellis did 8842 bps on a clean line, falling
to 8237 on the bad line.  By comparison, the much-discussed Telebit
Trailblazer Plus did 5568 and 5078 bps respectively in each test.  The
joker in the pack was the Telcor Accelerator 2496MA which, by using very
smart proprietary compression on top of old V.22 bis 2400 baud technology,
achieved 8256 and 8362 bps.

Yes, V.32 costs more: $1795 (or $1995 with data compression) for the
Concord; $2295 for Telenetics.  Neither of these modems supports any other
protocol, so you can't call them up with your accoustic coupler.
The Trailblazer lists at $1345, the Telcor at an amazing $895.  Both these
modems support all the common lower-speed protocols (if you're American,
that is).  You can get Trailblazers here in England from a company called
Dowty.  I don't know of an outlet for Telcor.  Nor do I know about the
situation in France.

>In my biased opinion (I co-oped at Codex) the Codex V.32 is probably
>the best...
Byte didn't test the Codex.  But it's a good article, anyway
--
Dominic Dunlop
domo@sphinx.co.uk  domo@riddle.uucp

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (08/03/88)

In article <55@infopro.UUCP>, david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) writes:
}One reason we bought a Telebit is that it is software-based.  When and
}if the V.32 standard comes out, Telebit will simply sell upgrade ROMs at
}a reasonable price.  If you have a hardware-based modem, you would have
}to throw it out at that point.

I'm not that familar with modem technology , but wouldn't it be difficult
to simulate the echo canceling circuitry that V.32 requires in software?
--
Joel Upchurch/Concurrent Computer Corp/2486 Sand Lake Rd/Orlando, Fl 32809
joel@peora.ccur.com {cbosgd!codas,uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!joel (4078501040)

tron@mrecvax.UUCP (Carlos Mendioroz) (08/04/88)

This is just about telebit TrailBlazers Plus. We have a couple of them here
that we use to contact uunet and pyramid for mail and news.

The troughoutput is about 5kbps in the mean, with peeks at 8kbps but I
wouldn't say they are inmune to noise or line conditions.

We use uucp, g-protocol and no flow-control. In this configuration, they do
the great job transmiting batched compressed news and are a little lazy
when sending mail as uucp sends lots of litle files (control and data).
May bsmtb help.

Now for the odds. When we call early in the morning (say 3-5 am) they work
fine but if we try to call during the day, we seldom get a nice result.
Moreover, uucp almost everytime fails at startup (while establishing the
g-protocol) or as the first file is being transmited. This all aplies to
calls to uunet as the calls to pyramid seems to work all over the day.

Carlos G. Mendioroz
That plain.

garrett@udel.EDU (Joel Garrett) (08/05/88)

In article <791@riddle.UUCP> domo@riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
[Discussion of "extensive" BYTE modem benchmarks deleted]
>By comparison, the much-discussed Telebit
>Trailblazer Plus did 5568 and 5078 bps respectively in each test.

I think it was discussed here not long after that issue of BYTE came out
that they were not very "real world", but then again, few benchmarks are.
I think the biggest source of incorrect results for the TB+ in these
tests were a result of 1) not fixing the interface speed at 19.2K bps
2) sending "random" data and thus not letting the modem's data compression
stuff to work, and 3) Their definition of line noise for the test was evidently
wide frequency spectrum noise, which would obviously blow away the PEP
method of line compensation.  The other thing that made me suspicious of
the test was the different results obtained from the Ventel modem which was
essentially the same modem in a different box.  I know, same thing as always,
no benchmark is totally accurate, special accomodations must be made sometimes,
but most of the modems that they tested came with instructions to crank up
the interface speed, etc for best performance, but I think they held the
speed back because one or two of the units tested couldn't do it.  Why not
just make these exceptions a separate test and let the ones that can be in
a different group,  as they obviously are?

>--
>Dominic Dunlop
>domo@sphinx.co.uk  domo@riddle.uucp

Joel Garrett
garrett@udel.edu

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (08/05/88)

In article <7752@cup.portal.com>, David@cup.portal.com writes:
> No doubt about it, the Trailblazer is a nice modem.
>
> Having said that, I will now go on to say that it would take threats of
> a rather personal nature to get me to buy one.  Why?  Because the
> Trailblazer is quite definitely a non-standard product which only talks to
> other Trailblazers (excepting at 1200bps or whatever).  When and if there
> are a dozen vendors making modems that work with the Trailblazer at high
> speed, then I'll buy it.
>
> In my opinion, the only good reason to buy a non-standard product is if
> you are able to toss it in the trash in a few years.  Because usually by
> then it isn't supported by anyone, including the original vendor.
>
> I know that there are a lot of trailblazers used to connect the USENET
> sites, and that's fine for them, just not fine for me, because I hate
> tossing stuff in the trash in a year or two.

Hmm... Seems to me that paying for itself in less than a year is a
good enough reason to buy, so what if it's useless in
18 months, It's already more than paid for itself in saved long
distance probably two or three times over.

I worked it out, It's true if you move more than 20 Megs of data per
month at full price for the modems, not counting the deals that
Telebit is offering right now, based on LD calls not exceeding $.40
per minute the thing pays for itself in a year.

What do you propose as an alternative?

In this arena there simply are no standards yet (V.32, no
matter what it looks like to your computer, is half duplex between
modems). Will you wait until CCITT passes a standard for high speed full
duplex modems? telebit has entered PEP into that sweepstakes and boy
will you look the goat if they come out on top (you'll also get your
wish because then Telebit would have to licence PEP or even give it
away)

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utgpu!ontmoh!------------\              VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) (08/05/88)

Regarding all of this talk about the Telebit Trailblazer Plus supporting
V.32: I was told by a Telebit saleman that the "current hardware
platform" cannot support, and consequently will never support V.32.  If
this information is untrue, I am certain that someone from Telebit will
correct me, but until then, I shall assume that it is the case.
--
Paul Homchick              UUCP:  {allegra | rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.; One Radnor Station, Suite 300; Radnor, PA 19087

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (08/05/88)

In article <648@ontenv.UUCP> soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
}In this arena there simply are no standards yet (V.32, no
}matter what it looks like to your computer, is half duplex between
}modems).

No, V.29 is half duplex.  V.32 is full duplex, 9600 bps each way.  Which is
why it requires such intricate echo-cancellation circuitry that the cheapest
V.32 modems are >$1500, and most are $3000.  The cheap 9600 bps modems such
as the USRobotics HST all use V.29 with proprietary extensions for quick
turnaround or a low-speed reverse channel.

--
{harvard,uunet,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- AT&T: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |"Tolerance means excusing the mistakes others make.

In article <3630@peora.ccur.com> joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) writes:
>I'm not that familar with modem technology , but wouldn't it be difficult
>to simulate the echo canceling circuitry that V.32 requires in software?

Telebit's signal processors can do it in principle -- anything you can do
in hardware can be done with digital signal processing software, in
principle -- but as I recall, the Telebit folks doubt that the existing
TB+ hardware has quite enough crunch to do it.  A new model may be needed.
--
MSDOS is not dead, it just     |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
smells that way.               | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (08/06/88)

In article <339@ateng.UUCP>, chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> According to fs-info@sbsvax.UUCP (Fachschaft Mathe/Info):
> >In Germany this is illegal. The maximum legal speed is 2,400 bits/sec...
>
> Oh, that's rich.  There's no speed limit on the Autobahn, where people are
> killed every week; but you can't move your data faster than 2,400 bps.
>
> Lovely.

There is no "speed limit" as such. It's just illegal to use any modem
not supplied by the Post Office and all they offer is 2400 Baud, hence
a de facto speed limit. I know of one company that gets around this.
Something about how the phone system can only detect a modem
call when it originates, so there computers in Germany all get polled
and don't call out, no way to get around the law between two points
within Germany though.

I'd rather take my chances on the Autobahn than on just about any
North American highway.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utgpu!ontmoh!------------\              VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623
	{attcan,utzoo}!lsuc!ncrcan!ontenv!norm
             "witty saying not available due to writers strike"

dave@psbbs.UUCP (Dave Binette) (08/11/88)

Yesterday I had a chat with a fellow from W. Germany, who runs a FIDO node.
He told me the max baud rate on BTX is 1200 baud.
Apparantley the Gov. supplies the modems.

msurlich@immd1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Matthias Urlichs - scheme) (08/28/88)

In article <78@psbbs.UUCP> dave@.UUCP (Dave Binette) writes:
>Yesterday I had a chat with a fellow from W. Germany, who runs a FIDO node.
>He told me the max baud rate on BTX is 1200 baud.
>Apparantley the Gov. supplies the modems.

Well, in some bigger cities there is a 2400 baud entry.
Of course you either have to buy an insanely expensive 2400 baud modem
(>$600, non-hayes-compatible, no 300 baud) or carry your modem over and
ignore the legal problems (hoping that they ignore you, too).

The "normal" BTX entry is 1200 baud in and 75 baud out (at your place).

What stumps me is whatever you want to do with BTX? There already are quite a
few commercial mailbox systems here. However, for these the max speed
still is 1200 baud (both ways).

--
Matthias Urlichs     CompuServe: 72437,1357  Delphi: URLICHS
Rainwiesenweg 9      Phone: +49+911-574180