[comp.dcom.modems] comp.dcom.modems.telebit

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (08/23/88)

It seems reasonable to start a notesfile devoted to an insanely
popular product.  I would classify the telebit modem as an insanely
popular 9600 baud modem.

Notesfiles devoted to the macintosh have already expanded into 7
separate groups (main/programmer/sources/binaries/hypercard/aux/digest)
Therefore, it is probably reasonable create one group for telebit modems.

On the other hand, I believe notesfiles should spawn when the traffic
becomes unbearably heavy and IRRELEVENT to many readers (such
as a/ux traffic, or programmer questions for the macintosh).  Has the
traffic about telebit modems become unbearably heavy?

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,ihnp4,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (08/26/88)

In article <78700003@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> I would classify the telebit modem as an insanely
> popular 9600 baud modem.

Only for those of us stuck with IBM AT-architecture serial ports :-(. To the
rest of you, it's an insanely popular 19,200 baud modem.
--
Evan Leibovitch, SA of System Telly, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
            evan@telly.UUCP / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (08/29/88)

In article <318@telly.UUCP> evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
...In article <78700003@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
...>
...> I would classify the telebit modem as an insanely
...> popular 9600 baud modem.
...Only for those of us stuck with IBM AT-architecture serial ports :-(. To the
...rest of you, it's an insanely popular 19,200 baud modem.

With the proper comm program (like Pro-YAM), you can run your TB+ at
19,200 bps (or at least, at 18,000 bps).