[comp.dcom.modems] Novation SmartCat 1200 baud modem

rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) (08/24/88)

     This is really a shot in the dark, but I have a Novation SmartCat modem
that I bought about 6 years ago and lost the manual to it 5 years ago.  Never
was a problem till last year, because I knew how to do the important things
like set the baud rate and dial.  Last year, however, I started calling our
VAX and discovered that my modem seemed to be changing the parity and the VAX
didn't like that at all.  After starting with "%A" and working towards "%Z",
I found the command to make it compatable with our VAX to be "%F 3".  God only
knows what that stands for.  Now text works just fine, but Kermit keeps timing
out with my modem, but not with a friend's, and I can't get it to communicate
with our NAS mainframe.  I'm just short of saying the hell with it and buying
a new modem, but I figured I'd try this first.  If by any chance someone out
there has a manual for it, could you please EMAIL me a list of the commands
and the DIP switch settings (I've been afraid to even touch them).

Thank you,

Rich Champeaux
Clemson University

wilhite@usceast.UUCP (Robert Wilhite) (08/24/88)

In article <2821@hubcap.UUCP> rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) writes:

>     This is really a shot in the dark, but I have a Novation SmartCat modem
>that I bought about 6 years ago and lost the manual to it 5 years ago.
>...could you please EMAIL me a list of the commands....
>
>Rich Champeaux
>Clemson University

Right.  We're s'posed to BELIEVE this?  What you're really saying is
you don't have the manual because it's PIRATED, right??  Oh, it's easy
to say "I bought it and lost the manual", but we all know better.  And
now you want US to assist you in your disgusting crime, well I for one...

...did you say "modem"?    Oh...    that's hardware, isn't it.

<blush>  Nevermind.
--
--------------------------------
Robert Wilhite

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (09/06/88)

In article <2667@usceast.UUCP>, Robert Wilhite) writes:
> In article <2821@hubcap.UUCP>, (Richard Champeaux) writes:
> >
> >This is really a shot in the dark, but I have a Novation SmartCat modem
> >[...]
> you don't have the manual because it's PIRATED, right??

What does pirated mean.
I thought you could only pirate software.
--
Dave Arnold
dave@arnold.UUCP	{cci632|uunet}!ccicpg!arnold!dave