[comp.dcom.modems] need volksmodem dip-switch definitions

lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) (08/26/88)

I have a volksmodem 1200 baud.  It has a couple of dipswitches that
are visible from behind the modem.  We lost the manual.  I was wondering
what the dipswitches mean... especially which switch should I use to
shut off autoanswer.  Thanks for any help you can give.
--
	"What is a DJ if he can't scratch?"  - Uncle Jamms Army
The views expressed are those of the author, and not of Visual Edge, nor Usenet.

David_W_Tamkin@cup.portal.com (09/04/88)

In article 689@vedge.UUCP, David Lai asks:

^I have a volksmodem 1200 baud.  It has a couple of dipswitches that
^are visible from behind the modem.  We lost the manual.  I was wondering
^what the dipswitches mean... especially which switch should I use to
^shut off autoanswer.  Thanks for any help you can give.

In the manual from my vintage October, 1985, Volksmodem 12, page 13,
it reads that switches 3 and 4 are supernumerary.

Switch 1 passes DCD to the computer if down and holds DCD true if up.
I have had systems that refused to enter terminal mode unless DCD
was true: since they couldn't send a dialing string to the modem
unless DCD was already true, I had to put the switch up.

Switch 2 lets the modem accept DTR from the computer if down; the modem
will not answer (and will hang up if currently on line) if the switch is
down and the computer brings DTR to false.  If the switch is up, the modem
ignores DTR.

The only way to shut off autoanswer is to send the modem ATS0=0 after
every power-up or reset.  The Volks 12 has no NVR and does not store
settings nor recognize such extended Hayes set commands as AT&W and AT&F.
After every power-up or ATZ, S0 holds a 1 again and the modem will answer
on the first ring.  This can be changed only in software.

David_W_Tamkin@cup.portal.com  ||  sun!portal!cup.portal.com!david_w_tamkin

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (09/08/88)

In article <689@vedge.UUCP>, lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) wrote:
>I have a volksmodem 1200 baud.  It has a couple of dipswitches that
>are visible from behind the modem.  ...  I was wondering
>what the dipswitches mean... especially which switch should I use to
>shut off autoanswer.

If you are looking at the modem from the back, the left DIP switch
controls if the modem will always force DCD high on the serial cable,
and the right DIP switch controls if the modem pays any attention to
the signal on the DTR line of the serial cable.  For example:

Left DIP switch up:	Modem always keep DCD high
Left DIP switch down:	DCD reflects carrier-detect status in modem

Right DIP switch up:	Modem ignores the status of DTR
Right DIP switch down:	DTR can be used to put modem on/off line

The modem command "ATS0=0" can be used to tell the modem to not
auto-answer.  Note that this setting is lost if the modem is
powered down.

The modem will also not answer the phone when the right DIP switch is
in the down position and the DTR line is low.

--
Samuel Lam     {alberta,watmath,uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!ubc-cs!van-bc!skl