[comp.dcom.modems] 2400 baud modem comparison.

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) (09/07/88)

Ok, this is probably the 100'th time this question has come up.  Unfortunately
for me, I've never seen it before.  I'm looking for a 2400 baud modem, in the
$100 -> $200 range, and I've noticed that there is a *marked* difference in
price between different manufacturers.  Not only that, but each manufacturer
seems to be offering a variety of different models (with a wide variance in
price).  My question is this, WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE???  I mean, if it is
performance - ie, the regular 2400 baud will get an error in 10^4 (as an
example), whereas the 2400E (or whatever) gets an error in 10^6 (as another
example).  I'd rather not get involved in six months of research on what
makes these modems different, I'd rather steal someone elses data :-)
Anyway, I'm looking for an external (as opposed to an IBM-PC internal) modem.
It would be nice if it were Hayes-compatible (but not necessary, if it's
going to cost more).  I notice that US Robotics has decent prices, but I
can't remember whether their modems are really good, or really bad.  Anyone
got any tips?? (Is that a pun?).  Please, don't bother telling me how nice
it would be to use a Tb 9.6Kb, I *know* :-(  As an aside, if anyone is
actually planning to sell such a beast, send me email.  And finally, if you
are replying (and I hope you are...), please note that for some reason this
site does not show up in the maps yet, so please use the full path (yeugh!)
					Regards,
					- Der
--
ME:	dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Dermot Tynan)	postmaster@sultra.UUCP
or:	pyramid!sultra!dtynan

banderso@sagpd1.UUCP (Bruce Anderson) (09/11/88)

In article <2213@sultra.UUCP> dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) writes:
>Ok, this is probably the 100'th time this question has come up.  Unfortunately
>for me, I've never seen it before.  I'm looking for a 2400 baud modem, in the
>$100 -> $200 range,
>I notice that US Robotics has decent prices, but I
>can't remember whether their modems are really good, or really bad.

From things I have seen, US Robotics seems to have a decent reputation
but you wouldn't know it from my experience. About four months ago I
bought a USR Sportster 2400, one of their inexpensive, non-MNP modems.
In that time I have had to send it back 3 times. The first time after
about a month and a half because it suddenly started to get garbage
characters after it warmed up. When it came back it was not fixed so
I sent it back again. This time they replaced the entire board and
then it worked for another month. About a week ago it broke so that
it didn't even recognize an incoming carrier, so it's back in the mail.

Due to the fact that I'm getting about 25-30% down time from sending
it back for repair I would strongly recommend against a USR Sporster 2400

    Bruce Anderson
    ...!ncr-sd!sagpd1!banderso

Since I don't know what my employers opinions are, these must be mine.