[comp.dcom.modems] Group 3 Fax Protocols

jeff@gatech.edu (Jeff Lee) (09/07/88)

It seems I botched this the last time I sent it in (to comp.dcom.telecom).
This is the group I meant to send it to.

Anyway, I am doing some work that requires knowledge of the group 2 and
group 3 facsimile protocols. Can anyone here point me to a source of this
information? Vendor manuals, standards papers, or even word of mouth or
the address of a person with a copy machine.

I need this relatively quickly so don't be shy about sending mail. I'll
probably take this information and compress it and post it to the net at
large since I believe I have seen another person or two asking for something
similar.

Thanks much,
--
Jeff Lee	c/o School of ICS / 225 North Ave. / Atlanta, Ga. 30332
Internet:	jeff@gatech.edu postmaster@gatech.edu news@gatech.edu

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (09/07/88)

these protocols are described in documents from CCITT (d'accord?).

group 2 is simple bitmapped graphics.

group 3 encodes the bitmap via a nifty combination of runlength
and Huffman coding...  get ready to do a lot of accurate typing
if you want to do your own conversions...

there are a *bunch* of PC-boards on the market which will turn your
IBM PC into a fax machine...  one of the companies who supplies these
products might be able to get you a copy of the CCITT spec, if you
don't feel like writing to France.  (they must be available somewhere
in the US -- i don't know where, though).

a bon chance!

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (09/08/88)

In article <1812@spdcc.COM>, eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
> ... a copy of the CCITT spec, if you
> don't feel like writing to France.  (they must be available somewhere
> in the US -- i don't know where, though).

Try `Global Engineering Documents'.  These are the same people who
carry the ANSI standards, and the catalog I saw shows lots and lots
of standards.  I have no connection with them, etc.

	Global Engineering Docs
	2805 McGaw
	Irvine, CA  92714
	+1 714 261 1455

     Steve

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

stanwyck@druco.ATT.COM (D. Stanwyck) (09/12/88)

in article <1812@spdcc.COM>, eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) says:
> these protocols are described in documents from CCITT (d'accord?).
> group 2 is simple bitmapped graphics.
> group 3 encodes the bitmap via a nifty combination of runlength
> and Huffman coding...  get ready to do a lot of accurate typing
> if you want to do your own conversions...
> ... products might be able to get you a copy of the CCITT spec, if you
> don't feel like writing to France.  (they must be available somewhere
> in the US -- i don't know where, though).

To get a copy of the 1984 version of the Group 2 and Group 3
recommendations, contact Omnicom, Inc, in Vienna, VA (703) 281-1135.  They
are the official representitives in the USA.

Writing to France won't help.  The CCITT is located at the ITU tower in
Geneva, SWITZERLAND.  To order directly from the CCITT, allow 15 weeks for
delivery, and enclose a check for the correct amount in Swiss Francs.  The
address is:
	CCITT - Document Order
	International Telecommunications Union
	Place des Nation
	CH-1211 Geneva, Switzerland

The text you are looking for the Fascicle VII.3, also known as the T-series
Recommendations.  Recommendation T.3 covers Group 2, T.4 covers Group 3.
You should also read T.0, T.10. T.10bis, T.20, T.21, and T.30.
--
AT&T 				o  o			303-538-5004
Don Stanwyck		         ||   			druco!stanwyck