[comp.dcom.modems] No reset??

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (09/15/88)

I have a Trailblazer on a 3B2/400 running HDB uucp.  From time to time,
a caller will get "NO ANSWER" from the system.  I suspect that this is
somehow related to what happens when someone calls in and then hangs up
(rather than logging out).

I'm not sure if either problem resides in the modem, the cabling, or the
I/O port, so I'm open to suggestions for experimentation.  (I have both
PORTS and EPORTS on the 3B2.  Do you think that hardware handshaking
between the 'blazer and an EPORT might help?)

Thanks.

Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division                   ...!att!jonlab!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334
1200 Old Trenton Road           GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (09/17/88)

In article <822@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

|>I have a Trailblazer on a 3B2/400 running HDB uucp.  From time to time,
|>a caller will get "NO ANSWER" from the system.  I suspect that this is
|>somehow related to what happens when someone calls in and then hangs up
|>(rather than logging out).
|>
|>I'm not sure if either problem resides in the modem, the cabling, or the
|>I/O port, so I'm open to suggestions for experimentation.  (I have both
|>PORTS and EPORTS on the 3B2.  Do you think that hardware handshaking
|>between the 'blazer and an EPORT might help?)

I don't know whether the Hardware Flow control will work, but this happens
as well on my AT&T 3B1.  I've heard the symptoms called the "comatose" mode
on the 'Blazer.  It's probably the only think that really bothers me
about the modem... all in all it's a fine machine.

What I've noticed is that it happens with calls terminate abnormally,
either hung up or possibly some sort of long BREAK signal.  It might
also have to do with the XON/XOFF handshaking, the modem getting
a XOFF, and never getting the paired XON.  For some reason the modem
doesn't reset.  It will not accept commands, or for that matter incoming
calls.

My kludge is to kill the uugetty (which drops DTR, therefore resetting
the modem) every 1/2 hour.  I hope the BA4.01 ROMs fix this problem.
I hope the upgrade is free as well... since there are bugs in the ROMS.

-Lenny
--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny@icus.islp.ny.us
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...sbcs   \

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (09/19/88)

In article <494@icus.islp.ny.us> lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>What I've noticed is that it happens with calls terminate abnormally,
>either hung up or possibly some sort of long BREAK signal.  It might
>also have to do with the XON/XOFF handshaking, the modem getting
>a XOFF, and never getting the paired XON.  For some reason the modem
>doesn't reset.  It will not accept commands, or for that matter incoming
>calls.
>
>My kludge is to kill the uugetty (which drops DTR, therefore resetting
>the modem) every 1/2 hour.  I hope the BA4.01 ROMs fix this problem.
>I hope the upgrade is free as well... since there are bugs in the ROMS.

There will always be bugs in the firmware... This business of free
upgrades has been beaten to death before! Our cure to the lockup problem
is also to kill the getty on a regular basis. This is best handled
by making sure DCD is actually tracking the true carrier state, and
adding "-t 120" to the {uu}getty parameter list. In this mode, the
getty will recycle 120 seconds after DCD is asserted unless someone
has logged in. This will drop DTR which (should) force a modem
reset.

[ The -t flag may not be documented in your man page, however it
  exists in every V7 and later getty/uugetty I've seen. BSD uses
  the "to" entry in gettytab. I'm not sure how 4.3 does it. ]

--
VE6BBM   {alberta,pyramid,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA