[comp.dcom.modems] Modem Pooling

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (09/13/88)

We have an application for Modem Pooling and are considering the
MultiTech 224 as we have heard that these modems will do bit rate
conversion...  I.E. the terminals can be set for 9600 BPS
regardless of what the actual line rate is.

My question to the NET is, has anyone had any experience using
this feature of the MultiTechs?

Also does anyone know of other modems that perform this trick?  I
understand that there are external boxes that will do the
conversion at an RS-232 point.

Thanks in Advance...
--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

   ihnp4!mibte!jbh   or try   ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (09/14/88)

In article <2687@mibte.UUCP>, jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:
> We have an application for Modem Pooling and are considering the
> MultiTech 224 as we have heard that these modems will do bit rate
> conversion...  I.E. the terminals can be set for 9600 BPS
> regardless of what the actual line rate is.
>
> My question to the NET is, has anyone had any experience using
> this feature of the MultiTechs?

  We use the speed rate conversion, but not to that extreme.  E.g., we
  have a set of these MT's on dialin lines; the computer side is set to
  a fixed 1200 baud while the dialin side performs autobaud between 300
  and 2400.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (09/18/88)

In article <2687@mibte.UUCP> jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:
>We have an application for Modem Pooling and are considering the
>MultiTech 224 as we have heard that these modems will do bit rate
>conversion...  I.E. the terminals can be set for 9600 BPS
>regardless of what the actual line rate is.
>Also does anyone know of other modems that perform this trick?

The Telebit Trailblazer allows you to fix the local terminal or host speed,
regardless of the speed you end up communicating at down the dialup
line.  Works fine (I keep my home terminal at 19200, even when calling
systems that are at 1200 or 2400).  It's register S51.

David Sherman
--
{ uunet!attcan  att  pyramid!utai  utzoo } !lsuc!dave

bga@raspail.UUCP (Bruce Albrecht) (09/19/88)

In article <2687@mibte.UUCP>, jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:
> My question to the NET is, has anyone had any experience using
> this feature of the MultiTechs?

Here at Control Data, we use Multitech 224's with baud rate conversion (from
9600 at host to user's baud rate).  I believe the people responsible for
hardware configuration had some problems getting them set up correctly, but
once they did, there were few problems.  The only problem that I have
encountered is that my Zenith Z-49 (a DEC VT100 clone) cannot run with software
flow control (x-off) for such things as smooth scroll or hold page, because
the response to the x-off is too slow (I am running on a non-Multi-Tech 1200
baud modem), and the buffer gets overrun.  This too, may be a configuration
problem.
> Also does anyone know of other modems that perform this trick?  I
> understand that there are external boxes that will do the
> conversion at an RS-232 point.

I believe Micom (who, I believe, developed MNP compression) also does this.

thad@cup.portal.com (09/19/88)

The ARK 24K modems permit a DTE data rate different from the "modem" rate.

That is, I have all RS-232 serial ports on my systems at 9600 baud, and the
modem "does its thing" at any of 2400, 1200 or 300 baud (as appropriate).

These modems also have 1K data buffers and something akin to (and compatible
with) MNP.

FYI, ARK is located:  1500 Nasa Blvd.; Melbourne, FLorida  32901
Can't locate their phone # in the manuals.

OOPS: `Nasa' should be `NASA'

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (09/21/88)

>I believe Micom (who, I believe, developed MNP compression) also does this.

I think the M in MNP is Microcom, not Micom.

(I hate confusing names like this.  Ever try to explain to a non-english
speaking grad student the difference between Telenet and telnet?)
--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, or my 11/34)