[comp.dcom.modems] Everex EV-945A

km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) (09/12/88)

Can anyone comment on experience with the Everex EV-945A?
Its a 2400 baud MNP (Class 3) external modem. We can get
them locally for $180 which seems like a bargain. Everex
says the list is $499.

If you know of a better 2400/MNP modem in this price
range, that information would also be appreciated.
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (09/16/88)

In article <3186@emory.uucp> km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Can anyone comment on experience with the Everex EV-945A?
>Its a 2400 baud MNP (Class 3) external modem. We can get
>them locally for $180 which seems like a bargain.

This sounds like the same modem as the Everex EMAC MD2400+ (which is the
Macintosh version) - I suspect the only difference is the cable with
which it is supplied.

We can get these for $180 direct from Everex.  I bought one several months
ago and am generally quite happy with it.  The MNP works well for me
with the University's new modem pool.  There are some nice features like
a 200 character buffer, options for how the modem responds to loss of DTR,
inactivity timer, etc, but NO non-volatile memory for storing defaults.

I don't see any noticeable throughput improvement with MNP turned on, though
I do get a "cleaner" connection.  I've used it with my Mac and now have
it setup with my AT&T 3B1 where my UUCP logs show an average throughput of
about 210 characters/second.

Note that this is *not* the same (often flamed) 2400 baud modem which Everex
sold prior to February, 1988.  Numerous problems were reported with these,
but I have not experienced anything out of the ordinary.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::  Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director   :: System Operator, "The CallBoard"
:: Department of Theatre, SUNY Oswego  :: - Serving the performing arts -
:: Internet: ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU :: (315) 947-6414, 300/1200 baud, 8N1
::        Voice: (315) 341-2987        :: UUCP ...sunybcs!oswego!cboard!ostroff
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) (09/19/88)

In article <930@oswego.Oswego.EDU>, ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
> In article <3186@emory.uucp> km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
> >Can anyone comment on experience with the Everex EV-945A?
> >Its a 2400 baud MNP (Class 3) external modem. We can get
> >them locally for $180 which seems like a bargain.

> I don't see any noticeable throughput improvement with MNP turned on, though
> I do get a "cleaner" connection.  I've used it with my Mac and now have

  From my understanding of the MNP protocol, classes 1-3 does async to sync
conversion (strips start and stop bits) and also adds the error detection.
I think the affective increase at this stage is 5 to 9 percent (ie. throughput
is 109% of a non MNP modem).  Classes 4-5 incororate error compression (and
something else) which would increase the effective throughput of the modem.

						Jeff White
						Drexel University - ECE Dept.
						rutgers!bpa!drexel!jeff

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (09/27/88)

According to jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White):
>  [MNP] classes 4-5 incororate error compression (and
>something else) which would increase the effective throughput of the modem.

In fact, most errors can be compressed to nothing.
--
Chip Salzenberg                <chip@ateng.uu.net> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering                My employer may or may not agree with me.