[comp.dcom.modems] TB+'s and hardware flow control on Sun 3's

brian@natinst.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) (09/23/88)

     We just got a Trailblazer for our Sun 3/160 running SunOS 4.0, which we
use for uucp.

     We talk to one site that can't handle anything faster than 9600 baud.  We
talk to another site that talks 19.2 to its modem.  Ideally, we'd like to
autobaud between the TB and the Sun, so that we'd always be talking at
whatever baud rate was expected.  Unfortunately, if you set the S51 register
to 254 or 255, and you want to talk 19.2 kbaud, you have to type AAT initially
instead of AT.  Our uucico doesn't (seem to) let you change how it talks to
the modem, so I can't just tell it to use AAT instead of AT.
     What I've done instead is to set S51 to 5, and always talk 19.2 to the
modem.  If I don't have flow control, is this a good idea for the 9600 baud
site?  Will the uucp spoofing suffice for flow control?  It seems to be
working so far, but there are occasional delays (2+ seconds) when transferring
large files.
     Even better, can somebody tell me how to get CTS/RTS flow control on
the Sun?
     Thanks for any help.

Brian H. Powell					National Instruments Corp.
	brian@natinst.uucp			12109 Technology Blvd.
	cs.utexas.edu!natinst!brian		Austin, Texas 78727-6204
	AppleLink:D0351				(512) 250-9119 x832

marc@ima.ima.isc.com (Marc Evans) (09/27/88)

Contact both Sun support and Telebit. Sun should be asked for the patch
for the TTY driver which enables flow control to work reasonably at speeds
greater then 9600 baud. Telebit should be asked for a configuration
guide sheet(s) for setting up the TB on a sun system.

When I asked Sun for the info, they E-Mailed it to me (uuencoded).
Telebit faxed me the configuration params within 1 hour of requesting...

Marc Evans | decvax<--\    /-->marc<--\               | That's not a bug...It's
Synergytics| harvard<--\  /            \              | a design feature... 8-)
Pelham, NH | necntc<---->ima<---------->edogte        | =======================

mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) (10/02/88)

In article <1151@natinst.UUCP> brian@natinst.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) writes:

>     We just got a Trailblazer for our Sun 3/160 running SunOS 4.0, which we
>use for uucp.
>
>     We talk to one site that can't handle anything faster than 9600 baud.  We
>talk to another site that talks 19.2 to its modem.  Ideally, we'd like to
>autobaud between the TB and the Sun, so that we'd always be talking at
>whatever baud rate was expected.  Unfortunately, if you set the S51 register
>to 254 or 255, and you want to talk 19.2 kbaud, you have to type AAT initially
>instead of AT.  Our uucico doesn't (seem to) let you change how it talks to
>the modem, so I can't just tell it to use AAT instead of AT.

XENIX uucico calls /usr/lib/uucp/dial first if the L.sys entry is
"ACU <speed>".  A TB+ dialer was posted to one of the newsgroups some
time ago (it does not work under XENIX, different .h files, but it told
me how to modify the generic dial.c to work).  The dialer I am using now
outputs AT\r at the correct speed, looks for an OK, tries again if no OK,
ad nauseum until the timer stops it.

I believe that BSD UNIX does the same sort of thing and know nothing about
HDB uucp.

Mike Squires Allegheny College Meadville, PA 16335 814 724 3360
uucp: ..!cwjcc!ncoast!{mikes,peng!sir-alan!mikes} or ..!pitt!sir-alan!mikes
BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX) MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)
Internet: sir-alan!mikes@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu