[comp.dcom.modems] hayes 2400 "brain damage"

tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) (09/30/88)

In article <16285@onfcanim.UUCP>, dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) writes:
> The Hayes 2400 is also somewhat brain-damaged.
>
> 	1) [one minor problem and its workaround omitted]
>
> 	2) You can tell the modem to hang up when DTR drops, OR
> 	   to reset itself to saved settings when DTR drops, but
> 	   not both.

This is incorrect; the setting which causes the modem to reset itself
ALSO hangs up.  There is no way to reset the modem without hanging up
(it's not clear that that makes much sense, anyway).

> 	3) The DTR light on the front panel is always on, regardless
> 	   of the actual state of DTR, even when the modem is configured
> 	   to use DTR to prevent answer/hang up the phone.

False. The light tracks the state of the DTR line UNLESS you configure
the modem to ignore DTR entirely, in which case the light remains on.

I have had no problems with my Hayes 2400 that are the result of poor
functional design.  It did fail to survive a lightning strike on
the phone pole across the street...

--
				tom lane
Internet: tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (10/01/88)

In article <3167@pt.cs.cmu.edu> tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) writes:
 >> 	2) You can tell the modem to hang up when DTR drops, OR
 >> 	   to reset itself to saved settings when DTR drops, but
 >> 	   not both.
 >
 >This is incorrect; the setting which causes the modem to reset itself
 >ALSO hangs up.  There is no way to reset the modem without hanging up
 >(it's not clear that that makes much sense, anyway).

Perhaps I misremembered - perhaps the problem is that it still answers
when the phone rings even when DTR is down.  I remember that there was no
way to get the modem to reset itself, and hang up the phone if it was
connected, and not answer rings, when DTR was down, and you want all
three at the same time.

 >> 	3) The DTR light on the front panel is always on, regardless
 >> 	   of the actual state of DTR, even when the modem is configured
 >> 	   to use DTR to prevent answer/hang up the phone.
 >
 >False. The light tracks the state of the DTR line UNLESS you configure
 >the modem to ignore DTR entirely, in which case the light remains on.

And I have one in my machine room that behaves as I described.  It's
one of the new V-series 2400's; perhaps these introduced new bugs
that weren't present in the plain 2400's?

del@Data-IO.COM (Erik Lindberg) (10/04/88)

In article <16321@onfcanim.UUCP> dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) writes:
>In article <3167@pt.cs.cmu.edu> tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) writes:
> >
> >False. The light tracks the state of the DTR line UNLESS you configure
> >the modem to ignore DTR entirely, in which case the light remains on.
>
>And I have one in my machine room that behaves as I described.  It's
>one of the new V-series 2400's; perhaps these introduced new bugs
>that weren't present in the plain 2400's?

Perhaps you just have a defective modem with a bad LED driver or a short?
It's been known to happen...

--
del (Erik Lindberg)
uw-beaver!tikal!pilchuck!del