[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes' special offer to BBS sysops

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (10/06/88)

In article <5521@hoptoad.uucp>, pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) writes:

>                 In the states, the HST is the default 9600 b/s
> modem in FidoNet.  Too bad.  I think the Telebit has a better
> protocol.

The HST, however, is still a good bit cheaper.

I've heard that US Robotics and Telebit have banded together for a
proposal to CCITT. From what I recall, they are planning a standard
in which ALL conforming modems would have the HSR transmission method,
with the Telebit PEP protocol being optional.

Supposedly, at connect time the two modems would determine which of them
had PEP capability. If both have PEP, great, and off they go. If only
one or neither modem has PEP, they fall back to HST mode.

Assuming that both US Robotics and Telebit can update existing modems
to that standard, that may provide the best of both worlds.

Where would that leave those of you who bought Hayes?
--
 Evan Leibovitch, SA of System Telly, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
evan@telly.UUCP (PENDING: evan@telly.on.ca) / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan