[comp.dcom.modems] Haye's special offer to BBS sysops

paul@csnz.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (09/29/88)

I have seen a press release from Hayes in which they are offering
their new 9600 bps modem to sysops of qualifying BBS at a VERY
special price, i.e. US$400.  This is some 70% off retail, so it
looks like a very attractive offer.  I almost had written the cheque
when I relalized that it would probably NOT be compatible with
the nearly-de facto standard, the Trailblazer Plus (trademark of
Telebit, I guess).

So, I'm in a quandary.  (=dilemma*2).  Do I buy a couple of the new
Hayes, which they plan to make V.4{2,3} compatible?  Or should I
save my pennies for a Telebit?  Will the TB+ ever support V.32 or
any other CCITT standard besides V.22bis?  Will the new Hayes EVER
be able to talk to a Trailblazer, or vice versa?

I need your collective wisdom to help make this decision.  Of course,
the _VERY BEST_ solution for me would be to receive a nice letter
via e-mail from Telebit offering to sell me one of their new TB+
modems for US$400!!   How about it guys?  I'm in a position to promote
a lot of your modems down in this neck'o'the woods (New Zealand!).
I believe the TB+ is manufactured in Australasia under license by
Netcomm - hope this won't be a problem.

Cheers from way down-under!

--
Paul Gillingwater --> Path: ...!uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul
Computer Sciences of New Zealand Ltd.  	Domain: paul@csnz.co.nz

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (10/03/88)

In article <71@csnz.nz>, paul@csnz.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
> I have seen a press release from Hayes in which they are offering
> their new 9600 bps modem to sysops of qualifying BBS at a VERY
> special price, i.e. US$400.  This is some 70% off retail, so it
> looks like a very attractive offer.  I almost had written the cheque
> when I relalized that it would probably NOT be compatible with
> the nearly-de facto standard, the Trailblazer Plus (trademark of
> Telebit, I guess).

The reason the Telebit is a de facto standard is that the
manufacturer offered it to UNIX system administrators at a very good
price for a year or so.  It has become the de facto standard among
UNIX systems (on the UUCP network).

I think Hayes is trying to accomplish the same thing with users of
MS-DOS that Telebit has accomplished in the UNIX community.  By
offering it to BBS operators, they get the BBS's to advertise it.
This will sell it to BBS users, as they'll want to connect to the
BBS at high speeds.

"The greatest thing about standards is that there are so many of
them."  I forget who said that, but it seems very applicable here.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney

stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (10/03/88)

In article <389@westmark.UUCP>, dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:

> "The greatest thing about standards is that there are so many of
> them."  I forget who said that, but it seems very applicable here.

	"The nice things about standards is that you have so many
	to choose from; furthermore, if you do not like any of
	them, you can just wait for next year's model."

From "Computer Networks" by Tanenbaum, 1981 edition, p. 168.  I still
haven't received my copy of the new edition to see if the quote
is still there.

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (10/04/88)

In article <71@csnz.nz>, paul@csnz.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
> I have seen a press release from Hayes in which they are offering
> their new 9600 bps modem to sysops of qualifying BBS at a VERY
> special price, i.e. US$400.

As I recall, there is also a Trailbalzer offer out on the table.
From my foggy memory, it's for about $700 per unit, not for BBS sites,
but for registered uunet sites.
--

Time is nature's way of				Jean-Pierre Radley
making sure that everything			..!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!jpr

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (10/04/88)

In article <389@westmark.UUCP> dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
>The reason the Telebit is a de facto standard is that the
>manufacturer offered it to UNIX system administrators at a very good
>price for a year or so.  It has become the de facto standard among
>UNIX systems (on the UUCP network).
>
>I think Hayes is trying to accomplish the same thing with users of
>MS-DOS that Telebit has accomplished in the UNIX community.  By
>offering it to BBS operators, they get the BBS's to advertise it.
>This will sell it to BBS users, as they'll want to connect to the
>BBS at high speeds.

     A side note...
     USR offered a sysop deal for 2400 b/s modems for FidoNet
sysops.  When the HST came out they did the same thing.  Each
time they left Hayes in the dust by offering it first and for
slightly less.  In the states, the HST is the default 9600 b/s
modem in FidoNet.  Too bad.  I think the Telebit has a better
protocol.
	      Tim

--
 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108

pete@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peter Franks) (10/06/88)

In article <6801@dasys1.UUCP> jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
|In article <71@csnz.nz>, paul@csnz.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
|> I have seen a press release from Hayes in which they are offering
|> their new 9600 bps modem to sysops of qualifying BBS at a VERY
|> special price, i.e. US$400.
|
|As I recall, there is also a Trailbalzer offer out on the table.
|From my foggy memory, it's for about $700 per unit, not for BBS sites,
|but for registered uunet sites.

I was told when I ordered my Trailblazer last week that the half-price
USENET offer expires on September 30, 1988 (last Friday).

--
Remember:
	No matter how obnoxious it gets, you CANNOT execute a device!

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (10/06/88)

In article <6801@dasys1.UUCP> jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
...As I recall, there is also a Trailbalzer offer out on the table.
...From my foggy memory, it's for about $700 per unit, not for BBS sites,
...but for registered uunet sites.
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
             I believe that the latest offer is open to those who are
             in the process of becoming usenet (not uunet) sites.
	     Anyone know for certain?

Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division                   ...!att!jonlab!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334
1200 Old Trenton Road           GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800

grumpy@edg1.UUCP (Eric Schwarz) (10/06/88)

In article <306@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>              I believe that the latest offer is open to those who are
>              in the process of becoming usenet (not uunet) sites.
> 	     Anyone know for certain?

The offer expired at the end of September.  This is what the people at Telebit
told me when I ordered our 2 modems on September 28 (whew, just in time!).

Eric Schwarz
uunet!edg1!grumpy