[comp.dcom.modems] Call waiting and modem!!

sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) (10/04/88)

I have a Call waiting feature installed on my phone, (assume everybody knows
what is Call waiting), this is a very nice feature because I don't have to
worry about "busy" tone to the person who is calling me.  Until I've found
out that Calling waiting and modem cannot exist together.  The problem is
when someone calls and I am using modem the telephone signal will disconnect
my modem from the phoneline.  Is there anyway that I can by pass the Call
waiting feature or temperory disconnect this feature?  Any input will be
helpful.

                                                    SJF Lim.

jio@cpsc55.ATT.COM (James Odom) (10/04/88)

From article <8858@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, by sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM):
>                               Is there anyway that I can by pass the Call
> waiting feature or temperory disconnect this feature?  Any input will be
> helpful.
>
>                                                     SJF Lim.

Most telephone exchanges will now accept *70 from a touchtone phone
or 1170 from a rotary phone as prefix to the number you are dialing.
This will turnoff the call waiting for the duration of the present
call.  Dialing *70 or 1170 will get a quick drop of dialtone and
then a secondary dialtone. Dial your number.
	I.e: *70 <pause> NNX-XXXX
If you use a dialing directory or script language with your communications
program, use a comma in the directory entry for the pause in the number
dialed.

|James I. Odom                                                           |
|AT&T    CPSC         Denver, Co               Voice:   (303) 889-0211   |
|ATTMAIL:  JODOM      Compuserve: 70070,137    uucp:    att!cpsc55!jio   |
|                     BIX:        jodom        SOURCE:  TCC375           |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed are my own etc.                      |

kjc@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT4134000~Kevin Coulter~C29~L18~6282~) (10/04/88)

In article <8858@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) writes:
>Calling waiting and modem cannot exist together.
>Is there anyway that I can by pass the Call
>waiting feature or temperory disconnect this feature?

In most areas you can disable it. I reiterate MOST. The Illinois Bell way is
*70 before the phone number (from a touch tone phone. There is a way to do
it from rotary, but I can't remember it). You can check the phone book or
call your service rep to find out for sure if you can disable it and exactly
what you dial first.

ex: trying to call 123-4567. To disable FOR THIS CALL ONLY: *70 123-4567

				Kevin

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (10/05/88)

I'll post this promptly before we get into flame and counter
flame wars.

Some phone exchanges allow you do disable call waiting on a
per call basis by typing *70 or 70# before placing the call.
This is not universal, and is a extra cost option in some
areas.   The catch-22 here is that most phone switches that
support this also do not make the annoying click that accompanies
the call waiting beep.  From my own experience, the beep itself
does not kill the line, but it is the click interrupting the
carrier that does.  Hence, if your switch is smart enough to
have the ability to kill call waiting, it probably doesn't
cause you a problem to leave it on.

If you are not able to disable call waiting, another hack exists.
You can call-forward your phone to another phone before placing
the call.  Call waiting doesn't go off, because your call is
automatically transfered.  Find someplace innocuous to send these
people to (some phone companies have hooks that keep you from sending
them to the weather number).

If all else fails, order another phone line.  Not only does this provide
for allowing telephone calls while the modem is in use, but it also
elimiates the need for call waiting (you can just get the phones to
hunt when the first is busy).

-Ron

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (10/05/88)

(Sigh.  Time to post this, I see.)

Call waiting is a feature offered by your local telephone company.  As
such, the methods by which it is enabled and disabled are local to your
telephone company.  Therefore, asking the entire world (via USENET) how
to disable call waiting is counterproductive: the answers you get from
Australia are not likely to apply to the French telephone system, and
the way it is done in Korea is probably different than the way it is
done by New York Telephone.  Instead, you should ask your local
telephone company.  They provide the service; of all people, they ought
to know how it works.

That said, many U.S. telcos seem to use the code `*70' (or, from dial
phones, 1170) to disable call waiting.  If this does not work for you,
ask your local telco office.  If all else fails, you can always get
another phone number.

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (10/06/88)

In article <8858@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) writes:
>worry about "busy" tone to the person who is calling me.  Until I've found
>out that Calling waiting and modem cannot exist together.  The problem is

I've always avoided this feature in the past, for just this reason.
Last week, NJ Bell sent me a notice announcing their "Cancel Call
Waiting Feature".  So I'm all ready to sign up.  Then I read the fine
print: another .50/month just for the priveledge of cancelling call
waiting, on top of the cost for call waiting in the first place!!!
Sheesh!  The "Rape of the Ma Bell Customer". A new bestseller.
--
		Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc.
		rick%pcrat.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (10/07/88)

In article <8858@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) writes:
>  Long description of Call waiting deleted
>
>  Until I've found
>out that Calling waiting and modem cannot exist together.  The problem is
>when someone calls and I am using modem the telephone signal will disconnect
>my modem from the phoneline.  Is there anyway that I can by pass the Call
>waiting feature or temperory disconnect this feature?  Any input will be
>helpful.

  There is actually a two-pronged approach to the problem.  The first, and
probably the best is to take advantage of the "call waiting defeat"
option of the central office switch.  Look in the front of your
phone book (it's amazing how much info is there, once you look for it) and
find the code for it - here in Pacific Bell (Los Angeles) it's *70.
Modify your modem program dialing prefix from "ATDT" to "ATDT*70,".  The
comma pauses a moment for the "special function dial tone" to complete.
The *70 tells the CO switch to disable call waiting FOR THIS ONE CALL.  as
soon as you hang up call waiting is re-enabled.

The second prong is to change one of the modem S-registers.  Register 10 is
a "carrier dropout tolerance" value.  I forget what I set it to, but it
can be increased to "bridge" the duration of the call waiting beep.  You
may get a few words trashed (or a resent block in a file transfer), but you
won't get disconnected.  However the party calling you will think you aren't
home (rings forever), rather than getting a busy.  Note that S10 must be
greater than S9.  If S10 is set to 255 the modem will never disconnect.

BTW, the duration of the pause caused by the comma in the "ATDT*70," string
is controlled by the S8 register, which is defaulted to 2 seconds.

>                                                    SJF Lim.

Good luck, and let me know if any of this info is of any use.
I spent 5 years putting in phone systems (and connecting modems to multi-
line phones is NOT fun), and learned a few tricks.  It's nice to be able
to use help someone out once in a while.

#Include disclaimer.standard
#Include quote.cute

The opinions above probably do not even come close to those of my employer(s).

US Snail: ...............UUCP: .........................Also:
   Mike Morris .............morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov  ..... WA6ILQ
   P.O. Box 1130
   Arcadia, Ca. 91006-1130

kory@avatar.UUCP (Kory Hamzeh) (10/08/88)

In article <8858@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) writes:
> Is there anyway that I can by pass the Call
> waiting feature or temperory disconnect this feature?  Any input will be
> helpful.

[ I'm posting this because a lot of people, including myself, have or
  seem to run into this problem. ]

Your best bet would be to contact the business office of your local
phone company. We use PacBell, and to disbale call waiting all I need
to do is to prefix the number I'm dialing with *70. Call waiting will
then be disabled for the duration of the call (e.g. when I hang up,
call waiting function will resume).

This is a rather nice and simply fix. It, however, will not fix
problems if anyone is dailing in. I ended up getting a separate line
for dialing in.

Kory Hamzeh			    UUCP:     ..!uunet!psivax!quad1!avatar!kory
				    INTERNET: avatar!kory@quad.com

bga@raspail.UUCP (Bruce Albrecht) (10/09/88)

I don't know if this would help, but the temporary deactivation of call
waiting is a free service in several states (Minnesota, for sure).  Try
writing your state regulatory commission (ours is call Public Utilities
Commission) to find out why it's not bundled with call waiting.  If enough
people complained, they might make the phone company stop charging extra
for it, especially if it's a freebie elsewhere.

Bruce

syap@cc.rochester.edu (James Fitzwilliam) (10/09/88)

In article <Oct.4.13.18.43.1988.6114@ron.rutgers.edu> ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
*I'll post this promptly before we get into flame and counter
*flame wars.

Amen.

*Some phone exchanges allow you do disable call waiting on a
*per call basis by typing *70 or 70# before placing the call.
*This is not universal, and is a extra cost option in some
*areas.

Any switch capable of call waiting could be programmed to do this.
Sometimes they don't bother.  More frequently, the people selling the
services have no idea the capability exists or of why you'd want to
do such a thing in the first place.  If they don't sound convincing call
the techies in repair service, they should know.  Extra cost is the norm,
but is usually insignificant.

Let's **PLEASE** not have everyone reporting their own disable code, they're
all different, and are usually based on the model year of the programmer's
car.  The Telco folks who know the feature exists will tell you YOUR code.

*If you are not able to disable call waiting, another hack exists.
*You can call-forward your phone to another phone before placing
*the call.  Call waiting doesn't go off, because your call is
*automatically transfered.  Find someplace innocuous to send these
*people to (some phone companies have hooks that keep you from sending
*them to the weather number).

This method is ideal, but be careful.  Negligently forwarding your calls
to some innocent party is classifiable as an annoyance call.  (Which is
why you have to wait for an answer on the first attempt.)

*If all else fails, order another phone line.  Not only does this provide
*for allowing telephone calls while the modem is in use, but it also
*elimiates the need for call waiting (you can just get the phones to
*hunt when the first is busy).

I have a voice line with CW and a data line without.  If you want both
lines to have CW, forward the data line to your voice line and you're set.
(I assume this is what you mean by hunt.  True call hunt from the telco
is usually expensive and only provided for business lines.  Your mileage
may vary.)

Now, if someone could tell me why requesting a specific number would cost me
$50 PLUS A MONTHLY FEE (i.e. they charge monthly for a one-time operation)
then I'd know everything... (:

                                            James

       domain: syap@vera.cc.rochester.edu     |
     internet: 128.151.224.6                  |   "Piano is my forte"  (-:
possible path: ...!rochester!uhura!vera!syap  |
        GEnie: FITZWILLIAM                    |