[comp.dcom.modems] Communication problems involving PC-Interface and Procomm / Kermit

ccefhh@rivm.UUCP (Frits v de heuvel) (09/22/88)

We've got a problem with PC-Interface in cooperation with some
communication programms.

The equipment:

	- Different types of OLIVETTI / AT&T PC.
	  M24, M240, M28, & M280 =  6300 and 6300+ type.
	- 3Com Etherlink boards type 3C501
	  connected coaxial to fileservers (RG-58)
	- Standard COM1 + added COM2 Amptron IOS-r card (Taiwan)
	  used to connect via current loop interfaces with
	  other systems.
	- 640 KB ram or more

The software:

	- OLIVETTI MS-DOS versions 3.10, 3.27 & 3.30
	- PC-Interface versions 2.8.0 & 2.8.6
	  LOCUS computing corporation (DOS distribution)
	- PROCOMM version 2.4.2 and the latest version of PCPLUS
	- KERMIT several types (latest version V2.29)

Without activating the PC-Interface software, communication is
working well with PROCOMM & KERMIT through either COM1 and COM2.
As I activate PC-Interface, (login on a fileserver), and start
PROCOMM or KERMIT, terminal emulation seems to be as good as impossable.
What happens ?  When output on the screen reaches the bottomline and
the screen needs to scroll, it seems that FLOW CONTROL doesn't work
anymore. Parts of the information are damaged and other parts are placed
random on the screenline.
BTW. file_transfer still works because of the protocols.

Question:

Does anybody have a solution for this problem?
Or maybe you have a suggestions which points in that direction.
Please let me know !!!!

	Regards,
	F.H. van den Heuvel.

	mcvax!rivm!ccefhh			rivm!ccefhh@mcvax.uucp

jlfox@cisunx.UUCP (James L Fox) (10/07/88)

In article <1053@rivm05.UUCP>, ccefhh@rivm.UUCP (Frits v de heuvel) writes:
> We've got a problem with PC-Interface in cooperation with some
> communication programms.
Fritz is using Olivetti's and AT&T PC's with 3COM 3C501's and typical
COM1-2 cards running PC-Interface, PROCOMM, and KERMIT.

When he runs kermit he gets what appear to be flow control problems
resulting in a messed up screen display.

> BTW. file_transfer still works because of the protocols.
> Does anybody have a solution for this problem?

Thanks for posting this Fritz!  I don't have a solution to the
problem yet but I thought I'd post to add support to your belief
that something is awry.  I'm using an IBM-PC/XT with a 3COM 3C501
board running SUN's PC-NFS and kermit v2.30 and I'm experiencing alomost
identical symptoms to yours. I'm on a thinwire with a SUN 3 local host.

I've been giving our technicians grief getting them to play games
with my serial connection which is to a DEC-server.

I hope the SUN and 3COM people are "listening!"

--Jim Fox

romkey@asylum.UUCP (John Romkey) (10/08/88)

For the people who are having problems with Kermit and 3C501's: make
sure that the 3C501 is not using the same interrupt vectors as your
COM ports. COM1 uses interrupt 4; COM2 uses interrupt 3. Make sure the
3C501 isn't using 3 or 4 then. Interrupt 5 or 2 is probably safe,
depending on what other hardware you've got installed.
--
			- john romkey
UUCP: romkey@asylum.uucp		ARPA: romkey@xx.lcs.mit.edu

donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) (10/08/88)

> When he runs kermit he gets what appear to be flow control problems
> resulting in a messed up screen display.
> >
> > BTW. file_transfer still works because of the protocols.
> > Does anybody have a solution for this problem?

I have reproduced this type of problem again and again in the lab. What is
happening is fairly simple. While running a networking package with file
system support and a communications program using the RS-232 ports and
interrupt driven I/O data will get lost on the RS-232 link. This is a very
simple problem - the PC, under the DOS operating system, is simply not
capable of handling both high speed (ethernet or starlan) I/O and interrupt
driven serial port I/O at the same time. Too many portions of DOS turn off
interrupt processing and lost interrupts during this time show up at any
serial rate higher than 1200 on an 8mhz AT, worse with slower systems. Most
networking software and the file transfer protocols under terminal emulation
programs can recover from the lost data, but in terminal mode you WILL
lose data and it will be visually obvious. The answer is - turn of the
networking during critical terminal emulation functions or get an operating
system for the PC that handles these interrupts more gracefully (like
UNIX :-)) ). Sorry, but I think you're stuck with the problem :-( .

klein@lupine.UUCP (Doug Klein ) (10/11/88)

In article <956@asylum.UUCP>, romkey@asylum.UUCP (John Romkey) writes:

> For the people who are having problems with Kermit and 3C501's: make
> sure that the 3C501 is not using the same interrupt vectors as your
> COM ports. COM1 uses interrupt 4; COM2 uses interrupt 3. Make sure the
> 3C501 isn't using 3 or 4 then. Interrupt 5 or 2 is probably safe,
> depending on what other hardware you've got installed.

To change the int on the 3C501, move the jumper on the the card. (See the
manual). But if you do, you have to tell PC-Interface that you did this with
a run-string switch, '-x'. For example, changing the int to 5 means you should
change the cmd line for PCI to:

	pciinit -x13 -iAA.BB.CC.DD

(13 = 8 + 5).
--