[comp.dcom.modems] Comm problems w/ 3c501 & modem

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (10/07/88)

In article <13035@cisunx.UUCP> jlfox@cisunx.UUCP (James L Fox) writes:
>In article <1053@rivm05.UUCP>, ccefhh@rivm.UUCP (Frits v de heuvel) writes:
>> We've got a problem with PC-Interface in cooperation with some
>> communication programms.
>Fritz is using Olivetti's and AT&T PC's with 3COM 3C501's and typical
>COM1-2 cards running PC-Interface, PROCOMM, and KERMIT.

	i've had similar problems with a 3c503 card and a
	zuckermodem.  i solved it by setting the 3c503 card to
	use a different interrupt on my pc-at clone.  the interrupt
	is settable in your config.sys.  i'm not sure if the 3c501
	has a settable interrupt value, though...

srm@topaz.rutgers.edu (SRM) (10/12/88)

In article <1993@spdcc.COM> eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:

> In article <13035@cisunx.UUCP> jlfox@cisunx.UUCP (James L Fox) writes:
> >In article <1053@rivm05.UUCP>, ccefhh@rivm.UUCP (Frits v de heuvel) writes:
> >> We've got a problem with PC-Interface in cooperation with some
> >> communication programms.
> >Fritz is using Olivetti's and AT&T PC's with 3COM 3C501's and typical
> >COM1-2 cards running PC-Interface, PROCOMM, and KERMIT.
>
> 	i've had similar problems with a 3c503 card and a
> 	zuckermodem.  i solved it by setting the 3c503 card to
> 	use a different interrupt on my pc-at clone.  the interrupt
> 	is settable in your config.sys.  i'm not sure if the 3c501
> 	has a settable interrupt value, though...

The interrupts on a 3c501 are changeable.  The question is whether the
network drivers you are using can be changed to adapt to the change in
the card settings.  If you are using 3plus software then in the
config.sys file you'll find an line "device=eth.sys".  This line has
parameters to indicate the change in board settings. eg.
device=eth.sys 3 300 1 where 3 is the interrupt, 300 is the base i/o
address and 1 is the dma channel.  If you are using Novell Netware
2.0a you're probably out of luck unless someone knows of a patch for
the "anet3.com" file.  In Novell Netware 2.1x you can reconfigure the
"net3.com" shell to adapt to the board changes.

				Scott R. Myers