[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes 2400 trouble

haskins@s.cs.uiuc.edu (09/24/88)

I just got a Hayes 2400 external modem for use at home.  It works fine at
2400 baud, no noise or any other trouble, BUT when I use it at 1200 baud
on a couple UNIX machines here, I get lines and lines of garbage and
usually have to hang up.  It usually doesn't start util I've been online
for about 30 seconds.  I thought it was line noise, but with an anonymous
1200 baud internal modem, I NEVER get any noise, and with a TEAM 1200
external, I hardly get any.  I guess that my phone lines aren't
the cleanest in the world, but I don't know why it's the Hayes box that's
the worst of the lot.  I know it's between the modem and the phone company
because when I get the garbage, RD lights up with it.

I tried another Hayes 2400 external, but the same thing happened.  I even
tried CCITT as well as Bell.

I'm using PibTerm 4.1.3 with the same config file for each modem.  I hope
this doesn't mean I have to go to a cheaper modem (snicker).

Anybody else have this problem, or have any ideas?

Lloyd Haskins                  -- haskins@cs.uiuc.edu
Department of Computer Science -- University of Illinois

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (09/28/88)

What modems are you dialing on the other end?  Can you confirm that
your baud rates at both ends are within specification (-1.5% to +1%)?
I found a machine that had a baud rate slightly high (+1.2%), and it
worked with some very cheap modems but not very well with the
premium grade modems.  Fixing the baud rate clock solved our
problems.

			Mike Berger, U of Il. Dept. of Statistics
			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu

tboutell@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Thomas B Boutell) (10/09/88)

Your difficulties aren't unique. I've also seen the same problem on Hayes
2400 baud units; apparently the 1200 baud side of the box was neglected.
I ran a bulletin board for several years with a Racal- Vadic 1200, which
became known as the only system the Hayes 2400 users could contact at
1200 without receiving a mess. Perhaps Hayes only tested the unit against
100%- perfect equipment.

Sure enough, when I moved to another, reasonably reliable but not sterling
modem, the Hayes 2400 callers had problems once more.

I wouldn't be too quick to jump for another make of unit, though; I've
tried several 2400 baud off- brand units and been pretty much disgusted
with each. I've had particularly poor luck with the "DeskTalk 2400" from
Comark.

judy@moray.UUCP (Judy Scheltema) (10/09/88)

In article <2034@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> tboutell@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Thomas B Boutell) writes:
>Your difficulties aren't unique. I've also seen the same problem on Hayes
>2400 baud units; apparently the 1200 baud side of the box was neglected.

I also ran into the same problem when using my Hayes 2400 to call a 1200 baud
board. All I got was garbage. If I set the modem at 1200 baud *before*
initiating the call, everything was fine. One just could not call a 1200 baud
board with their modem starting out at 2400. I've also seen the instance when
using noisy lines a 2400 baud US Robotics falls back to 1200 and the Hayes
tries to connect with it at 1200 and again it's garbage. I suspect the Hayes
is falling back to 1200 CCITT rather than 1200 Bell 2.12a. (But that's a
guess.)

--
Judy Scheltema                |                     uunet!nuchat!moray!judy
                              |             cs.utexas.edu!uhnix1!moray!judy
Houston, Texas                |                  bellcore!tness1!moray!judy

haskins@s.cs.uiuc.edu (10/12/88)

I'm the original poster of the note on Hayes 2400 trouble at 1200 baud.
I've tried logging onto 1200 baud systems starting at both 1200 and at
2400 baud, and the results are the same.  I guess what was said earlier
about the 1200 baud section being picky and/or neglected may be true.
The modems I connect to at school have probably seen better days.

BTW, I've tried both using CCITT (or whatever it is, I don't have the
manual with me) and Bell, to no avail.  I haven't yet tried to communicate
with Hayes, which might be the right thing to do.

When I have the time.

Lloyd Haskins -- haskins@cs.uiuc.edu