[comp.dcom.modems] Why London wont handle over 1200 baud

hjohnso@hubcap.UUCP (Barry Johnson) (10/07/88)

   I think the problem is that the public-switched phone lines in London
do not have a high enough bandwidth to handle rates over 1200.  Its my
opinion anyway.  Anyone agree with me??

                              Barry Johnson
                              Clemson University CTS
                              CYCLIST@PRISM.CLEMNET

--
The Anonymous User
Internet:	anonymous@gatech.edu

paul@csnz.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (10/14/88)

In article <3167@hubcap.UUCP> hjohnso@hubcap.UUCP (Barry Johnson) writes:

>   I think the problem is that the public-switched phone lines in London
>do not have a high enough bandwidth to handle rates over 1200.  Its my
>opinion anyway.  Anyone agree with me??
>
>                              Barry Johnson

Sorry Barry,
	I don't agree.
	I have regularly called London FROM New Zealand, which is about
	as far away as you can get!

	I use a CCITT V22.bis modem, 2400 bps FDX asynch dial up via the
	PSTN, with no MNP or other fancy schemes.  Sometimes I have probs
	connecting at all, but when I do, I have run some quite long
	sessions with negligible line noise.  And if you were to
	have Trailblazers at both ends, you would see bps rates *MUCH*
	greater than 1200.

--
Paul Gillingwater --> Path: ...!uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul
Computer Sciences of New Zealand Ltd.  	Domain: paul@csnz.co.nz