[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit T1000?

david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) (10/05/88)

Has anyone heard anything detailed about the Telebit T1000?  Specifically
is it the same as the Trailblazer+?  Better?  Simplier?

I have just read in "Digital News" (Oct 3, p 31) about a T1000.  The specs
that it gives 9600bps/PEP/Kermit/Xmodem/Ymodem/UUCP support with
automatic speed adjustment and modulating schemes.  In other words
nothing obviously better than a Trailblazer+.  The interesting part
is that it quotes a retail price of $795, almost half of a trailblazer's
retail price.

--
	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov	  ARPA

chambers@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Curtis Chambers) (10/06/88)

In article <9930@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) writes:
>Has anyone heard anything detailed about the Telebit T1000?  Specifically
>is it the same as the Trailblazer+?  Better?  Simplier?

A press release in InfoWOrld said basically the same things with a couple
of other items...

At 2400 bps MNP Level 4 is used.
Modem measures 1.4"x7"x10".
A vertical stand (looks kinda 'cute') is available for $15 extra.

I noticed no mention of PEP 2 operation for 19,200 bps throughput - maybe
that's the reason for the price difference.  Anybody know for sure?  Looks
like a decent modem, wish I had more details.

In a related area, I saw a picture of a 'new' trailblazer plus with a
case that looks entirely different from the old one...from the picture in
the MICRO D flyer I am looking at it has a 'Macintosh Platinum' tint.  Did
this change just occur?

Curt Chambers           Mail: chambers@gumby.cs.wisc.edu
The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily
reflect those of the University Of Wisconsin System.

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (10/06/88)

In article <9930@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) writes:
>Has anyone heard anything detailed about the Telebit T1000?  Specifically
>is it the same as the Trailblazer+?  Better?  Simplier?
>
>I have just read in "Digital News" (Oct 3, p 31) about a T1000.  The specs
>that it gives 9600bps/PEP/Kermit/Xmodem/Ymodem/UUCP support with
>	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA

I was in the Telebit office and picked up the spec sheet on the T1000.

Basically, it is a slower speed modem, 9600 MAX, which can communicate
with a Trailblazer at the slower rate. The PEP protocol will adjust
so that they can communicate at the fastest rate they BOTH can support.
So a T1000 connected to a Trailblazer cannot exceed 9600. The way
it is worded implies that if the line could support the full Trailblazer
speed (19K?), it will be at 9600.

I don't recall if it supports dynamic 'compress/decompress' as the
Trailblazer can.
--
uucp:     {decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim        Jim Budler
internet: jim@eda.com                   EDA Systems, Inc.

steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett) (10/07/88)

In article <1813@puff.cs.wisc.edu> chambers@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Curtis Chambers) writes:
>In article <9930@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) writes:
>In a related area, I saw a picture of a 'new' trailblazer plus with a
>case that looks entirely different from the old one...from the picture in
>the MICRO D flyer I am looking at it has a 'Macintosh Platinum' tint.  Did
>this change just occur?

	Having seen quite a few Trailblazers recently, I was surprised when
ours showed up in the Mac-like Platinum (actually, it's more of a light-beige).
They look more "hi-tech" now (whatever that means :-).

	Just my $0.25 worth.

| Steve DeJarnett            | Smart Mailers -> steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU     |
| Computer Systems Lab       | Dumb Mailers  -> ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve |
| Cal Poly State Univ.       |------------------------------------------------|
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 | BITNET = Because Idiots Type NETwork           |

howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP ( WB3FFV) (10/12/88)

 I was just over at another companys site last week and there telebit is
completly different then the one's I recieved under the offer. My TB's are
in a dark colored metal box, and I am sure are the ones that most of us have.
The TB's that I saw were in a smaller (not much) light colored plastic case,
and had several switches on the front. A quick look at the modem's manuals
(YES manuals, the original book has been broken into several smaller ones),
revealed that it now supports SDLC which mine dosen't. I really didn't have
much of a chance to fiddle with the modem, but I sure hope that Telebit
will offer some kind of upgrade!!

UUCP/SMTP : howardl@wb3ffv		|	Howard D. Leadmon
PACKET    : WB3FFV @ W3ITM		|	Fast Computer Service, Inc.
IP Address: 44.60.0.1			|	P.O. Box  171
Telephone : (301)-335-2206		|	Chase, MD  21027-0171

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (10/17/88)

I haven't seen the T1000 yet, but the previous article probably
described the T2000.

We got several T2000s in July of '88.  The T2000s are roughly the
equivalent of the Trailblazer Plus with version 4 firmware in the
gray case.

The T2000s come with apparently the same firmware as the immdiate
predecessor TB+, as the AT&n gives the same version number.  SDLC
and data compression (in addition to the other PEP features) is
apparently a standard feature in the T2000.

... and yes, I do have to give them high marks for putting together
a lucid set of instruction manuals.  The register settings have
been broken off into a sparate booklet, while the setup information
and debugging have been expanded in detail.  The new manuals also
include a diskette that has a minimal telecom program that runs
under msdos.  It makes life a little easier, as the modem can be
personalized by plugging into a pc compatible before attaching to a
unix box.  It might be marginally easier than setting all the
registers up using cu.

We bought our T2000s via the Usenet incentive offer for $672.50US,
if memory strikes me right, that is at 50% discount, so that would
make the list price $1350.  There are conflicting reports as to
wheter the incentive program still exists.  We bought two modems on
September 29.  At that time, Tessie Opel (the uucp coordinator)
said that the deal was definitely dead at the end of September.

As far as I know, any older Trailblazer can be modernized to level
4 firmware for around $100.  It would be best to talk to Telebit
for exact details.

--Bill