[comp.dcom.modems] Looking for fax modems...

zab@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Zachary A. Bumpus) (10/13/88)

(I am posting this again as it appears not to have worked
 the first time. If you get it twice, sorry!)

I am looking for a fax modem and software to allow me to
send a single document to a arge list of recipients.  Unix
or MS-Dos based would be fine.  The best I've seen so far is
Lists of length 10.  Is there anything better?

	Thanks in advance
	Zack

Zachary A. Bumpus		Franklin Mortgage Capital Corp.
uunet!fciva!zab			7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A-130
(703)821-3244			McLean, VA 22102

richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) (10/14/88)

[ Fax with large mailing list ]

If you are willing to program a little bit, I would recommend JT Fax
internal. This is a half-sized card with good software. In general it
is very good value for money (see PC Magazine earlier this year), but
the great boon is you can send a Fax from the DOS command-line.

It would be easy to put out a Fax mailing direct from dBase with a
simple program. We use it as extention to our BBS, fully automated.

... talking about JT Fax:
    I read in the manual that there is also an external version.
    Does anybody have experience with this box? It is suppost to
    connect to a serial port. I want to connect it to a UNIX box,
    so I suppose I will have to rewrite the drivers. Is there
    enough technical documentation present do do this?

B.t.w. the best feature of JT Fax is the price, around $300.

Richard
(...!mcvax!neabbs!richard)

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (10/14/88)

In <430@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM> zab@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Zachary A. Bumpus) writes:
>I am looking for a fax modem and software to allow me to
>send a single document to a arge list of recipients.  Unix
>or MS-Dos based would be fine.  The best I've seen so far is
>Lists of length 10.  Is there anything better?

	one of the many fax boards on the market must do better than this!

	check the PC Mag review of a few months ago...
	a whole bunch of magazines came out with reviews & summaries
	about these boards, though no single magazine covered all of
	the different products available.

	have you checked out Gammafax, JT-Fax, Brooktrout Fax-Mail,
	or Panafax ???  some products can be controlled by DOS batch
	file as well, so there is no limit on the number of recipients...

	you aren't interested in junk-fax, are you !?!? (:

--

 -- Steve Elias, harvard!spdcc!eli

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (10/17/88)

In article <43929@neabbs.UUCP> richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) writes:

>If you are willing to program a little bit, I would recommend JT Fax
>internal. This is a half-sized card with good software. In general it
>is very good value for money (see PC Magazine earlier this year), but
>the great boon is you can send a Fax from the DOS command-line.
>
>... talking about JT Fax:
>    I read in the manual that there is also an external version.
>    Does anybody have experience with this box? It is suppost to
>    connect to a serial port. I want to connect it to a UNIX box,
>    so I suppose I will have to rewrite the drivers. Is there
>    enough technical documentation present do do this?

The JT Fax Portable will indeed allow us to create some Unix Fax software.
(And in faxt I'm doing so for a client right now!)

There are three main pieces of software required, ASCII->G3 conversion;
faxcico and a faxdriver to replace the normal serial driver.

It would be possible to use the normal serial driver with more code at the
user level at the expense of much higher overheads. The modems are not very
smart and you essentially have to poll them to find out what is happening.
You also have to be able to send/receive the equivalent of 4800 BPS
synchronous *without* missing anything. A little easier to ensure if you do
it in a driver rather than from a paged out user process.

Currently technical documentation for the beast does not exist.

Other than these small limitations it's a nice little box and it's going to
be fun to do the software.

Everex also sells an external fax modem, don't have any information on it.
Most likely it will be similar, *everyone* is using the Rockwell Fax Modem
chips :-)

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

pat@sys1.TANDY.COM (10/20/88)

Re: PC-based FAX distribution of single file to list

A smart FAX system like EZ-Fax from DEST lets you send from command line and
batch files AND from within applications -- merge document with FAX list then
output to LPT3 for conversion/transmission -- and list send utilities. It's
easy to set up delivery of one file to a list (I transmit a newsletter this
way weekly) but you trade the custom header possible with a merge routine for
efficiency (no repeated conversion of essentially same file to FAX format and
huge space savings by eliminating separate FAX files). At NetWorld a DEST rep
said they will soon offer software for personalized list distribution due to
popular demand.

pat@sys1