[comp.dcom.modems] Modems that reset when DTR is dropped

pete@ddsw1.UUCP (Peter Franks) (09/20/88)

I have common problem -- difficulty in setting up a bi-directional dialup.
I'm using an AT clone and an Arnet Smartport card with 8 ports under
Microport System V/AT using Microport's BNU (AKA HDB).

The problem is when the modem's responses are turned on, I get (I believe
it's called) a 'deadly embrace'.  If the responses are turned off (via
dipswitch) the port works fine as a dialup, but I can't get it to dial out
('cause of no responses).  If I have the Dialers script turn on the
resets the modem to the 'dipswitch' mode.  Thus, my question is:

	What modems will reset to the dipswitch (or EEPROM)
	parameters on a DTR drop?

I have a MultiTech 224AH and a USR Courier 2400, neither of which do (I
don't think).  I'm planning on getting a couple of TrailBlazers, which I
KNOW will do it, but I'd like to know what others will work, and maybe,
what I can do (modifications) to make the ones I have work that way.

Thanks.
--
-------------
Remember:

cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (09/21/88)

From article <1731@ddsw1.UUCP>, by pete@ddsw1.UUCP (Peter Franks):
> 	What modems will reset to the dipswitch (or EEPROM)
> 	parameters on a DTR drop?

The NEC 2400 (sold by Convergent as the DC2400) is supposed to be 'Hayes'
compatible.  The command AT&D3&W programs it to go back to the CMOS setups
when it sees an On to OFF transition on TR.

--
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM		(408) 435-5274
		...pyramid!ctnews!mitisft!professo!dold

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (09/21/88)

In article <721@starfish.Convergent.COM> cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
>From article <1731@ddsw1.UUCP>, by pete@ddsw1.UUCP (Peter Franks):
>> 	What modems will reset to the dipswitch (or EEPROM)
>> 	parameters on a DTR drop?

The Everex EMAC MD2400 offers several options for action on loss of DTR using
the AT&Dx command, where x is a number from 0 to 3 (I think).  Basically,
you can cause the modem to either totally ignore DTR (&D0);  to revert to
command mode (&D1); turn off auto-answer and revert to the previous settings,
re-enabling auto-answer on the next DTR high (&D2); or completely reset (&D3).
It doesn't have any EEPROM :-(

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::  Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director   :: System Operator, "The CallBoard"
:: Department of Theatre, SUNY Oswego  :: - Serving the performing arts -
:: Internet: ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU :: (315) 947-6414 300/1200/2400 baud 8N1
::        Voice: (315) 341-2987        :: UUCP ...sunybcs!oswego!cboard!ostroff
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Pierre Radley) (09/22/88)

The Practical Peripherals PM2400SA also tracks the DTR, and the command
AT&D3&W will cause it (quoting from the manual) to "assume the initializa-
tion state if it detects an 'on-to-off' DTR transition."
--

Time is nature's way of				Jean-Pierre Radley
making sure that everything			..!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!jpr

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/24/88)

The Anchor 2400E modems seem to be Hayes compatible enough to let
the Hayes Interbridge dial it.  I've been using one for a couple
of months now without a problem.  They are under $200 and even
come with a power switch and volume control (unusuall feature for
most modems).

-Ron

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (09/25/88)

In article <6592@dasys1.UUCP>, jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Pierre Radley) writes:

> The Practical Peripherals PM2400SA also tracks the DTR, and the command
> AT&D3&W will cause it (quoting from the manual) to "assume the initializa-
> tion state if it detects an 'on-to-off' DTR transition."

Actually, almost any Hayes-compatible modem will accept this.
--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
Tel: +46 758-202 50   Fax: +46 758-197 20

pete@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peter Franks) (09/26/88)

In article <318@pvab.UUCP> robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:
>> [information about Prattical Peripherals modem reseting on DTR drop,
>>  response to '&' commands, etc.]
>
>Actually, almost any Hayes-compatible modem will accept this.

This is not true!!  From what I have seen, MOST Hayes-compatible modems
aren't!  Oh, they will accept most Hayes 'AT' commands, but they don't have
non-volatile memory, and thus won't accept the '&' commands, nor will they
reset upon DTR drop.

This is why I posted the original article - the modems I have access to don't
have non-volatile memory, nor do they reset upon DTR drop.  They are the [old
version] MultiTech 224AH and a USR Courier 2400 [also old].  I do not know
whether the newer versions of those modems have the needed features or not.

I appreciate all the answers [via email] that I got, but they all basically
said the same thing - use the &D3 command.

I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't!

So, to reiterate the major question [and to restate it a bit]:

	What "Hayes compatible" modems have non-volatile memory
	and will (if desired) reset to the conditions stored in
	that non-volatile memory upon DTR drop?

Thanks again.
--
-------------

les@chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) (09/27/88)

In article <318@pvab.UUCP> robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:

 >> The Practical Peripherals PM2400SA also tracks the DTR, and the command
 >> AT&D3&W will cause it (quoting from the manual) to "assume the initializa-
 >> tion state if it detects an 'on-to-off' DTR transition."

>Actually, almost any Hayes-compatible modem will accept this.

But many (most/all?) 2400 baud hayes-compatibles will not drop the line
before completing a call if you give a dialing command and then drop
DTR.  Also, after doing this, the modem has an error message that it
will store until DTR is on again, so the next attempt to dial is likely
to fail.  Do any modems handle this right?

Les Mikesell

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (09/29/88)

In article <6662@chinet.UUCP>, les@chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

> But many (most/all?) 2400 baud hayes-compatibles will not drop the line
> before completing a call if you give a dialing command and then drop
> DTR.  Also, after doing this, the modem has an error message that it
> will store until DTR is on again, so the next attempt to dial is likely
> to fail.  Do any modems handle this right?

My Microcom AX/2424c seems to handle this right. But I haven't tried
it much, so I cannot say for sure. BTW, I have the CCITT version of that
modem (no Bell protocols).
--

cpt.k9@netmbx.UUCP (Bob George) (10/02/88)

In article <1779@ddsw1.MCS.COM> pete@ddsw1.UUCP (Peter Franks) writes:
>So, to reiterate the major question [and to restate it a bit]:
>
>	What "Hayes compatible" modems have non-volatile memory
>	and will (if desired) reset to the conditions stored in
>	that non-volatile memory upon DTR drop?

Sorry for coming in on this in the midst of a discussion, but I can
say from experience that the Prometheus Promodem 2400G will meet this
requirement. I picked one up recently for about $180.00, and it works
well.

To quote the manual:
"AT&D  Data Terminal Ready (DTR) options
		 D0 - The Promodem ignores DTR
		 D1 - Assumes command state with on-to-off transition
		 D2 - Modem goes on-hook, assumes command state and disables
				auto answer with on-to-off transition
		*D3 - Modem executes initialization routine*"

Note: I have no association with Prometheus other than as a satisfied buyer.

				 I hope this is what you're after!

				  Bob
--
Bob George, Unter den Eichen 97, 1000 Berlin 45, W. Germany
cpt.k9@netmbx.UUCP                  Tel: (049-030) 832-8319

tboutell@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Thomas B Boutell) (10/10/88)

That's not quite true. Many Hayes- compatible modems will reset entirely
when DTR is toggled, but the correct response is merely to break the
connection and go into command mode. The reinitialization is a nuisance
which forces most programs to tediously resend any setup commands they
had already communicated to the modem after each call.

-Tom

pete@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peter Franks) (10/11/88)

In article <2047@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> tboutell@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Thomas B Boutell) writes:
>That's not quite true. Many Hayes- compatible modems will reset entirely

What's not quite true??

>when DTR is toggled, but the correct response is merely to break the
>connection and go into command mode. The reinitialization is a nuisance
>which forces most programs to tediously resend any setup commands they
>had already communicated to the modem after each call.

The 'correct response'???  The 'correct response' for who?  You, maybe, but
not for me!!  This entire thread was started to find modems which perform a
certain function in order to do a certain job - to reset when DTR is dropped
so that they (the modems) can be used on a bi-directional port in a UNIX
system.

The fact that you find said reinitialization to be a 'nuisance' is one
reason that that function is configurable, but it it, in the context of this
thread, TOTALLY irrelevant!!

--

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (10/11/88)

# Many Hayes-compatible modems will reset entirely when DTR is toggled, but
# the correct response is merely to break the connection and go into command
# mode.

Correct?  I assure you that getty(8m) does not want to talk to a Hayes modem
while in command mode.  The "correct" thing in that case is to go into E0Q1,
which will often not be the case if UUCICO just got done making an outgoing
call.  UUCP doesn't usually have a way to reinit the modem to user preferences
when a call is complete; it's darned handy if the modem will do it for you.

On a Telebit, I can get this behaviour.  On a Hayes 1200, I can get it.  On
a Hayes 2400, I can get most of it.  On other modems, I've had some serious
problems.  The Anchor Signalman XII doesn't even connect DTR to anything
internally (hah! solved that one with a reed relay that shut off the power
to the modem when DTR was down!).
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Michael H. Warfield) (10/22/88)

In article <2047@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> tboutell@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Thomas B Boutell) writes:
>That's not quite true. Many Hayes- compatible modems will reset entirely
>when DTR is toggled, but the correct response is merely to break the
>connection and go into command mode. The reinitialization is a nuisance
>which forces most programs to tediously resend any setup commands they
>had already communicated to the modem after each call.

     Many of these modems (including the real McCoy V series Hayes) have an
option on the DTR action (&Dn).  A setting of &D3 on most of these modems
sets them up to reset on a true to false transition of DTR.  That resets it to
the settings in the non-volatile memory.  All modems at my site are configured
this way.  This site uses dozens of modems at speeds from 1200 through 9600
baud (including both Hayes 9600 and Telebit Trailblazer).  Any register setup
commands which are always used should be loaded into non-volatile memory.
The ability to reset the modem back to a known state by dropping DTR is an
extreme blessing where the modems are shared amoung any number of applications.
Auto-answer mode in particular can create a bad
situation if the controlling process does nothing "overt" to reset the modem
after a connection terminates.
Some modems will not work reliably if not reset this way.  An example is most
2400 baud modems, after being used at 1200 baud, will answer the next dial
in call at 1200 baud if they are not reset.  If the calling party is expecting
2400 baud, and the modems lock in at 1200, he's up the creek!

     I don't quite see your point when you remark that reinitialization
is a "nuisance" and resending the command is "tedious".  If the program is not
sending the initialization sequence the modem needs it must be depending on
the modem to be in a particular state.  If thats the case, I hope you get
some GOOD modems.  Most modem handling programs generally start out their
initialization sequence with ATZ (can we say reset?).  Since programs rarely
get annoyed ( annoying yes, annoyed no :-) )  and the programmer had to
enter an explicit initialization string into the program to begin with ( unless
he's a braver soul than this sysadmin ) the term nuisance hardly applies.  As
far as tedious is concern, even several separate commands and responses
can hardly take more than a split second and programs get tired even less often
than they get annoyed.  The point is only marginally valid if the commands
are being entered interactively but even in that case I have yet to find
a modem I really trust after having DTR dropped.

Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!

terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) (10/22/88)

In article <2047@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, tboutell@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Thomas B Boutell) writes:
> That's not quite true. Many Hayes- compatible modems will reset entirely
> when DTR is toggled, but the correct response is merely to break the
> connection and go into command mode. The reinitialization is a nuisance
> which forces most programs to tediously resend any setup commands they
> had already communicated to the modem after each call.

Wrongo Tom.  A Hayes modem can be set to reset on DTR drop.  This is the
correct usage on a UNIX system.  The correct response, obviating a
"tedious resend", is to do this.  If a modem can't do this, it has no
business calling itself "Hayes compatable"... it doesn't implement all
features in the same way as Hayes does, so it is not.

An interesting observation to make is which Hayes modem one is talking
about... if the Hayes 1200 or 1200b is "the standard", then a Hayes 2400
is not Hayes compatable, as it does not implement ATF0.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 } ...utah-cs!century!terry |
| @ Century Software        OR: ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
|                   'I have an eight user poetic liscence' - me               |