[comp.dcom.modems] Ven-Tel Pathfinder 18K

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan Chang) (10/10/88)

[Line to be sacrificed to the Line-Eater God]

	I just noticed an ad in the new issue of PC Mag (Oct 11th).
There's an ad for the Ven-Tel Pathfinder 18K which claims the PF 18K will
get up to 18,000 bps w/o data compression.  And also that it'll have speed
fallbacks in 100 bps increments.  Now, does this sound like a TrailBlazer?
My question is: will this thing be compatible w/TB?  There's no mention of
the TB anywhere in the ad...
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (10/19/88)

In <2481@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan Chang) wrote:

> [ Ven-Tel Pathfinder 18K ]

> My question is: will this thing be compatible w/TB?  There's no mention of
> the TB anywhere in the ad...

It sounds like the one.  Ventel does make a PEP modem that will talk
to the TB+ just fine.  A uucp neighbor tried one out for a while and
it talked to my TB+ without incident.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen      james@bigtex.cactus.org      "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 338-8789       9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759

steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett) (10/20/88)

In article <2481@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan Chang) writes:
>	I just noticed an ad in the new issue of PC Mag (Oct 11th).
>There's an ad for the Ven-Tel Pathfinder 18K which claims the PF 18K will
>get up to 18,000 bps w/o data compression.  And also that it'll have speed
>fallbacks in 100 bps increments.  Now, does this sound like a TrailBlazer?
>My question is: will this thing be compatible w/TB?  There's no mention of
>the TB anywhere in the ad...

	We had a demo version about 3 months ago.  These modems come in the
same size package as all other VenTel 1200/2400 baud modems.  They DO work
with Trailblazers (after wading through the manual, I finally found the part
that says that it does implement the PEP protocol).  We had the loaner hooked
up and "'blazing" away in about 15 minutes.  It connect perfectly with 2
different Trailblazers and seemed to work just fine.

	Basically, from what I can see, it's a Trailblazer clone. Note:  even
the names are basically the same:

	Trail = Path
	Blazer ~= Finder

We eventually bought a TB+, but the decision was based on the USENET offer from
TB, not from any dissatisfaction with the VenTel.

| Steve DeJarnett            | Smart Mailers -> steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU     |
| Computer Systems Lab       | Dumb Mailers  -> ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve |
| Cal Poly State Univ.       |------------------------------------------------|
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 | BITNET = Because Idiots Type NETwork           |

And a quick answer: I have "heard" that both Ven-Tel (San Jose, CA) and
DCA (Atlanta, GA) have licensed Telebit's TrailBlazer technology; this
implies (to me) these are "second sources" of the Telebit TrailBlazer.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (10/21/88)

In article <2481@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan Chang) writes:

> 	I just noticed an ad in the new issue of PC Mag (Oct 11th).
> There's an ad for the Ven-Tel Pathfinder 18K which claims the PF 18K will
> get up to 18,000 bps w/o data compression.  And also that it'll have speed
> fallbacks in 100 bps increments.  Now, does this sound like a TrailBlazer?

Ventel, I believe, did license PEP from Telebit. Their modems will talk
to Telebits, but I don't remember if they incorporate the 'Blazer's UUCP
spoofing.

> Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
--
Evan Leibovitch, SA of System Telly                If Jesus was a Jew
Located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario, Canada        how come he had

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (10/21/88)

In article <10247@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>And a quick answer: I have "heard" that both Ven-Tel (San Jose, CA) and
>DCA (Atlanta, GA) have licensed Telebit's TrailBlazer technology; this
>implies (to me) these are "second sources" of the Telebit TrailBlazer.

DCA was offfering the Telebit almost from the beginning as the 'DCA Fastlink'.
In point of fact, their re-labeled product was the first exposure I had to
the PEP-based modem.
						Bob Halloran
UUCP: att!mtune!rkh				Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: 17 Lakeland Dr, Port Monmouth NJ 07758	DDD: 201-495-6621 eve ET
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "History is made at night.  Character is what you are in the dark!"
  - Dr. Lizardo, "Buckaroo Banzai"
--

jeff@gatech.edu (Jeff Lee) (10/22/88)

In article <10247@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>DCA (Atlanta, GA) have licensed Telebit's TrailBlazer technology; this

They had licensed it and sold a relabeled TrailBlazer, but I talked to one of
their employees recently (April) and he said that they had decided to quit
selling them. Seems like they are getting out right when things are getting
good, but what do I know?
--
Jeff Lee	c/o School of ICS / 225 North Ave. / Atlanta, Ga. 30332
Internet:	jeff@gatech.edu postmaster@gatech.edu news@gatech.edu

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (10/23/88)

In article <10247@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>And a quick answer: I have "heard" that both Ven-Tel (San Jose, CA) and
>DCA (Atlanta, GA) have licensed Telebit's TrailBlazer technology; this
>implies (to me) these are "second sources" of the Telebit TrailBlazer.

Not sure about DCA, though I've heard that several companies have
licensed PEP from Telebit, including Ven-Tel.  I'm sure that Telebit
is making sure they all talk the same PEP protocol but ... do they
also do the uucp spoofing?  Without that ability, the other modems
are a lot less interesting.

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	{gatech!emoryu1,uunet!dasys1}!ditka!kls
1-505/667-2402 (work)	|ARPA	rt1!ditka!kls@hc.dspo.gov

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (10/24/88)

In <389@telly.UUCP>, evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) wrote:

> Ventel, I believe, did license PEP from Telebit. Their modems will talk
> to Telebits, but I don't remember if they incorporate the 'Blazer's UUCP
> spoofing.

Yes they did, and yes they do.
--

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (10/24/88)

In article <7865@mtune.ATT.COM>, rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) writes:
> In article <10247@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> >And a quick answer: I have "heard" that both Ven-Tel (San Jose, CA) and
> >DCA (Atlanta, GA) have licensed Telebit's TrailBlazer technology; this
> >implies (to me) these are "second sources" of the Telebit TrailBlazer.
>
> DCA was offfering the Telebit almost from the beginning as the 'DCA Fastlink'.
> In point of fact, their re-labeled product was the first exposure I had to
> the PEP-based modem.

The Fastlink is no long available, at least from the division of DCA
that I used to deal with.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	uunet!attcan!lsuc!ncrcan!ontenv!soley	VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623