[comp.dcom.modems] USRobotics SPORTER 2400

sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) (10/19/88)

Does anyone who has an USRobotics SPORTSTER 2400 has any trouble
using it?  I currently have 2, one internal and one external, both
have a very strange behavior.  A continuous strems of data is
being received; like}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
non-stop.  Does this happened to anyone?  Both modems are brand new.
Any information will be helpful.

						SJF Lim.

banderso@sagpd1.UUCP (Bruce Anderson) (10/25/88)

In article <9181@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) writes:

>Does anyone who has an USRobotics SPORTSTER 2400 has any trouble
>using it?  I currently have 2, one internal and one external, both
>have a very strange behavior.  A continuous strems of data is
>being received; like}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
>non-stop.  Does this happened to anyone?  Both modems are brand new.
>Any information will be helpful.

I have a Sportster 2400 external and while I haven't seen this exact
problem I have seen similar problems. In fact I've seen enough problems
to be convinced that this modem is a total piece of junk and should be
avoided like the plague.

I've had mine for about 6 months now and it's had to go back for
repair three times already and last night when I tried to use it
I found that it no longer detected the carrier when I called
another modem.  I suspect that this time I'm not even going to
bother sending it back for repair because I'll only get another
couple of weeks of use out of it before it breaks again (after
waiting 4-5 weeks to get it back from USR) and it's just not
worth it.

		Bruce Anderson
		...ncr-sd!sagpd1!banderso

Since I don't know what my employers opinions are these must all
be mine.