[comp.dcom.modems] Wanted: SLIP oer 9600-baud modems -- Ultrix 2.x/4.3bsd

D. Allen [CGL]) (10/09/88)

In article <166@tunscs.UUCP> jost@tunscs.UUCP (Allan Jost) writes:
> Has anyone successfully installed and used SLIP under Ultrix?

I managed to get SLIP working using direct-connected Trailblazer modems
at 19200 bps between two VaxStation 2000 Ultrix 2.0 systems using some
4.3bsd SLIP source from the net, slightly modified to compile and fit
into our Ultrix binary distribution.  Interactive response (via rlogin
over the SLIP line) was abysmal.  Bulk data transfer (via rcp) was not
bad for large files.  I was going to test interactive response with
data compression mode off, to see if that helped, but I haven't done
that yet.  Ultrix 2.4 seems to have a much nicer dial-up SLIP
capability via an /etc/sliphosts file and login accounts that run
/etc/slattach.  Haven't tried that yet.
--
        -IAN!  (Ian! D. Allen)      University of Waterloo

parker@waters.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) (10/27/88)

In article <6217@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
> I managed to get SLIP working using direct-connected Trailblazer modems
> at 19200 bps between two VaxStation 2000 Ultrix 2.0 systems using some
> 4.3bsd SLIP source from the net, slightly modified to compile and fit
> into our Ultrix binary distribution.

I'd appreciate knowing what modifications you made to the SLIP source to
get things to work... I have slip compiling properly, but an slattach
produces the error message:

ioctl(TIOCSETD): No such device

Have I simply forgotten something in the kernel configuration, or does
the code need to be changed?

Thanks,

Ross Parker      uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker       |
Microtel Pacific Research Ltd.			| You can't erase the dream,
Burnaby, B.C.,					| you can only wake me up...
Canada, eh?					|