[comp.dcom.modems] Stupid Modems

daveb@geaclib.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (10/28/88)

  I'd like a recommendation or two for a rara avis: a really stupid
modem.  What I want, you see, is something to attach permanently to
a sun fileserver on a customer site , to gather dust and not ever be
used until something goes wrong and I have to dial in and fix the
poor little computer...
  At a local user group meeting, one person described a line-powered
minature modem, which he described as follows...

    "We told the customers they were a telephone adapter, since the
     phone line has these little bitty snap-connectors and the
     computers have 25-pin plugs and sockets"

  This sounded very much like what I was interested in, subject to
the usual problems of a non-technical office:
    dust
    physical damage (cleaners tripping over things)
    office phone systems (6-pin jacks)
    users

  Suggestions? Ads? War stories?  All information gratefully
accepted.  Ps: speed is not too important: I still own an old
modem that will slow down to 300 baud if cajoled.

--dave

--
 David Collier-Brown.  | yunexus!lethe!dave
 Interleaf Canada Inc. |

walt@sixwbn.UUCP (Walt Novinger) (10/31/88)

In article <3366@geaclib.UUCP> daveb@geaclib.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) writes:

>  I'd like a recommendation or two for a rara avis: a really stupid
>modem.  What I want, you see, is something to attach permanently to
>a sun fileserver on a customer site , to gather dust and not ever be
>used until something goes wrong and I have to dial in and fix the
>poor little computer...
>
>  Suggestions? Ads? War stories?  All information gratefully
>accepted.

You might try the Migent Pocket Modem.  This little jewel accepts the
Hayes command set (e.g. you can set it to auto-answer with "ATS0=1")
and does 300/1200 baud.

It plugs directly into the modem port on a PC (should work fine on a Sun,
but may require a null modem adapter) and uses either an internal 9V
battery or a small power supply from the wall.

I have used one of these for nearly a year with my laptop, and have found
it to be reliable and very tolerant of poor lines.

I bought mine at Egghead software for about $150 -- they are less expensive
now, I believe.  You can contact Migent directly at:

	MIGENT, Inc.
	865 Tahoe Blvd.
	PO Box 6062
	Incline Village, NV 89450