[comp.dcom.modems] Low speed and Telebit modems

dlr@daver.UUCP (Dave Rand) (11/11/88)

Has anyone (else) had problems with connections to Telebits,
when calling at low speed? I have heard reports of problems
at 1200 bps, when calling into a Telebit. Recently, I have
had a great deal of problems with another site calling into
my Telebits at 2400 bps - no files longer than a few K would
transfer.

Thanks much!

--
Dave Rand
{pyramid|hoptoad|sun|vsi1}!daver!dlr

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (11/11/88)

In article <7307@daver.UUCP> dlr@daver.UUCP (Dave Rand) writes:
>Has anyone (else) had problems with connections to Telebits,
>when calling at low speed? I have heard reports of problems
>at 1200 bps, when calling into a Telebit. Recently, I have
>had a great deal of problems with another site calling into
>my Telebits at 2400 bps - no files longer than a few K would
>transfer.

I wonder...  I was going to post on a similar problem.  Maybe they're
related.

I talk to a site that has severe input speed problems.  They are unable
to receive and process uucp packets faster than about 150 cps during the
day.  The TB buffers about 10K of packets, so the time between when my
system sends the last packet of a news batch and when the "CY" aknowledging
complete reception is consistently over 70 seconds; greater than the
timeout in my uucp.  The problem didn't occur with the X. files or with
short mail messages, since the buffer never filled.

The solution I implemented was to increase the timeout value to about
120 seconds.  A better solution would be the ability to select the
buffer size in the TB; something I requested back when RLS posted his
"what would you like to see" article.

Btw, the way to tell if this is happening to you is if you see a lot
of failures of the "expected C, got FAIL" type.

--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb%vsi1.uucp@ames.arc.nasa.gov

mrm@sceard.UUCP (M.R.Murphy) (11/11/88)

In article <1205@vsi1.UUCP> lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) writes:
|In article <7307@daver.UUCP> dlr@daver.UUCP (Dave Rand) writes:
|>Has anyone (else) had problems with connections to Telebits,
|>when calling at low speed? I have heard reports of problems
|>at 1200 bps, when calling into a Telebit. Recently, I have
|>had a great deal of problems with another site calling into
|>my Telebits at 2400 bps - no files longer than a few K would
|>transfer.
|
|I wonder...  I was going to post on a similar problem.  Maybe they're
|related.
|
|I talk to a site that has severe input speed problems.  They are unable
|to receive and process uucp packets faster than about 150 cps during the
|day.  The TB buffers about 10K of packets, so the time between when my
|system sends the last packet of a news batch and when the "CY" aknowledging
|complete reception is consistently over 70 seconds; greater than the
|timeout in my uucp.  The problem didn't occur with the X. files or with
|short mail messages, since the buffer never filled.
|
|The solution I implemented was to increase the timeout value to about
|120 seconds.  A better solution would be the ability to select the
|buffer size in the TB; something I requested back when RLS posted his
|"what would you like to see" article.

|Btw, the way to tell if this is happening to you is if you see a lot
|of failures of the "expected C, got FAIL" type.

|--
|Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb%vsi1.uucp@ames.arc.nasa.gov

Another problem can be flow control. I set up the tb with no flow control
and a locked interface speed and let uucp handle the flow. I'll be
happy to email register settings, but they're too boring to post.
--
Mike Murphy  Sceard Systems, Inc.  544 South Pacific St.  San Marcos, CA  92069
UUCP: {nosc,ucsd}!sceard!mrm     INTERNET: mrm%sceard.UUCP@ucsd.ucsd.edu

phile@lgnp1.MASA.COM (Phil Eschallier) (11/12/88)

In article <1205@vsi1.UUCP>, lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) writes:
> In article <7307@daver.UUCP> dlr@daver.UUCP (Dave Rand) writes:
> >Has anyone (else) had problems with connections to Telebits,
> >when calling at low speed? I have heard reports of problems
> >at 1200 bps, when calling into a Telebit. Recently, I have
> >had a great deal of problems with another site calling into
> >my Telebits at 2400 bps - no files longer than a few K would
> >transfer.
>
> I wonder...  I was going to post on a similar problem.  Maybe they're
> related.

i don't know if this will help or the question is deeper then i am
reading but when i first got my tb+ a few months ago ... i figured
the best way to go was to lock the tty port at 9600 (my current
serial cards barfs at 19200) by setting S66=1 and let the modem
autobaud.  this worked quite well at FAST speed but died when doing
data transfer at 2400/1200/300 baud!  what i did was to always have
S66=0 and let the local system talk to tb+ at the appropriate speed
(ie: when the modem was connected at 1200 baud, the machine talked to
the modem at 1200 baud).  i have had absolutely no problems since then.

phil eschallier
phile@lgnp1

(Sorry -- no fancy signature today!)

lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) (11/15/88)

In article <1205@vsi1.UUCP> lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) writes:
>In article <7307@daver.UUCP> dlr@daver.UUCP (Dave Rand) writes:
>> (description of problems at 1200/2400 baud)
>
> (other stuff deleted)
>
>A better solution would be the ability to select the
>buffer size in the TB; something I requested back when RLS posted his
>"what would you like to see" article.
>Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb%vsi1.uucp@ames.arc.nasa.gov

In fact this also happens here.  I would also like to see something
(perhaps automatic) cutting down on buffer sizes when the link
speed is low.  I beleive that is the problem with using the TB's and
a popular networking program... I think it sends a packet into the buffer,
expecting that the receiver gets it immediately, and
times out before getting an ACK.

How about it Telebit, is there a way to shut off the buffer?

--
	"What is a DJ if he can't scratch?"  - Uncle Jamms Army
The views expressed are those of the author, and not of Visual Edge, nor Usenet.