[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit Trailblazers & non-UUCP applications

rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) (11/15/88)

In article <1250@nusdhub.UUCP>, rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) writes:
[ much stuff deleted here ]
> like $1000 for a PEP vs. $650 for a V.32.  If your protocol is not
> spoofed you dont even get 9600 out of a PEP.  Sometimes it is
> suprisingly less than 9600!
[ more stuff deleted here]

> My only real value judgment on the subject was that buying one now (IF
> YOU INTEND TO USE IT FOR ANY PROTOCOL IT DOES NOT SPOOF, OR WHICH MAY
> BE EXPANDED IN THE NEAR FUTURE (like uucp)) would be a mistake.

There are people at this site who are using Telebit Trailblazers for
interactive use between a terminal at home and a cluster of VMS vaxen.
Typical throughput for this NO PROTOCOL application is about 14Kbps.
The phone lines that carry the call are notoriously bad about noise or
the typical throughput might be slightly higher  ( I wish that Bell
Atlantic were our phone company, but they aren't.)

I decline to get into whether V.32 is better than PEP.  I did think that
it was important to inject the fact of what experience here has been in
the hope that people not be misled by the claims that Telebit modems are
only fast because of protocol spoofing.  They are fast in their own right.

         rja@edison.GE.COM      or      ...uunet!virginia!edison!rja
     via Internet (preferable)          via uucp  (if you must)
The views are the author's, not necessarily those of GE, Fanuc, or GE-Fanuc.