[comp.dcom.modems] Modem speed fallback

ebh@argon.UUCP (Ed Horch) (11/18/88)

In article <1988Nov14.160325.13815@ateng.ateng.com> chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan):
>  [Complaining because of modem fallback from 2400 to 1200 on uunet call]
>>Now, if I get dumped onto a 1200 baud line (or worse, a 300 baud
>>line!), I'd prefer that uucico forget it, than double the transfer fee.
>>If anything, this should be an S-register option.
>
>Read The Friendly Manual.  It *is* an S-register option.
>[...]
>Assigning zero to S34 inhibits automatic fallback to 1200.

Some modems, like the Smart One 2400X, don't have an S34 register at
all.  The only thing I've been able to do (in System V HDB) is put the
modem in verbose mode, and expect a CONNECT 2400 message in the
Dialers script.  If I don't get it, the script fails, and it falls
through to a separate line in my Systems file for the same destination
at 1200.  The bad news here is that it has to make two separate calls.

If your problem is that you don't want to transfer at 1200 at all,
then leave off the second Systems entry.

-Ed