[comp.dcom.modems] Practical Peripherals 2400SA modem - Evaluation and question

GDAU100@BGUVM.BITNET ("Jonathan B. Owen") (11/16/88)

Date:         Mon, 14 Nov 88 19:51:24 IST
From:         "Jonathan B. Owen" <GDAU100@BGUVM>
Subject:      Practical Peripherals 2400SA
To:           INFO-MODEMS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
I have owned a Practical Peripheral 1200SA modem for almost a year.
I have had no problems with it.  It's main shortcoming is the lack
of sensing the progress of a call (i.e. BUSY, DIAL TONE...).

I have now received my 2400SA.  Is does have line sensing capabily.
Strangly, the 2400SA manual does not summerize in a table a list of all
commands for quick reference.  As far as I am concerned, this is a great
difficiency.

Also, it has only 4 non-volatile memories for phone numbers as opposed
to 10 on the 1200SA, and no "on-line" help (i.e. list of commands by
typing "a?" in command mode).

Finally, the ATM command (Speaker control) does not seem to work.  By
typing ATM2 the speaker should stay on at all times, but alas, does not.
Has anyone else encountered this?

All in all, I recommend the above modems very much.  They are quite cheep,
function well, and come with a 5 year garranty.

                                                JB
  (--)    /--)     /-(\                 Email: gdau100@bguvm (bitnet)
  \ /    /--K      | \|/\   /\/) /|-\   Snail: 55 Hovevei Zion
  _/_/o /L__)_/o \/\__/  \X/  \_/ | |_/        Tel-Aviv, 63346  ISRAEL
 (/        Jonathan B. Owen             Voice: (03) 281-422

 Point of view:  A chicken is the means by which an egg reproduces an egg.

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (11/22/88)

In article <8811161356.AA19233@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> GDAU100@BGUVM.BITNET ("Jonathan B. Owen") writes:
>Finally, the ATM command (Speaker control) does not seem to work.  By
>typing ATM2 the speaker should stay on at all times, but alas, does not.
>Has anyone else encountered this?

I have had Practical Peripherals 2400 modems for almost a year. I tried
"ATM2" today for the first time. It does what it should, and the speaker
stays on throughout my connection to a remote system. But it's quite
annoying to listen to, so why do you write that "alas", yours does not?

--
Jean-Pierre Radley		Honi soit		jpr@dasys1.UUCP
New York, New York		qui mal			...!hombre!jpradley!jpr