[comp.dcom.modems] Practical Peripherals 2400SA modem - Evaluation and questi

8b@cup.portal.com (S Spencer Sun) (11/27/88)

WHy would you want to store numbers in NVRAM anyway? Just use a terminal
program...then you get macros and such...

I have had a 2400SA for almost a year now and am very satsfied. It has
definitely lived up to it's claim of 100% HAyes compatibility. No problems
here...

Egghead has very good prcies on them too...

mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) (11/29/88)

In article <11799@cup.portal.com> 8b@cup.portal.com (S Spencer Sun) writes:

>I have had a 2400SA for almost a year now and am very satsfied. It has
>definitely lived up to it's claim of 100% HAyes compatibility. No problems
>here...

     This is just in counter-point to the above.

     We have several 2400SA's around here.  All are currently in use for PC
type interactive operations (plus a little procomm now and again).  I tried
using one on our news engine "galbp" for uucp news (actually I tried
several only one at a time).  For continuous duty call-in at several Meg
per day (I'm an intermediate node with several downstream and lateral feeds)
the modem was worthless.  It would rarely, if ever, make it through 24 hours
of operation without manual intervention (as in turn power off and back on
again).  Of all of the modems I tested, the 2400SA and the INCOMM 2400
slugged it out for worst place.  The system "galbp" is a masscomp 5600, if that
matters at all.  The 2400SA's have performed very well when connected up to PC's
but then they are only on for a few hours a day and then with very light loads.
I am also using a 2400SA for my own use, but again, only for light interactive
work.  They also seem to do better in call-out service that call-in service
(only go brain dead every couple of days).  This may perhaps be because
my dialer always starts out ATZ.

---
Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (11/30/88)

In article <11799@cup.portal.com> 8b@cup.portal.com (S Spencer Sun) writes:
>WHy would you want to store numbers in NVRAM anyway? Just use a terminal
>program...then you get macros and such...

Let me guess:  you're a PC person.  What if someone has a real terminal?
If I had long numbers I often dialed on this sun, I'd stick numbers into
nvram, because I abhor tip.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, or my 11/34)