[comp.dcom.modems] Practical Peripherals 2400SA - Evaluation

GDAU100@BGUVM.BITNET ("Jonathan B. Owen") (11/29/88)

Spencer Sun asks what the point is of storing telephone numbers in the
modem's Non-Volatile RAM.  There is no point, if you don't plan to
carry it around with you and hook it up to various computers.

As I wrote before, I recomment this 100% Hayes Compatible modem very much.
I would say that you really get your money's worth, but since it is so
cheap, that would be contrary to my recommendation!

P.S. Are all you 2400SA owners satisfied with it's manual?
  (--)    /--)     /-(\                 Email: gdau100@bguvm (bitnet)
  \ /    /--K      | \|/\   /\/) /|-\   Snail: 55 Hovevei Zion
  _/_/o /L__)_/o \/\__/  \X/  \_/ | |_/        Tel-Aviv, 63346  ISRAEL
 (/        Jonathan B. Owen             Voice: (03) 281-422

 Point of view:  A chicken is the means by which an egg reproduces an egg.

bfbreedl@sactoh0.UUCP (Bob F. Breedlove) (11/29/88)

In article <8811282004.AA13418@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, GDAU100@BGUVM.BITNET ("Jonathan B. Owen") writes:

> P.S. Are all you 2400SA owners satisfied with it's manual?

I have found the 2400SA to be a dependable modem. But, you're
right, the manual leaves much to be desired. This may, however,
have as much to do with the complexity of the subject of
communications as with the quality of the explanation of the
operation of the modem.

--
Bob Breedlove  SYSOP: BOBsBBS (916/929-7511)
3/12/24 - 8-N-1 - 24 hours - MS-DOS Operating System

ca063@unocss.UUCP (Thomas Davis) (11/30/88)

From article <8811282004.AA13418@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by GDAU100@BGUVM.BITNET ("Jonathan B. Owen"):
> Spencer Sun asks what the point is of storing telephone numbers in the
> modem's Non-Volatile RAM.  There is no point, if you don't plan to
> carry it around with you and hook it up to various computers.
>
> As I wrote before, I recomment this 100% Hayes Compatible modem very much.
> I would say that you really get your money's worth, but since it is so
> cheap, that would be contrary to my recommendation!
>
> P.S. Are all you 2400SA owners satisfied with it's manual?

  I've owned one now for close to a year.  The last 2400 BPS modem I
tried was a Everex, and that was junk compared to the 2400SA.

  I've notice a bug in the firmware.  If you are dialing out, and have
call progress enable (that's where the modem says BUSY if the called
number is busy), and the modem you call up answers the phone BEFORE you
get a "RING" on the line, the 2400SA just hangs there.  It's not locked
up or anything, it just doesn't know that a modem has answered the call.
Since the VAX system here at UNO loves to answer the phone that way, I've
had to permantly disable that feature.

  As for the manual, it's lousy.  But I've seen worse.  At least it has
an index, and documents all or most of the commands.

  The NVRAM I just love.  DIP switches?  Not one in sight.  As for keeping
phone numbers in NVRAM, I've finally used it when the Amiga the 2400SA went
in to work, and the 2400 stayed home with the VT100.  Makes it easy to
dial the same number that the ol' terminal program did..

--
Internet : ca063%unocss.unl.edu@RELAY.CS.NET | Thomas Davis
BitNet   : conslt16@unoma1                   | Consultant, Campus Computing

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (11/30/88)

("Jonathan B. Owen") writes:
>As I wrote before, I recomment this 100% Hayes Compatible modem very much.
>I would say that you really get your money's worth, but since it is so
>cheap, that would be contrary to my recommendation!

I agree that this modem is a terrific buy, but I don't think that you can
say that it's "100% Hayes compatible". The synchronous mode of a Hayes
2400 is not supported. Many of the "ATS=xx" commands are not rejected by the
the Practical Peripherals 2400SA, but they also are effectively "no-ops".
Clearly you don't care about those, and I don't either. I'd say it's
compatible with a Hayes to the extent that it does everything I need done.
Buy it. Not over $180 these days in the US, I don't know about Israel.

>P.S. Are all you 2400SA owners satisfied with it's manual?

No.
Its manual is not the worst thing I've ever seen, and it doesn't say
anything wrong, but I've read it more times than I should have to, and
more times than many of the classicly terse Unix manual pages. Once you
know what it's all about, then the manual is perfectly clear. And the
index is barflegarbij.
--
Jean-Pierre Radley		Honi soit		jpr@dasys1.UUCP
New York, New York		qui mal			...!hombre!jpradley!jpr

8b@cup.portal.com (S Spencer Sun) (12/02/88)

i]qSomeone (I forget who) said:

> ...Many of the "ATS=xx" commands are not rejected by the
> the Practical Peripherals 2400SA, but they also are effectively "no-ops".

Which ones in particular? Never heard that before...

> P.S. Are all you 2400SA owners satisfied with it's manual?

You mean, "its" manual...no...I've seen much better...consider Prometheus,
which even had bit-mapped I/O registers to aid programmers. And much better
definition of commands and such.

However, the 2400SA -is- a very good modem. I recommend it too...

[ ]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::[ ]
 |   8b@cup.portal.com             |  Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.    |
 |   sun.com|cup.portal.com|8b     |  A Smith & Wesson beats four aces.      |
 |   sun|portal|cup.portal.com|8b  |  In case of doubt, make it sound con-   |
 |   Eight Ball #1                 |  vincing.                               |
 |   Corner Pocket BBS - Balto, MD |  If you can't dazzle'em with dexterity, |
 |   (301) 821-1497  300/1200/2400 |  then baffle'em with bull----.          |
[ ]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::[ ]

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (12/05/88)

In article <12006@cup.portal.com> 8b@cup.portal.com (S Spencer Sun) writes:
>Someone (I forget who) said:
>> ...Many of the "ATS=xx" commands are not rejected by the
>> the Practical Peripherals 2400SA, but they also are effectively "no-ops".
>Which ones in particular? Never heard that before...

I said it.

The manual is clear at least in this regard: certain of the S-registers
descriptions carry the notation SSNIH. This is explained as
  "Software Supported Not Implemented in Hardware".
These are S-register settings having to do with synchronous operation,
which the PM2400SA does not support. You will not get an ERROR if you try
to affect one of these registers with an AT command, you'll get an OK.
But the modem really does nothing differently as a result of the command,
so why shouldn't I call it a NO-OP?